Baseball Rumor Mill: Yankees trying to get AROD!!!!!!!!!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
This is great for the Rangers. They desperately needed to dump his salary so they can concentrate on building a young team. Yay!

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: murphy55d
And now you see why my interest in baseball has gradually dropped to zero. Believe me, I'm not the only one either.

Again, I'm not referring to you specifically, but how come we weren't hearing this sentiment expressed when the Sox were pursuing A-rod?

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Yankees will soon learn that even though Arod is best position player in baseball, even he is not worth that salary. And they should move Jeter to third, let Arod play SS since he's the best at the most critical infield position.

xospec1alk

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
why hasn't anyone mentioned the mets and how much they've spent over the past couple of years trying to buy a championship? the yankees are just better at acquiring players and are willing to give up more than any other team. so be it. y'all just jealous because your team isn't the one winning the world series all the time. and keep in mind that the yankees haven't won in two years...

brunswickite

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
Catcher - Jorge Posada
1st Base - Giambi
2nd Base - ??
SS = Jeter
3rd = A-rod
Outfield = Sheffield, Matsui, Bernie Williams, Kenny Loften

Pitching - Moose, Brown, Vasquez, Rivera

This team is amazing with like 9 potential all stars

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: xospec1alk
why hasn't anyone mentioned the mets and how much they've spent over the past couple of years trying to buy a championship? the yankees are just better at acquiring players and are willing to give up more than any other team. so be it. y'all just jealous because your team isn't the one winning the world series all the time. and keep in mind that the yankees haven't won in two years...

yankees fan huh.

btw, it's 3 years, marlins, angels and diamondbacks.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
When people talk about the "small market" teams, they are really saying that the demand for baseball is not equal across the country. Either the owners are not willing to invest in their teams to field a winner to attract consumers or there are not enough baseball consumers in that area interested enough to support a team. Some teams need to close or move.

I am willing to bet that the Yankees win at least 100 games this season and make it to the playoffs. But I am not sure they have enough pitching to get past Boston or win the Series.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Dr Smooth
When people talk about the "small market" teams, they are really saying that the demand for baseball is not equal across the country. Either the owners are not willing to invest in their teams to field a winner to attract consumers or there are not enough baseball consumers in that area interested enough to support a team. Some teams need to close or move.

I am willing to bet that the Yankees win at least 100 games this season and make it to the playoffs. But I am not sure they have enough pitching to get past Boston or win the Series.

Watch Josh Beckett be in a Yankee uniform halfway through the season. :D

Lager

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
Adding Arod to the Yankee lineup would do what it did for Rangers.

Absolutely nothing except magnficiant stats.

Schilling + 2004 = Red Sox championship.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: coldcut
Adding Arod to the Yankee lineup would do what it did for Rangers.

Absolutely nothing except magnficiant stats.

Schilling + 2004 = Red Sox championship.

Ahh, stop with the Sox championship already. Not gonna happen.

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
"The Yankees' payroll currently stands at $170.3 million, not including left-hander Gabe White, who remains in arbitration and will earn at least $1,825,000. A swap of Soriano for Rodriguez leaves New York's payroll at about $190 million."

rolleye.gif

blues008

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2001
What I don't understand is how MLB is allowing Texas to offer $70 million in salary relief.

It was my understanding that the limit in cash dealings was $500,000 before MLB's approval.

How is this good for baseball?

BMdoobieW

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
I'm still mad that the Yankees beat the Brewers when I went to see the two play at Yankee Stadium many years ago. :(

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: RedPickle
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl
Why take the best SS in baseball and make him play 3B? Did I miss something? Shuffle Jeter's ass over to third. Don't tell me it's Jeter's team (which it is) because big Stein doesn't give a fvck and he's obviously running the show now.

*sigh* Thanks you players union, for killing a trade which would have been good for baseball and allowing one which is terrible for baseball :|

A ROD going to Boston would have been good for Baseball? LoL. You are silly. Jeter is the captain of the team, and no matter how much you think he is of an a$$, Stein still knows how much Jeter means to the organization. Captain Jeter, A Rod and Sheffield will lead the Yankees to another world championship. No matter what all of you say out there, if your team COULD build one like that of the Yankees, I guarantee you would not be bitching about it.

