Baseball Rumor Mill: Yankees trying to get AROD!!!!!!!!!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: ThePresence
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold
you guys keep ignoring my posts. :(

either that or your not seeing the significance of them. let me try one more time.

I'm willing to bet that between 40% to 50% of Yankees fans AT yankee stadium on any given day actually has a home in NJ or CT. considering NJ and CT are #1 and #2 in income per capita year after year, it is safe to say a LOT of Yankees money comes from NJ and CT. IF you can take all the NJ fans OUT of Yankee stadium you will REDUCE the income of the yankees.

as i posted above, there are about 4 or 5 counties in central jersey that has a population of 5 mill or so, that's more than ANY other metropolitan area other than NY or Chicago. in roughly the same physical area too. a baseball team in NJ WOULD effictively reduce the market size for the NY yankees.

I am a Yankee season ticket holder, I live in NJ. I don't care what team plays in Ocean County or the Meadowlands or what, the Yankees are my team, have always been my team and will always be my team. The answer is not more expansion, it's CONTRACTION. Contract the markets that can't compete. Yeah, it sucks, but that's what happens to any business in a capitalist society.

even contraction won't change the fact that 1/5th of the US population lives within 100 miles of yankee stadium, even if you contract HALF the teams no other team will have such favorable demographics and the only way to combat that is to have more teams in a market that is so overcrowded.
Okay, so if you want to MOVE the Royals to NJ, or move the Expos to NJ, I may agree with you. But you can't make NEW teams. The talent pool is diluted enough as it is.
btw, you might not but a lot of people that can't get season tickets to the yankees, or have kids but don't want to make the trip to NY, or the casual fan will go to a game in NJ if the stadium is put in a convenient place, shoot, build it right off the NJ Turnpike between exit 9 and exit 10 and give the stadium it's own exit and a spur to the train.
The people who don't want to make the trip to the stadium, don't. The people who find it worth the effort to get out to the stadium will come back no matter who plays in Jersey.

if i had the money, i would WITHOUT hesitation buy the Montreal expos from MLB and move them to NJ. i'd be willing to bet that a MLB team in NJ with decent location etc could EASILY draw 3 million a year.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl

I guess you didn't catch last years postseason numbers. The success of Boston made for huge boost in the overall interest of the postseason. Just in case I'm not being clear, interest in a sport = good for said sport. Can you imagine how good it would be if they actually won the championship? Personally, I don't know too many people that wouldn't like to see Boston get the monkey off their back. Arod would have brought them closer to this. Foregone conclusions as to the ultimate champion are rarely good for any sport. This is no exception. The fact that you seem to be arguing that it is just shows you to be a myopic NY fan.
That's ridiculous. So it's great if Boston gets him, but terrible if NY gets him because more people will watch?!?! Insane. What makes it bad or good for the sport is the exact same thing if Boston gets him or NY. Just ask a KC fan.
As far as Stein understanding the importance of the people who help him win, that's laughable. You're talking about a man with a spoiled, petulant mentality commonly found in 6 year olds. He's alienated Torre and Cashman, pissed off DJ earlier last year, and generally annoyed God knows how many other players and personnel in the organization. Stein understands nothing but how to sign checks. To credit him with anything more is amusing at best.
Hahaha. Another ridiculous statement. Steinbrenner is playing by the rules, and he is willing to spend more than other owners. Don't hate the guy for being a great businessman. He understands that the more you spend on the team USUALLY adds up to more wins. More wins = More fans in the seats. More fans in the seats = a nice return on his investment. And not only the fans in the seats, also the TV money. It ain't about the size of the market, just ask the Mets. It's about WINNING. Fans love to root for a winner. He spends money to give them that winner.

comon guy, you know better than that.

you talk as if steinbrenner is spending at a cost to himself. he can afford to spend more because his team generates more money than other teams and not necessarily because of how good they are, look at the mets, their HORRIBLE and they STILL generate more income than 60% of the teams in MLB. don't just blame other owners and say it's because they aren't willing to spend the money. the Diamondbacks no matter HOW good they are can never market to more than 8 or 9 million. the Yankees can market to about 25 million.

