Barack Obama Going For A Knockout

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Can't believe that I'm hearing sense from a.. well, a republican. Says a lot about 21th Century and media politics. (although it's not something new if you took a class in Politics)

I will vote for Obama if he wins the Dem's nomination even though I know nothing about him. The fact that he's democrat and he's black alone makes it worth for me to vote for him, to be honest. However, these so-called Obama supporters are a totally different subject. Some of them are extremely manic/misogynist, sometimes appear to be full of hatred towards others (which is very ironic since one of Obama's messages is "Unite"), and other times have no sense of reality whatsoever.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
And we need to figure something out for this ridiculous power that media has over the politics after this election, IMO. I don't believe that an average American would have picked George Bush over Al Gore when s/he had been given fair and balanced information in 2000. In this specific instance regarding Obama campaign's spending in Texas/Ohio, media is painting it as a knockout blow from Obama to clinton: Considering the general consensus that the race is very tight (or even slightly disadvantageous to Obama) in these States, that isn't exactly accurate coverage. On the other hand, if it was Clinton who spends all the money, media would easily translate it to 'desperation', 'the last breadth' or something in that line.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: senseamp
You can like her or dislike her, that's fine, but you know who she is.

Yeah, I know who ... and what ... she is. And it scares me to death. :laugh:

I'm really concerned for your well-being after Tomorrow, senseamp.

bl4ckfl4g

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2007
You can like her or dislike her, that's fine, but you know who she is.

Bill Clinton's wife and a continuation to the Clinton - Bush dynasty for 28 years.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Obama is just a shell that people project whatever it is they want to believe about him on.

So is God.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Obama is just a shell that people project whatever it is they want to believe about him on.

So is God.

So we're equating B.O. to God now, huh?

The antichrist will be a man - Daniel 7:24-25

He will ascend to power on a platform of peace. By peace, he will destroy many - Daniel 8:25

He will have a mouth speaking great things. Very boastful - Daniel 7:8

He will try to change times and laws; and they will be given into his power for 3 1/2 years - Daniel 7:25

He will prosper in everything that he does - Daniel 8:24

He will not regard the God of his fathers - Daniel 11:37

He will claim to be God (or an incarnation of God) - 2 Thessalonians 2:4

He will rule a mighty and strong kingdom - Daniel 7:7

He will have power to make war with the saints and to overcome them - Revelations 13:7

He will have great military power that will stand behind him, to enforce his laws - Daniel 11:31

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: RY62

So is God.

He will ascend to power on a platform of peace. By peace, he will destroy many - Daniel 8:25

He will try to change times and laws; and they will be given into his power for 3 1/2 years - Daniel 7:25

He will have power to make war with the saints and to overcome them - Revelations 13:7

He will have great military power that will stand behind him, to enforce his laws - Daniel 11:31
Are you the first person to make Moonie regret something he said? See his sig :0

IMO, Clinton's campaign is infected with a late-stage fatal cancer and no amount of chemo can possibly give a reprieve from the inevitable or a respite from the agony she now feels. She tastes defeat and it tastes worse than she could ever believe, for it came at the 11th hour out of nowhere and with no mercy. Her myrmidons bleat her song with only those who can still be saved finally seeing the future for what it will be, one without her as president.

Barack Hussein Obama will rise this country like the wounded phoenix it is and take it to the sky again and you will thank him for it. But some of you won't, and that is because truth was never your interest to begin with.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: chowderhead
Why have superdelegates if they are "compelled" to follow what the elected delegates say?
-snip-

It makes a lot of sense to me if there's a three-way race.

No matter how you cut it when it's a two-way race, they need to go with what the electoriate says or they are over-ruling voters. There are very few senarios where they could get away with it this year, IMO. If it were two old white guys it would be different. But the way things look that's not likely to happen often in the future. Too many possibilities for White v Black v Latino, or male v female. If they're not careful, they're gonna fracture their party along these lines with this system (pledged delegates @ 80% and awarded proportionally and super delegates at 20%) .

BTW: I've heard one of those involved in creating super delegate system say it's past time to change it. He didn't say how to change it. But I suspect the system will be changed before the next election.

Fern

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Originally posted by: teiresias
Originally posted by: lopri
even though I know nothing about him.

Well, there's really no one to blame but yourself for that.
This is exactly what I was talking about and I thank you for providing an example.

Can't believe that I'm hearing sense from a.. well, a republican. Says a lot about 21th Century and media politics. (although it's not something new if you took a class in Politics)

I will vote for Obama if he wins the Dem's nomination even though I know nothing about him. The fact that he's democrat and he's black alone makes it worth for me to vote for him, to be honest. However, these so-called Obama supporters are a totally different subject. Some of them are extremely manic/misogynist, sometimes appear to be full of hatred towards others (which is very ironic since one of Obama's messages is "Unite"), and other times have no sense of reality whatsoever.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Obama is just another empty suit sold to the populace by the media because it makes for a better story. Bush was it in 2000, now it's Obama's turn, because it's just so exciting.

..it's obamania.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: IGBT
Obama is just another empty suit sold to the populace by the media because it makes for a better story. Bush was it in 2000, now it's Obama's turn, because it's just so exciting.

..it's obamania.
Obamarama!

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001

Is there a candidate that's ever run that didn't have manic/biased followers with hatred towards the competition? You seem to be suprised that Obama has human beings as followers. Even if Obama is legitimately a different kind of politican, he doesn't magically tranform all of his followers into different kinds of humans. There's nothing ironic about it, you simply have unrealistic expectations.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

So is God.

