Basic question about bluetooth mouse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I've never used bluetooth. I now have two of these tablet/keyboard combo 10 Windows 10 PCs:

RCA Cambio W101 V2 Windows 10 tablet with optional keyboard

There's one USB port on them but don't want to devote that to a USB mouse sensor, so I bought a Plugable Bluetooth Travel Mouse.

I just received this mouse and wonder if I only have one of these computers on (and the other shut down or in suspend), can I use this one bluetooth mouse with either of the computers? Or do I have to buy a separate bluetooth mouse for each machine?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The answer appears to be yes. I just paired the mouse with 3 different computers. Wow. Bluetooth rules. I just wish this mouse's scroll wheel could be set to smooth as well as incremental spinning like at least one of my other mice. I don't like that jerkiness. Don't know what use the DPI button has. It modifies the mouse's sensitivity, I guess. Maybe it changes the speed of the cursor relative to the amount of movement of the physical mouse? I'm not seeing that yet. When I press the DPI button on top of the mouse I can't detect any changes.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's not that easy. Paired with 3 computers but only the last one has it working. I think the pairing process, at least the one I'm using, is creating a new mouse code when paired. So, go back to a computer where you paired previously and you find that the mouse isn't functional. Windows says it's paired and working but it's not. That's goofy, but it is what it is. Reading online I see there are different methods you can use in the pairing action.

How to use a bluetooth mouse with multiple computers

I don't comprehend the whys and wherefores (the site didn't explain). Gotta do more research. Worst come to worst I can remove the mouse from a computer and repair to get it working again. I was hoping I could avoid that process. Maybe the complexities are to insure security.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
The complexities are to prevent RF interference on nearby computers paired with the same mouse. Bluetooth is RF - range about 30 feet or so.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm hoping I can use the mouse with either of 3 mobile computers without having to get the pairing handshake rigamarole each time (i.e. remove and then pair again) every time I use it with other than the last-used computer I used it with. Possible?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
It should work provided only the one you use is powered up.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It should work provided only the one you use is powered up.
Not sure, maybe it is. Just fired up this tablet and the BT mouse responded right away. I did some configuring -- ran an app that required installing a Windows component, which was finally found and installed, and during that process the BT mouse could not move the mouse cursor but it was movable using the touchpad. After the component install the BT mouse functionality returned.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Not sure, maybe it is. Just fired up this tablet and the BT mouse responded right away. I did some configuring -- ran an app that required installing a Windows component, which was finally found and installed, and during that process the BT mouse could not move the mouse cursor but it was movable using the touchpad. After the component install the BT mouse functionality returned.

When you say, "installing a Windows component", does that include downloading it? And do you have 2.4Ghz wifi on that PC? It sounds like RF interference from the wifi during the heavy download, preventing the mouse from functioning properly.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
When you say, "installing a Windows component", does that include downloading it? And do you have 2.4Ghz wifi on that PC? It sounds like RF interference from the wifi during the heavy download, preventing the mouse from functioning properly.
I don't know where Windows 10 (32bit!!!) was getting the component. It was NTVDM, Virtual DOS Machine: "Allows MS-DOS apps to run on Intel 80386 or higher computers when there is already another operating system running and controlling the hardware. Introduced in Windows 2.1; not available in any 64-bit edition of Windows." Windows said it needed to install it when I tried to run FoxPro for Windows 3.1 from its executable. It took a while for Windows 10 to find it, I don't know where it got it, internally or by download but it evidently did install and the program launched and I think it worked OK. There was an error but I'm pretty sure it was because of some of my code that needs correction(s).

Yes, the wifi is 2.4ghz. Probably interference. Temporary interference because it started working again after the installation of NTVDM.

At the moment that bluetooth mouse isn't working with any of my PCs. Don't know why. I removed it from one it was working on, so it should install on another but it's not. Even after removing/reinserting the batteries. I'm finding bluetooth to be problematical. The vendor (Plugable, and the model is BT-mouse3), has a page where it looks like I can research issues beyond the scanty get started guide provided in 1/2 dozen languages.

I think I can get it working again somehow. I think it might be impossible to use it with more than one device, at least without a lot of hocus pocus. Will likely just use it with one and deal with issues of moving to another when I need to, which shouldn't be often.

Last edited: