Baptist group blocks gifts

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Baptist group blocks gifts

Churches affiliated with the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina will no longer be allowed to support a rival Baptist group through their annual gifts to the convention, Baptist delegates to the state meeting decided Wednesday.

The move represents an end to an era of cooperation. For years, the state convention allowed Baptists to fund various ministries across the nation and the world. It might lead to an exodus of more moderate Baptist churches.....

Moderate Baptist churches, which support female pastors and do not believe the Bible is inerrant, have been distancing themselves from the state convention in past years.

The Baptist State Convention -- an affiliate of the national Southern Baptist Convention -- has been adopting policies that follow a larger conservative agenda laid out by the parent denomination. The state convention voted several years ago to expel churches that welcome gays and lesbians.

"It's time for us to put an end to the tolerance," said the Rev. Eric Page, pastor of Victory Baptist Church in Columbus. "We can't give them a foothold into what we're against."

The Baptist State Convention is the largest religious group in North Carolina, with about 3,228 affiliated churches. Of those, 267 have chosen to split their giving among multiple groups. About 160 of those churches apportion 10 percent of their giving toward the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship.

In other news .....

Priest urges penance for Obama voters

A priest at St. Mary's Catholic Church in downtown Greenville has told parishioners that those who voted for Barack Obama placed themselves under divine judgment because of his stance on abortion and should not receive Holy Communion until they've done penance.

At issue for the church locally and nationwide are exit polls showing that 54% of self-described Catholics voted for Obama, as well as a growing rift in the lifestyle and voting patterns between practicing and non-practicing Catholics.

In a letter posted on St. Mary's website, Newman wrote that "voting for a pro-abortion politician when a plausible pro-life alternative exists constitutes material cooperation with intrinsic evil."

Catholics who did so should be reconciled to God through penance before receiving communion, "lest they eat and drink their own condemnation," Newman wrote, echoing a I Corinthians admonition for anyone who partakes "without recognizing the body of the Lord."

The response from parishioners has been supportive by a margin of 9 to 1, Newman said. He also cited Scripture in urging parishioners to pray for Obama and cooperate with him wherever conscience permits.

Stoopid personal anecdote:

I grew up in the Presbyterian church. I went off to earn a living and 20 years later had to 'parent' my folks to their deaths over 12 or so years.

The church I grew up in had hired an associate female pastor who was gay. She was a 'hoot' to say the least and knew the family well. My Pop was the last to go and by that time she had left the church (not of her choosing).

We were advised that Rev. Lisa would not be allowed to return, even for a simple service. So instead of a dear family friend presiding over the service, a pastor who had never met my Pop or any other family member did so ....

Thanks for the tolerance and love .... :frown:

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Why do you hate a America?

One of the GREATEST freedoms we have is the freedom of association.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo
Priest urges penance for Obama voters

A priest at St. Mary's Catholic Church in downtown Greenville has told parishioners that those who voted for Barack Obama placed themselves under divine judgment because of his stance on abortion and should not receive Holy Communion until they've done penance.

This is good news imo. When your church tells you that something you (and tens of millions of other people) consider the right thing to do puts your soul in jeopardy, you know it's time to maybe rethink your religious allegiance.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
"A priest at St. Mary's Catholic Church in downtown Greenville has told parishioners that those who voted for Barack Obama placed themselves under divine judgment because of his stance on abortion and should not receive Holy Communion until they've done penance."

.. and this is why I longer go to a Catholic Church. I would have told this priest after mass to fuck off and to no longer give Holy Communion until he, himself had done penance.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
Yes, a friend of mine was a practicing Catholic all her life, but when the priest found out that she had donated to a pro-choice candidate she was warned not to do that again or she would be denied communion. She told them to fuk off and hasn't gone back since. Not surprisingly, several of the catholic churches around here are "consolidating" to the one largest catholic church in town because of declining membership. Go figure.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
"It's time for us to put an end to the tolerance," said the Rev. Eric Page, pastor of Victory Baptist Church in Columbus. "We can't give them a foothold into what we're against."

This is so backwards. If your religion forbids you doing something, then don't do it. However, don't make others adhere to your religion as well.

venkman

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2007
"It's time for us to put an end to the tolerance,"

Is why many people believe in god but can't stand the thought of organized religion.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Originally posted by: venkman

Is why many people believe in god but can't stand the thought of organized religion.

This might also be why the rest of us think southern Baptists are quite crazy.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: venkman

Yep. At some point it sadly becomes more about belief in The Church than belief in Jesus/God/whomever.

nihilaxiom

Nov 12, 2005
Ah yes Jesus's messege was nothing about tolerance right. What happened to Jesus's true teachings? Very sad.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

SPOCK: Captain, we're being attracted into an extremely powerful field of affection containing obstacles consisiting of multiple revolving... make that turning cheeks 20.723 parsecs directly ahead of us. We will be entering the field in approximately 7.26867245 seconds.

KIRK: More bigotry, Scotty! We need more bigotry! Raise forward hate shields! We must avoid being trapped in that horrible web of tolerance and understanding! :shocked:

SCOTTY: But Captain, I'm giving her all she's got, but our counter-turning cheek stablizers are useless aganst their superior, widespread array of... <gasp>... LOVE! :heart:

Feanor727

Sep 17, 2001
This is completely unsurprising. Southern Baptists are one of the most intolerant sects in modern Christianity...

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I haven't a problem with the Baptist position because they don't need to fit in with a group they disagree with. That's how it is.

The second I have a problem with because it's inconsistent, and well dumb. If abortion is something that he Church is against then they have the right to decide such things. Where it breaks down though is that BOTH sides have things which aren't OK with the Church. The Republicans caused a needless war in Iraq where many thousands died. Killing people because you can is a no-no as well. I don't see him throwing a fit over the Reps.

What it comes down to is that HE decided what was the most grievous sin, and decided to punish based on that alone. Dumb as a box of rocks.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
I hope the intolerant church groups continue to fracture until there are only individual churches left, able to influence, oh say, the election for dog catcher.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
This kind of surprises me about the Catholic Church. Views like this seem to vary widely though. This particular priest seems to be from a more traditional "evangelical" area. In my Archdiocese, such a statement is almost unheard of from the clergy. The modern trend in Catholicism (at least in the US) seems to be more towards social justice and not putting the abortion issue above all else when it comes to life issues such as the death penalty, poverty, hunger, war, etc. If the overall church tried to force something like that (taking such a draconian approach against those who support pro-choice candidates), the American church would be in outright revolt against Rome. Political positions and religious positions don't mix too well in the USA (due to our views on the purpose of gvt and the separation of church/state) and, and thus modern Americans are forced into a balancing act.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
...and the deep religious right continues their quest for obscurity.