I guess you didn't catch last years postseason numbers. The success of Boston made for huge boost in the overall interest of the postseason. Just in case I'm not being clear, interest in a sport = good for said sport. Can you imagine how good it would be if they actually won the championship? Personally, I don't know too many people that wouldn't like to see Boston get the monkey off their back. Arod would have brought them closer to this. Foregone conclusions as to the ultimate champion are rarely good for any sport. This is no exception. The fact that you seem to be arguing that it is just shows you to be a myopic NY fan.

As far as Stein understanding the importance of the people who help him win, that's laughable. You're talking about a man with a spoiled, petulant mentality commonly found in 6 year olds. He's alienated Torre and Cashman, pissed off DJ earlier last year, and generally annoyed God knows how many other players and personnel in the organization. Stein understands nothing but how to sign checks. To credit him with anything more is amusing at best.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
you guys keep ignoring my posts. :(

either that or your not seeing the significance of them. let me try one more time.

I'm willing to bet that between 40% to 50% of Yankees fans AT yankee stadium on any given day actually has a home in NJ or CT. considering NJ and CT are #1 and #2 in income per capita year after year, it is safe to say a LOT of Yankees money comes from NJ and CT. IF you can take all the NJ fans OUT of Yankee stadium you will REDUCE the income of the yankees.

as i posted above, there are about 4 or 5 counties in central jersey that has a population of 5 mill or so, that's more than ANY other metropolitan area other than NY or Chicago. in roughly the same physical area too. a baseball team in NJ WOULD effictively reduce the market size for the NY yankees.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

I guess you didn't catch last years postseason numbers. The success of Boston made for huge boost in the overall interest of the postseason. Just in case I'm not being clear, interest in a sport = good for said sport. Can you imagine how good it would be if they actually won the championship? Personally, I don't know too many people that wouldn't like to see Boston get the monkey off their back. Arod would have brought them closer to this. Foregone conclusions as to the ultimate champion are rarely good for any sport. This is no exception. The fact that you seem to be arguing that it is just shows you to be a myopic NY fan.
That's ridiculous. So it's great if Boston gets him, but terrible if NY gets him because more people will watch?!?! Insane. What makes it bad or good for the sport is the exact same thing if Boston gets him or NY. Just ask a KC fan.
As far as Stein understanding the importance of the people who help him win, that's laughable. You're talking about a man with a spoiled, petulant mentality commonly found in 6 year olds. He's alienated Torre and Cashman, pissed off DJ earlier last year, and generally annoyed God knows how many other players and personnel in the organization. Stein understands nothing but how to sign checks. To credit him with anything more is amusing at best.
Hahaha. Another ridiculous statement. Steinbrenner is playing by the rules, and he is willing to spend more than other owners. Don't hate the guy for being a great businessman. He understands that the more you spend on the team USUALLY adds up to more wins. More wins = More fans in the seats. More fans in the seats = a nice return on his investment. And not only the fans in the seats, also the TV money. It ain't about the size of the market, just ask the Mets. It's about WINNING. Fans love to root for a winner. He spends money to give them that winner.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold

either that or your not seeing the significance of them. let me try one more time.

I'm willing to bet that between 40% to 50% of Yankees fans AT yankee stadium on any given day actually has a home in NJ or CT. considering NJ and CT are #1 and #2 in income per capita year after year, it is safe to say a LOT of Yankees money comes from NJ and CT. IF you can take all the NJ fans OUT of Yankee stadium you will REDUCE the income of the yankees.

as i posted above, there are about 4 or 5 counties in central jersey that has a population of 5 mill or so, that's more than ANY other metropolitan area other than NY or Chicago. in roughly the same physical area too. a baseball team in NJ WOULD effictively reduce the market size for the NY yankees.

I am a Yankee season ticket holder, I live in NJ. I don't care what team plays in Ocean County or the Meadowlands or what, the Yankees are my team, have always been my team and will always be my team. The answer is not more expansion, it's CONTRACTION. Contract the markets that can't compete. Yeah, it sucks, but that's what happens to any business in a capitalist society.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: ThePresence

That's ridiculous. So it's great if Boston gets him, but terrible if NY gets him because more people will watch?!?! Insane. What makes it bad or good for the sport is the exact same thing if Boston gets him or NY. Just ask a KC fan.
Hahaha. Another ridiculous statement. Steinbrenner is playing by the rules, and he is willing to spend more than other owners. Don't hate the guy for being a great businessman. He understands that the more you spend on the team USUALLY adds up to more wins. More wins = More fans in the seats. More fans in the seats = a nice return on his investment. And not only the fans in the seats, also the TV money. It ain't about the size of the market, just ask the Mets. It's about WINNING. Fans love to root for a winner. He spends money to give them that winner.

comon guy, you know better than that.

you talk as if steinbrenner is spending at a cost to himself. he can afford to spend more because his team generates more money than other teams and not necessarily because of how good they are, look at the mets, their HORRIBLE and they STILL generate more income than 60% of the teams in MLB. don't just blame other owners and say it's because they aren't willing to spend the money. the Diamondbacks no matter HOW good they are can never market to more than 8 or 9 million. the Yankees can market to about 25 million.

