Barack Obama's 3 year record as a US Senator

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Buahahahaha.... Nice try i guess.

You do realize that "sponsoring" is not authoring or coming up with the idea - right? Did you look at the co-sponsors of the ones BHO supposedly "sponsored"? Yeah, all top level D party people who have handed him the "sponsor" of the bill. This has been talked about since his speech a couple years ago that made him a "star". They have been doing this ever since to "pad" his credentials.

But anyway, it really matters very little anyway as no matter how much "padding" they added it still doesn't remove the "inexperienced" charge. To me the "zero" thing thrown out by the GOP is a bit of theater and not much else.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Thanks to Sen. Obama (and Coburn), we have this site:www.USAspending.gov, that makes Federal expenditures available to the public. Considering that he promised during his convention speech, to go through expenditures line by line, I think he can pay for the programs he outlined. Getting us out of Iraq also helps.

Druidx

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Yes, we should give him credit, he's really good as clicking present during votes.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: Druidx
Yes, we should give him credit, he's really good as clicking present during votes.
At least Obama IS present during votes.

And how many times did Obama refused to take a stand by just voting PRESENT?
Here is a list of votes McCain has been completely absent for since 1991 (I'll try to find his "present" votes later). This also doesn't include what votes he's been absent-minded for, which I'm sure is an equally long list.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Page 6

Page 7

Page 8

Page 9

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Come on JP did you really need to post the entire list?? It makes the thread harder to read.

Like anyone is really going to read the damn thing??

BTW I would post a list of votes Obama has missed since 1991, but he has only been in the Senate 3 1/2 years :)
Also, you can't vote 'present' in the house and Senate. The whole 'present' thing had to do with Obama's time in Illinois where people vote present in order to not go on record opposing something. But a present vote counts as a no vote since you need a majority of votes to pass a bill.

Example: 100 people in Senate. 49 vote yes, 1 votes no, 50 vote present = the vote losses.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Also, you can't vote 'present' in the house and Senate.
In the Senate, abstaining = present, which is done all the time.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Come on JP did you really need to post the entire list?? It makes the thread harder to read.

Like anyone is really going to read the damn thing??

BTW I would post a list of votes Obama has missed since 1991, but he has only been in the Senate 3 1/2 years :)
Also, you can't vote 'present' in the house and Senate. The whole 'present' thing had to do with Obama's time in Illinois where people vote present in order to not go on record opposing something. But a present vote counts as a no vote since you need a majority of votes to pass a bill.

Example: 100 people in Senate. 49 vote yes, 1 votes no, 50 vote present = the vote losses.

Seems like a smart move to me as people always try to twist your political record based on your vote record, and there are plenty of reasons to oppose a specific bill even if you support the basic idea behind it.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Dari
He sponsored 820 laws
He Co-Sponsored 427 laws
He Authored 152 laws

That's 1,399 laws he's either written, sponsored, or co-sponsored. For a junior Senator, that's quite a lot.

http://www.statesurge.com/memb...3-barack-obama-federal
Did you look at how many of those 'bills' became laws??

Very few. In fact you are totally misconstruing his record. Obama did not sponsor 820 laws, he sponsored 820 bills. Of which nearly all of them did nothing.

Example:
Read twice and referred to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions.
Read twice and referred to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions.
Read twice and referred to the Committee on Finance.
Sponsor introductory remarks on measure. (CR S9615)

Looking at the list it seems that NONE of the bill he sponsored on his own have become law. NONE.
And of the bills that he co-sponsored that actually became law he was one of MANY co-sponsors.

BTW where did you get your numbers from, I see no numbers on the page. Did you count them all yourself? And while counting did you count the number that became law? Like all 6 of them?

newnameman

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
Originally posted by: Dari
He sponsored 820 laws
He Co-Sponsored 427 laws
He Authored 152 laws

That's 1,399 laws he's either written, sponsored, or co-sponsored. For a junior Senator, that's quite a lot.

http://www.statesurge.com/memb...3-barack-obama-federal
Did you look at how many of those 'bills' became laws??

Very few. In fact you are totally misconstruing his record. Obama did not sponsor 820 laws, he sponsored 820 bills. Of which nearly all of them did nothing.

Example:
Read twice and referred to the Committee on Finance.
Sponsor introductory remarks on measure. (CR S9615)

Looking at the list it seems that NONE of the bill he sponsored on his own have become law. NONE.
And of the bills that he co-sponsored that actually became law he was one of MANY co-sponsors.

BTW where did you get your numbers from, I see no numbers on the page. Did you count them all yourself? And while counting did you count the number that became law? Like all 6 of them?
He's being disingenuous. The 820 laws he sponsored were in the State Senate. http://my.barackobama.com/page...t/toddhuffmanmd/gG5cjY

In eight years in Illinois, State Senator Obama sponsored 820 bills that became law.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

It also demonstrates that you can not make a decision and/or do not want to be on record.

Obama did the same thingalot as a state senator.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
No, in the Senate you either vote Yea or Nay or you are recorded for "Not Voting."

Does not matter if you are sitting in your seat and don't vote or are in your home state either way the result is the same and 100% different than voting 'present.'

You can not tally 'not voting' records and say that someone abstained from X number of votes.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy

It also demonstrates that you can not make a decision and/or do not want to be on record.

Obama did the same thingalot as a state senator.
Being absent means you don't want to make a decision or be on record. And it also means you're too lazy to show up to work, but not too lazy to collect your salary.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Being absent means you don't want to make a decision or be on record. And it also means you're too lazy to show up to work, but not too lazy to collect your salary.
It could also mean that you are campaigning for President or in the case of Tim Johnson recovering from a stroke.

The top 5 vote missers are:
McCain
Tim Johnson
Barack Obama
Hillary Clinton
Joe Biden

Four of the five were running for President. Kerry, Edwards and Lieberman were the top vote missers of the 108th Senate, also an election Senate.

But perhaps you are right about the lazy thing. Seems that 8 of the top 10 voter missers were Democrats, bunch of lazy slops.

BTW I am starting to worry about Biden's work either. He seems to have a habit of missing votes.
Percentage of missed votes by congress
110th 30%
109th 9.9%
108th 7.7%
Here is near the top of the list every year it seems.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
I guess the lesson for either party on this issue: don't throw stones in glass houses?

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Oh another interesting WaPo chart
Party voters
These scores represent the percentage of votes on which a lawmaker agrees with the position taken by a majority of his or her party members.

31 out of the top 31 Senators to vote with their party are Democrats.
10 out of the top 10 to vote AGAINST their party are Republicans.

Sort of illustrates the lock step approach that the Democrats take.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Oh another interesting WaPo chart
Party voters
These scores represent the percentage of votes on which a lawmaker agrees with the position taken by a majority of his or her party members.

31 out of the top 31 Senators to vote with their party are Democrats.
10 out of the top 10 to vote AGAINST their party are Republicans.

Sort of illustrates the lock step approach that the Democrats take.

This is what happens when you're in the OPPOSITION.