Barr brings back the Federal Death Penalty after 2 decades of stayed executions

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
We don't need to "justify" the death penalty.
We? Don't you dare include me in your repulsively primitive blood lust.

In 1994, in the twilight of his career at age 85, the great Supreme Court Justice Harry A. Blackmun, a supporter of the death penalty on the court for 20 years, finally admitted he had been wrong:

"From this day forward, I no longer shall tinker with the machinery of death," he wrote.

"It seems that the decision whether a human being should live or die is so inherently subjective -- rife with all of life's understanding, experiences, prejudices, and passions -- that it inevitably defies the rationality and consistency required by the Constitution."

He added that, "The role of race exacerbates the inherent arbitrariness of the death penalty."

"I may not live to see that day, [that the death penalty is abolished] " he said, "but I have faith that eventually it will arrive."

Justice Blackmun was a giant of judicial intellect, tempered by heart.

You, good sir, are a morally stunted pygmy.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Not something that will cause me to lose any sleep. Zzzzzzzzz
The government has a solution that would cure any insomnia of yours permanently. Patience, though. They've been encountering some problems with their death cocktail suppliers. It's that damn Hippocratic oath again!

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
The government has a solution that would cure any insomnia of yours permanently. Patience, though. They've been encountering some problems with their death cocktail suppliers. It's that damn Hippocratic oath again!

Lots of other methods available. We can bring back the old classic hanging, the firing squad, or even Sparky the electric chair.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Lots of other methods available. We can bring back the old classic hanging, the firing squad, or even Sparky the electric chair.
Your enthusiasm disturbs me. o_O

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
We don't need to "justify" the death penalty.
Not hardly. What you call not needing is not wanting to know your reasons because they are the same delight the murderer takes in killing somebody who he or she feels needs to die without the anxiety of getting caught. Sadly, as you can see. you fool yourself but not others.

There is good news, however. Those who were murdered as children, psychically, can recover. You still have a chance. There is only love.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Conservatives have always been pro post-birth abortion. The reason they hate pre-birth abortion is that it takes away the chance for them to later judge and kill someone.

Jesus must be fed his sacrifices.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Isn't there some kind of thingy about cruel and unusual punishments in a document somewhere?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Death penalty luvin' is just another way to express tribal loyalty & say "Fuck You, bleeding heart Libtards! It feels good for these assholes to die!"

I'm sure it does, particularly for those who project a tough guy persona. Execution is the ultimate act of authoritarianism, of course. I'm personally not comfortable with that, partially out of deference to the millions of Americans who hold deep moral convictions against it & also as a practical matter. The world has changed. Once expedient, the death penalty is now anything but. Once it's part of the equation, the costs of the whole proceeding increases astronomically. Defendants who would cop to life w/o parole are forced to take it all the way & death penalty opponents will help them do it. It costs an absolute fortune & clogs the legal system. That doesn't matter at all to those who demand old testament retribution nor does potentially executing the innocent bother them at all. I mean, it takes balls to execute an innocent man, right? And that's somehow a virtue to some people-

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=it+takes+balls+to+execute+an+innocent+man