Barebones kits

Dumbone

May 5, 2007
I got hit with ?Dad I need a cheap computer? and ?Pap can you make a computer for me??
My daughter has a OLD Pentium 2 pc that I have nursed along for years. It is wheezing and needs replaced.
My grand daughter and Webkinz lover asked me to ?make? a computer for her because she doesn?t want to share the one they have with her sister! LOLOL
I started looking at putting together one for my grand daughter.
Priority is cheap!!! She is 6 years old and is really at ease with a pc already. With all the components out there I am lost.
I went over to the Tiger Direct site and found they have many barebones kits there.

What are your thoughts on barebones kits?

A while ago I read somewhere that Tiger Direct sells nothing but refurbished items. Is that still true???

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
$300 netbook with 8-10" screen? Perfect for web stuff & highly portable. Plus their small fingers won't have any problems typing on the little keyboard. That way you don't have to track down a monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers/etc.

Or look in the Hot Deals forum, I think I saw someone post an IBM Thinkpad T43 refurb for $300. Bigger screen, faster, great for a starter laptop.

EDIT: Re - refurbs @ TD - no. If it's a refurb it will be labeled as such. Otherwise they would get put out of business by the fines & class-action lawsuits for false advertising & etc.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Yeah, Asus EeePC FTW, or

like an e2120 with a cheap mobo w/ onboard video, cheapo case, 2GB ram, etc etc

I can't link stuff because newegg won't load for me...

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
A $300-400 Dell desktop will be much faster than a netbook and will have a CD/DVD drive for installing Barbie Horse Adventures ;)

For a laptop with a real screen and CD/DVD you could get a Latitude D610 for ~$360 (20% off over $400 coupon on main page) at Dell Financial Services - Dell off lease or look for Hot Deals on new low-end Compaq, Dell, etc.

Dumbone

May 5, 2007
HI
Did some looking around and found a nice pc at the Dell refurbished site.
$219 for the unit.
It?s nothing to brag about and it give access to the internet and has some software included. (MS Works 9)
We have monitors and printers so that saved some money.
If I remember right there is free shipping and the refurbished units come with a one year warranty. I?ll double check that because I was looking at the site at 3 am this morning! LOL

Knavish

May 17, 2002
A netbook for a 6 year old??? That'll get trashed pretty fast, won't it? They're not the most durable designs. I'd stick with a desktop, where you can pour a drink on the keyboard and it doesn't short out the whole system

zenguy

Jan 23, 2009
Dell's are great deals for when you need an inexpensive computer.

The OS is included.
No assembly worry.
Warranty. (sometmies onsite!)

zenguy

Jan 23, 2009
Dell's are great deals for when you need an inexpensive computer.

The OS is included.
No assembly worry.
Warranty. (sometmies onsite!)