Do you know why his team generates more money than other teams? Because they win, and have been winning for years, so they built a national fanbase = more TV money. Do you know why they have been winning for so many years? Because the owner spends the money! The Mets just make my point. Sure, they may make more than other teams but they DON'T WIN. Because they DON'T SPEND. There are plenty of owners out there that are worth 10x George's. They are not willing to make the investment.

BS

the NY Mets YEAR after YEAR generate MORE income than the Atlanta braves and it's NOT because they don't spend or don't win.

it's because the WHOLE FVCKING state of GA is smaller in population than the greater NY area. comon quit lying to yourself.

How can you possible know that? Maybe if the Braves spent more then they'd make more? No, the Braves DO NOT win. How many WS's did they win? Last year the Mets payroll was $116,253,927. The Braves were $103,912,011.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
How can you possible know that? Maybe if the Braves spent more then they'd make more? No, the Braves DO NOT win. How many WS's did they win? Last year the Mets payroll was $116,253,927. The Braves were $103,912,011.

i can know approximately just based on number of fans in the seats. there just aren't as many baseball fans in the atlanta area as there is in the tristate area.

oh btw, did i mention that the state of ga is probably bigger than the tristate area in size.

you cannot compare the most densely populated part of the US with anywhere else. it just doesn't work.

lets say there were NO MLB teams and a league was starting, how much of a premium would a team in NY fetch vs ANY other part of the US??

how much of a premium would the 2ND team in NY fetch vs ANY other team in MLB??

you are in denial bud, plain and simple.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

i can know approximately just based on number of fans in the seats. there just aren't as many baseball fans in the atlanta area as there is in the tristate area.

oh btw, did i mention that the state of ga is probably bigger than the tristate area in size.

you cannot compare the most densely populated part of the US with anywhere else. it just doesn't work.

lets say there were NO MLB teams and a league was starting, how much of a premium would a team in NY fetch vs ANY other part of the US??

Okay, so explain to me this. Why do the Yankees have a national fanbase? How many other baseball teams have the national and international interest that the Yankees do? Why?
The Braves don't really have a national following, although they try with the superstation.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000

Okay, so explain to me this. Why do the Yankees have a national fanbase? How many other baseball teams have the national and international interest that the Yankees do? Why?
The Braves don't really have a national following, although they try with the superstation.

Thats OBVIOUS because so many NYers to start off with that move all over the country. please.

also, MOST of the revenues are generated locally anyway. and yes, when the yankees go on the road the home team draws more for the yankees because of the star players on the yankees. yes, all of that plays a part, but nothing is as significant as the fact that the NY Yankees can, year after year depend on the HIGHEST spending in Yankee stadium, concessions, advertising etc than any other team. how can you continue to deny that. face it, yes, any team with the winning tradition of the yankees could draw the national type of audience but thats the EFFECT and not the CAUSE. the CAUSE is the large home market.

Led Zeppelin

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Argo
you guys keep ignoring my posts. :(

either that or your not seeing the significance of them. let me try one more time.

I'm willing to bet that between 40% to 50% of Yankees fans AT yankee stadium on any given day actually has a home in NJ or CT. considering NJ and CT are #1 and #2 in income per capita year after year, it is safe to say a LOT of Yankees money comes from NJ and CT. IF you can take all the NJ fans OUT of Yankee stadium you will REDUCE the income of the yankees.

as i posted above, there are about 4 or 5 counties in central jersey that has a population of 5 mill or so, that's more than ANY other metropolitan area other than NY or Chicago. in roughly the same physical area too. a baseball team in NJ WOULD effictively reduce the market size for the NY yankees.

A lot of Yankee fans in CT and/or NJ are life long yankee fans, where love for the yankees is transfered from generation to generation (I'm a good example). I dunno if you live up here, but if you do you'll know that Yankees are the pride tri-state area, everybody talks about them. By adding a 3rd team to the mix you wont' be reducing yankee fan base at all.

