Barack Obama will bring world class jobs

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
So on my drive in to work this morning I heard a Barack Obama ad with Mark Warner saying that Barack Obama doesn't think that you should have to leave your hometown to get a "world class job". Could someone please explain how Barack Obama is going to bring "world class jobs" to every town in America?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Why do people believe a President can deliver jobs anyways? 5 million green jobs is Obama's claim on his website. 5 million? Laughable. The only way that happens is if he erects the biggest govt program in history and hires 5 million people regardless of qualifications. Which sadly is a classic govt way of doing it and wont surprise if it happens.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Some of his supporters see him as the Messiah. He's entering the phase where he's starting to think so too.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87
Why do people believe a President can deliver jobs anyways? 5 million green jobs is Obama's claim on his website. 5 million? Laughable. The only way that happens is if he erects the biggest govt program in history and hires 5 million people regardless of qualifications. Which sadly is a classic govt way of doing it and wont surprise if it happens.

That would be my guess. In january, I would not be surprised to see New Deal II with a whole slew of make work jobs, welfare checks and the like put in place.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999

Bringing back the draft?

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Originally posted by: JD50
So on my drive in to work this morning I heard a Barack Obama ad with Mark Warner saying that Barack Obama doesn't think that you should have to leave your hometown to get a "world class job". Could someone please explain how Barack Obama is going to bring "world class jobs" to every town in America?

He is going to go to the burning bush and talk to his father about it.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Possessed Freak

Bringing back the draft?

Naw. The WPA - Works Progress Administration (as mentioned as the New Deal II above) will be reintroduced. In turn, these employees will work on rebuilding the crumbling infrastructure in America ... and their own back yards.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Hey, every once in a while we need to lift the lower class up so that the upper classes can profit grinding them back into the ground; it's the cycle of life.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Originally posted by: AyashiKaibutsu
Hey, every once in a while we need to lift the lower class up so that the upper classes can profit grinding them back into the ground; it's the cycle of life.

Exactly right. We have to keep that carrot close enough for them to see it..

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Didn't you hear? It's up to your government to create jobs, allocate wealth, end class warfare (by using class warfare, naturally), decide what's acceptable media content, etc.?

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: JD50

The first thing that popped into my head was to tax incentivise corporations to bring jobs into the US again...renegotiate NAFTA...help with call center training by making telecommunications cheap in small towns and encoraging telecommuting...etc...

DarrelSPowers

Jul 9, 2008
I think it'd be awesome if Obama pumped some serious money into green-energy-tech jobs. I think its ridiculous that I've got classmates with gpa's lower than mine, making nearly $10 more an hour by working for military and government funded companies desigining weapons systems. I'd love it if my wage working at a green building design firm caught up to what the missile designers were making, or at least got a few more government contracts...

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
True, it simply won't happen. Has about as much chance of happening as McCain balancing the budget by end of his first term :)
Exactly right. We have to keep that carrot close enough for them to see it..
Hah
I'd love it if my wage working at a green building design firm caught up to what the missile designers were making, or at least got a few more government contracts...
If it was just money you'd be working where they are now. Presumably you find compensation in more than just your pay check.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: DarrelSPowers
I think it'd be awesome if Obama pumped some serious money into green-energy-tech jobs. I think its ridiculous that I've got classmates with gpa's lower than mine, making nearly $10 more an hour by working for military and government funded companies desigining weapons systems. I'd love it if my wage working at a green building design firm caught up to what the missile designers were making, or at least got a few more government contracts...

I own a small software consulting firm. The best developer I've ever met - and my go-to guy - graduated with a 2.6. I almost didn't hire him. Before meeting him, I didn't look at any resumes with GPA's under 3.3.

Food for thought.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005

this. reallocate some wasteful defense spending into energy projects, some of which could still be headed by some prime defense contractors (lockheed, boeing, etc)

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
In addition to creating world class jobs everywhere, the Messiah can also make wine out of water ;)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: PokerGuy
In addition to creating world class jobs everywhere, the Messiah can also make wine out of water ;)

Now that's change I can believe in:wine:

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

This is something which I honestly do not know much about in great detail at least. Conceptually it makes sense, but what we also know is that all politicians will come up with estimated figures which are very often better than reality. That can be said about Obama. It can be said about McCain. It can be said about everyone. Hell, that isn't even limited to politics. Small, medium, and large business sales teams will do the exact same thing all of the time. That's just how it works in this country and the world in general.

So, with that said let's just do a little math while applying a fictional margin of error just for shits and giggles. Let's say that the number isn't 5 million even though it is what the man is pushing for. Let's say it turns out to be 4 million. If I am not mistaken, Obama does not indicate how long it will take to achieve that number of jobs. However, we often hear both Obama and McCain spitting out 10 years for many things so let's just use that to keep it simple.

Ok, so 4 million jobs over the course of 10 years. On average, the break down would be 400,000 jobs per year and 33,333 per month. While not terribly realistic you can even take that one step further by dividing those jobs between the states which turns out to be an estimated 700 jobs per month per state.

As I said, I don't claim to be an expert here but are those kinds of numbers truly unreasonable to even consider especially if he starts pushing hard to bring the manufacturing jobs back to America which we really do need? If they are not reasonable then I want to know why and I want an answer that goes beyond just lack of confidence in government.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

What I'm hearing is

"Waaa. I'm mad because my CHOICE isnt making me as much money as my classmates CHOICE, and this isnt FAIR!"

AmIright?

You know, rather then wait for the government to bring you your "deserved" pay rate maybe you should reconsider your career choices......Now THERES a thought. Some personal responsibility in your life..... Huh.......

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
If he can that's be great but I think he's being a optomistic. We've had 8 years of Fail under the Republicans and what do they offer this time? More Fail with a large dose of Fundie Whacko. No thanks