Get back to me when Obama claims to be God.

What I actually said, and I think would have been obvious were you not religiously traumatized and in fear Armageddon, is that just because people project what they want to believe on something, doesn't create a disaster. I happen to think that people who project onto God all sorts of good qualities make their lives better and it helps to lift them up.

teiresias

Oct 16, 1999
This is exactly what I was talking about and I thank you for providing an example.

If you want to term someone as manic and hateful towards others because they expect their fellow citizens to take it upon themselves to learn about the platforms and views of the candidates that are running in an election - then by all means feel free.

It doesn't change the fact that you're the one disregarding your civic duty by failing to inform yourself sufficiently about those in the race looking to earn your vote. Seeing as how I'm not a volunteer for the campaign, it's not really my duty to do your homework for you, particularly since you're obviously sitting at a computer to post here and can do the work of finding the info you need to make an informed decision quite easily at both candidate's websites and perusing videos of both of their numerous commercial spots to judge for yourself the truthfulness or spin of each.

Hatred toward others? I guess I'll admit to that, but only towards those that purposefully keep themselves uninformed and then brag about it while they admit to doing strict party-line votes without regard to actual issues. It's those kinds of people that throw representative government into the crapper.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
well, I've said this many times. Obama dances around every issue ... I've never really heard him discuss anything for a long time ... He just seems like a frigen robot that just says enough to sound good but not any more... I guess when he wins then he will have to start actually going deeper into what he thinks about where he does stand and how far.

It's times like these I am glad I don't own a TV. I hate political ads! But, I dunno really... I think it's time to and the Bush/Clinton BS and move on with NEW people ... What next are we gonna have Clinton's daughter run after her mom takes it for 8 years? When does it stop, I don't know anything about their daughter but, I am really tired of the dynasty BS.

I know maybe they will force a bush / clinton vote next 4 years, Bush's drunk kids vs. Clinton's!!! Hmmmmmm! Then you know the country has gone off the deep end....

RY62

Mar 13, 2005

So is God.

What I actually said, and I think would have been obvious were you not religiously traumatized and in fear Armageddon, is that just because people project what they want to believe on something, doesn't create a disaster. I happen to think that people who project onto God all sorts of good qualities make their lives better and it helps to lift them up.

I know what you were trying to say. My point is that, with talk about his controversial church, the fact that he is an apostate of his father's religion, the media calling him a messiah and his followers cult members, along with the easy comparisons to the antichrist I would think that discussions of God and religion would be something that followers of the Obamessiah would do best to avoid. The right will have fun with this stuff.

BTW I'm not religiously traumatized and, as a believer, I have no fear of Armageddon.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001

So is God.

I know what you were trying to say. My point is that, with talk about his controversial church, the fact that he is an apostate of his father's religion, the media calling him a messiah and his followers cult members, along with the easy comparisons to the antichrist I would think that discussions of God and religion would be something that followers of the Obamessiah would do best to avoid. The right will have fun with this stuff.

BTW I'm not religiously traumatized and, as a believer, I have no fear of Armageddon.

A lot of people thought Ronald Reagan would be the anti-Christ as well. I don't think we have to worry about Obama creating one world government while rebuilding the temple.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
The fact that he's democrat and he's black alone makes it worth for me to vote for him, to be honest.
If that's the case, I passed several potential candidates on the way to work this morning... and, just like Obama, they too were asking for change! :D DOH!

(disclaimer: that joke was blatantly stolen from the ad for the next new episode of 'Lil Bush).

That said, I plan to vote for Obama as well; but I'm doing so after careful consideration of several important geopolitical factors, and an educated assessment of Obama's character. To each their own, I guess...

Dufusyte

Jul 7, 2000
Originally posted byericlp: Obama dances around every issue ... I've never really heard him discuss anything for a long time ... He just seems like a frigen robot that just says enough to sound good but not any more.
Your description is typical of politicians, and it is a winning formula.

Candidates who actually talk about the issues and actually advocate change tend to scare people, a la Ron Paul.

Reagan's genius was that he was able to be a Ron Paul in Obama's clothing; that is, Reagan had a real agenda like Paul, but he clothed it in pleasantly innocuous rhetoric like Obama.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: Dufusyte
Originally posted byericlp: Obama dances around every issue ... I've never really heard him discuss anything for a long time ... He just seems like a frigen robot that just says enough to sound good but not any more.
Your description is typical of politicians, and it is a winning formula.

Candidates who actually talk about the issues and actually advocate change tend to scare people, a la Ron Paul.

Reagan's genius was that he was able to be a Ron Paul in Obama's clothing; that is, Reagan had a real agenda like Paul, but he clothed it in pleasantly innocuous rhetoric like Obama.

His positions and plans are all on his website. He realizes that a good way to bore people is to act like they're more interested, involved, and concerned than they are. John Kerry learned that the hard way.

sierrita

Mar 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Pabster

Frankly, I don't think he needs to spend so much. She's already out. All we're waiting for are the landslide victories from Obama Tuesday and her concession speech.

Another classic from "Often-Wrong" Pabster; own it on DVD today!

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: sierrita
Another classic from "Often-Wrong" Pabster; own it on DVD today!

Starring our favorite troll, sierrita! :laugh:

I eat my crow.