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000

A lot of Yankee fans in CT and/or NJ are life long yankee fans, where love for the yankees is transfered from generation to generation (I'm a good example). I dunno if you live up here, but if you do you'll know that Yankees are the pride tri-state area, everybody talks about them. By adding a 3rd team to the mix you wont' be reducing yankee fan base at all.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000

I am a Yankee season ticket holder, I live in NJ. I don't care what team plays in Ocean County or the Meadowlands or what, the Yankees are my team, have always been my team and will always be my team. The answer is not more expansion, it's CONTRACTION. Contract the markets that can't compete. Yeah, it sucks, but that's what happens to any business in a capitalist society.

even contraction won't change the fact that 1/5th of the US population lives within 100 miles of yankee stadium, even if you contract HALF the teams no other team will have such favorable demographics and the only way to combat that is to have more teams in a market that is so overcrowded.

btw, you might not but a lot of people that can't get season tickets to the yankees, or have kids but don't want to make the trip to NY, or the casual fan will go to a game in NJ if the stadium is put in a convenient place, shoot, build it right off the NJ Turnpike between exit 9 and exit 10 and give the stadium it's own exit and a spur to the train.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

you talk as if steinbrenner is spending at a cost to himself. he can afford to spend more because his team generates more money than other teams and not necessarily because of how good they are, look at the mets, their HORRIBLE and they STILL generate more income than 60% of the teams in MLB. don't just blame other owners and say it's because they aren't willing to spend the money. the Diamondbacks no matter HOW good they are can never market to more than 8 or 9 million. the Yankees can market to about 25 million.

Do you know why his team generates more money than other teams? Because they win, and have been winning for years, so they built a national fanbase = more TV money. Do you know why they have been winning for so many years? Because the owner spends the money! The Mets just make my point. Sure, they may make more than other teams but they DON'T WIN. Because they DON'T SPEND. There are plenty of owners out there that are worth 10x George's. They are not willing to make the investment.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Argo

A lot of Yankee fans in CT and/or NJ are life long yankee fans, where love for the yankees is transfered from generation to generation (I'm a good example). I dunno if you live up here, but if you do you'll know that Yankees are the pride tri-state area, everybody talks about them. By adding a 3rd team to the mix you wont' be reducing yankee fan base at all.

i live in central NJ, have only been here about 6 yrs and this is what i know, NJ isn't what it was 15 yrs ago. there a LOTS and LOTS of people that have been relocated here recently, the old marketing no longer works in NJ.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

even contraction won't change the fact that 1/5th of the US population lives within 100 miles of yankee stadium, even if you contract HALF the teams no other team will have such favorable demographics and the only way to combat that is to have more teams in a market that is so overcrowded.
Okay, so if you want to MOVE the Royals to NJ, or move the Expos to NJ, I may agree with you. But you can't make NEW teams. The talent pool is diluted enough as it is.
btw, you might not but a lot of people that can't get season tickets to the yankees, or have kids but don't want to make the trip to NY, or the casual fan will go to a game in NJ if the stadium is put in a convenient place, shoot, build it right off the NJ Turnpike between exit 9 and exit 10 and give the stadium it's own exit and a spur to the train.
The people who don't want to make the trip to the stadium, don't. The people who find it worth the effort to get out to the stadium will come back no matter who plays in Jersey.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000

Do you know why his team generates more money than other teams? Because they win, and have been winning for years, so they built a national fanbase = more TV money. Do you know why they have been winning for so many years? Because the owner spends the money! The Mets just make my point. Sure, they may make more than other teams but they DON'T WIN. Because they DON'T SPEND. There are plenty of owners out there that are worth 10x George's. They are not willing to make the investment.

BS

the NY Mets YEAR after YEAR generate MORE income than the Atlanta braves and it's NOT because they don't spend or don't win.

it's because the WHOLE FVCKING state of GA is smaller in population than the greater NY area. comon quit lying to yourself.