I wouldn't say the Yankees are the pride of CT. The Hartford Courant did a study last year and it showed that the majority of Yankee fans in CT are in Fairfield County, with the dividing line being I-84. I'd say the Yankees are the pride of NY/NJ, but certainly not Connecticut. The Red Sox however, are the Pride of New England. One thing that I agree with that you said is about love for your team, not just necessarily the Yankees, being passed down from generation to generation. My great grandfather was a Sox fan, and everyone on down has been as well. Thanks Great-Grandpa. :D

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

Thats OBVIOUS because so many NYers to start off with that move all over the country. please.

also, MOST of the revenues are generated locally anyway. and yes, when the yankees go on the road the home team draws more for the yankees because of the star players on the yankees. yes, all of that plays a part, but nothing is as significant as the fact that the NY Yankees can, year after year depend on the HIGHEST spending in Yankee stadium, concessions, advertising etc than any other team. how can you continue to deny that. face it, yes, any team with the winning tradition of the yankees could draw the national type of audience but thats the EFFECT and not the CAUSE. the CAUSE is the large home market.

Hmmm, did the Yankees making the most in the majors in the early '80s when they SUCKED? They couldn't draw at all.

I thnk the cause is the owners willingness to put a winner on the field. People DO NOT root for a loser. The Met's play in the same market and can't win. Why? They should have the same income as the Yankees if it was all about the size of the market? The answer is BECAUSE they don't SPEND the money. Yeah, they may make money, but they don't spend it.

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
The curse strikes again!

Mike Lupica:

"The Yankees, loaded already, get the best all-around player they have had since Mickey Mantle was young, and give up Alfonso Soriano to do it. Why do they do it? Because they can."

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
sweet! I will be watching every game this year on the YES network if this trade goes through :)

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

Okay, if this doesn't prove my point, I don't know if anything will.
The Yankees were first in attendance last year.
The Mets (who share the same overcrowded market) were SIXTEENTH!
People want to see a winner. If you don't spend the money, you don't win. If you don't win you don't make money. It requires an investment. George is willing. Not too many others are.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: coldcut
Selig better not approve this!!!!!!!!!!

Why the hell not? On what grounds will he not approve it?
I doubt you'd be saying that if the Sox were the team signing him.

Lager

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003

Of course not, but I won't complain if we don't get him. Even you admit this is bad for baseball.

Red Sox situation was different, we were going to part with Nomar and Manny to get his ass.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

Of course not, but I won't complain if we don't get him. Even you admit this is bad for baseball.

Red Sox situation was different, we were going to part with Nomar and Manny to get his ass.

And we parted with Soriano. This was not a free agent signing, it was a trade. Yes, I don't think this is good for baseball, but he can't object to the trade on those grounds! If one team can get him, any team can. It would be completely unfair for him to allow the trade to the sox and not allow it the Yanks.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003

I guess you didn't catch last years postseason numbers. The success of Boston made for huge boost in the overall interest of the postseason. Just in case I'm not being clear, interest in a sport = good for said sport. Can you imagine how good it would be if they actually won the championship? Personally, I don't know too many people that wouldn't like to see Boston get the monkey off their back. Arod would have brought them closer to this. Foregone conclusions as to the ultimate champion are rarely good for any sport. This is no exception. The fact that you seem to be arguing that it is just shows you to be a myopic NY fan.
That's ridiculous. So it's great if Boston gets him, but terrible if NY gets him because more people will watch?!?! Insane. What makes it bad or good for the sport is the exact same thing if Boston gets him or NY. Just ask a KC fan.
As far as Stein understanding the importance of the people who help him win, that's laughable. You're talking about a man with a spoiled, petulant mentality commonly found in 6 year olds. He's alienated Torre and Cashman, pissed off DJ earlier last year, and generally annoyed God knows how many other players and personnel in the organization. Stein understands nothing but how to sign checks. To credit him with anything more is amusing at best.
Hahaha. Another ridiculous statement. Steinbrenner is playing by the rules, and he is willing to spend more than other owners. Don't hate the guy for being a great businessman. He understands that the more you spend on the team USUALLY adds up to more wins. More wins = More fans in the seats. More fans in the seats = a nice return on his investment. And not only the fans in the seats, also the TV money. It ain't about the size of the market, just ask the Mets. It's about WINNING. Fans love to root for a winner. He spends money to give them that winner.

you talk as if steinbrenner is spending at a cost to himself. he can afford to spend more because his team generates more money than other teams and not necessarily because of how good they are, look at the mets, their HORRIBLE and they STILL generate more income than 60% of the teams in MLB. don't just blame other owners and say it's because they aren't willing to spend the money. the Diamondbacks no matter HOW good they are can never market to more than 8 or 9 million. the Yankees can market to about 25 million.

Do you know why his team generates more money than other teams? Because they win, and have been winning for years, so they built a national fanbase = more TV money. Do you know why they have been winning for so many years? Because the owner spends the money! The Mets just make my point. Sure, they may make more than other teams but they DON'T WIN. Because they DON'T SPEND. There are plenty of owners out there that are worth 10x George's. They are not willing to make the investment.

I swear I can remember a long slump the Yankees have had. The Yankees have the most money, because they are in the #1 market. They dont really have a national fanbase, like you say.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: digitalsm

I swear I can remember a long slump the Yankees have had. The Yankees have the most money, because they are in the #1 market. They dont really have a national fanbase, like you say.

That's right, they sucked in the '80s and DID NOT make money. The Mets have the same market and were 16th in attendance. Explain that?! And they DO have a national fanbase, arguing that is just ridiculous.

Aug 14, 2001

Here's a tip: read up about the finances of baseball. It is virtually impossible for a small market team to generate as much money as a team like the Yankees. Even if they win 10 years in a row, they just won't be able to sustain a $200 million payroll. Why? Because their market is already small. The Yankees have an insane advantage because of their television network.

Anyone that says 'Hey, if small market teams spend the money, then they'll win and eventually get a large revenue stream' has no idea what they're talking about.

And your comment on personal finance shows that you have no idea what you're talking about. Again, the Yankees have the largest revenue stream - by far. Steinbrenner never uses his personal wealth to support the payroll. Why should David Glass or Pohlad do the same?

Dudd

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001
Salary cap = good. Look at the NFL: a team in freaking Green Bay, WI can compete and beat teams in New York, Philadelphia, Boston, etc. There is a reason football is the number one sport in America, while baseball continues to slide.

Shlong

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2002

Actually
The Braves were America's Team or the Nation's Favorite team for many years. Over the 90's Braves were favorite team according to Harris Polls by a wide margin over the Yankees. Recently however Yankees took over as the #1 favorite team, and Braves are now #2.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: RabidMongoose

Here's a tip: read up about the finances of baseball. It is virtually impossible for a small market team to generate as much money as a team like the Yankees. Even if they win 10 years in a row, they just won't be able to sustain a $200 million payroll. Why? Because their market is already small. The Yankees have an insane advantage because of their television network.

Anyone that says 'Hey, if small market teams spend the money, then they'll win and eventually get a large revenue stream' has no idea what they're talking about.

And your comment on personal finance shows that you have no idea what you're talking about. Again, the Yankees have the largest revenue stream - by far. Steinbrenner never uses his personal wealth to support the payroll. Why should David Glass or Pohlad do the same?

Okay, fine. Explain the Mets to me.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Shlong

Actually
The Braves were America's Team or the Nation's Favorite team for many years. Over the 90's Braves were favorite team according to Harris Polls by a wide margin over the Yankees. Recently however Yankees took over as the #1 favorite team, and Braves are now #2.
Okay, so what? Just proves my point that they Yankee national fanbase is not because NY'ers moved all over the place. Because then it would've always been like that.

Aug 14, 2001

Okay, if this doesn't prove my point, I don't know if anything will.
The Yankees were first in attendance last year.
The Mets (who share the same overcrowded market) were SIXTEENTH!
People want to see a winner. If you don't spend the money, you don't win. If you don't win you don't make money. It requires an investment. George is willing. Not too many others are.

Again, you're showing that you have no idea about the economics of baseball. The Mets are actually part of the problem, too...but obviously not as big as a team like the Yankees.

If you don't win, you don't maximize your profits. Sure. It requires an investment? OK...George is willing to win? You act as if Steinbrenner is this angel that loves to spend his own personal wealth in the team? Sorry to burst your bubble, but he's just like any other owner. He will NOT spend his personal wealth to put up a $200 million payroll.

Again, a small market team will NEVER be able to sustain a ridiculously high payroll. Even if a small market team wins 5 years in a row, they still cannot do it.

Shlong

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Shlong

Actually
Okay, so what?

So it makes your statement of
"The Braves don't really have a national following, although they try with the superstation." wrong.