Bannon off the National Security Council

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Speaking of that, am I the only one that never even heard of Breitbart until about 3 months prior to the election?

if you were posting around here, you should have heard of it years back. When Andrew Breitbart was still alive. It had nowhere near the public visibility at the time, but conservatives around here linked it fairly often.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
if you were posting around here, you should have heard of it years back. When Andrew Breitbart was still alive. It had nowhere near the public visibility at the time, but conservatives around here linked it fairly often.

Fair enough. I didn't have a great deal of ... political motivation? Until this election cycle.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Speaking of that, am I the only one that never even heard of Breitbart until about 3 months prior to the election?

probably not. But I knew of them years ago, when that fuckstain of a founder was actually still alive.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

I never heard of them until some time early last spring when a poster here (Speedy) linked to some red pill alpha garbage post on that site. That was my first exposure. I took a few minutes to get my barrings on the dumpster of hate and misogyny that I had stumbled into and promptly closed that tab never to return.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'd definitely heard of Breitbart before. Anyone who followed the "sexism masquerading as ethics in video games journalism" uproar (you know the short name for it) knows that Breitbart was partly responsible for fuelling the outrage. Remember, that's one of the stories that made Milo's name among angry white boys. It's just that the site entered the mainstream consciousness when the Trump campaign came along, and its goal was to basically push its agenda from within the White House.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'd definitely heard of Breitbart before. Anyone who followed the "sexism masquerading as ethics in video games journalism" uproar (you know the short name for it) knows that Breitbart was partly responsible for fuelling the outrage. Remember, that's one of the stories that made Milo's name among angry white boys. It's just that the site entered the mainstream consciousness when the Trump campaign came along, and its goal was to basically push its agenda from within the White House.

lol, what happened to all those angry virgins? did they finally fix gaming journalism?

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Trump sick burns Bannon in public yesterday:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/12/politics/donald-trump-steve-bannon/index.html

Looks like Bannon's troubles with Trump started before this row with Kushner. It started when Bannon was on the cover of Time and SNL was running skits suggesting that he was the puppet master behind Trump. Evidently, Trump does not like Bannon stealing his limelight.

From the sound of it, Bannon will likely be out before long.

Trump just lit his 2020 chances on fire. Bannon's trillion dollar handout was by far the best chance he had to keep the rust belt.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
If Bannon gets the boot this country may actually survive the next four years. Trump has shown he's easily influenced and can change his mind on a whim. If he's surrounded by people who aren't just crazy ideologues that think ideology rather than knowledge and experience makes good policy, we'll all be better off. There are some smart people (Mattis, McMaster, Tillerson [if he can get his job as SoS back from Kushner]) mixed in with the idiots like Carson, Perry, and Pruitt in his administration.

It's still gonna be bad, but not as bad as it has looked in the first 100 days. I hope.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Apparently, among other things, "NATO is no longer obsolete."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/12/politics/trump-russia-china-nato-syria/index.html

Never mind how amusing that is when you think about it. These positions that Trump is reversing in such a short time frame are all positions supported by Bannon. Trump is listening to Kushner, Ivanka and who knows who else now. Bannon may be gone sooner than I thought. Maybe within a week or two.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
This is bad news. I am pretty convinced Bannon's obvious pandering to the extreme right in the form of all this terrible legislation and mindlessly anti-Obama executive action was the work of his so-called "populist" (but actually white nationalist) ideals. He was the genesis for all of that, and he replaced Flynn as the most influential cabinet member of Trump. Suddenly there appeared to be these issues with Kushner, and Bannon is pushed to the side. On a personal basis, I actually think the man has serious mental issues. But, in a paradoxical sense, he is actually the best possible person you want near Trump if you are thinking of the future! Why?

The answer is simple. Look at Trump's poll numbers.

When Trump follows his "establishment" advisors (Priebus, Pence) his poll numbers go up. Then, there is always a news article that comes out and says "Ivanka always wanted her father to make (decision that polls well)" The same thing is done with Kushner.

Bannon has done NOTHING to help Trump's poll numbers. Every one of his ideas failed miserably, often resulting in huge fiascos and protests. I'm not even going to bother to list all of them, but the "Travel Ban I" was an unmitigated PR disaster. Healthcare was even worse, because it was a world-class failure at something Obama succeeded at, in spectacular fashion... and it absorbed news coverage for six full weeks. He has been nothing but a failure for Trump and brought his poll numbers crashing to Bush W late during the iraq war, when thousands of Americans had died and they had failed to find any WMDs. Too bad for Bush, Trump would've just payed or threatened some scientists to say they found WMDs and we'd all be none the wiser. But I digress....

Bannon will do nothing but bring Trump down. McMaster is already revving himself up to go cross swords with Putin in Syria and the NeoCons are back in control of CNN. Fareed Zaqaria is doing hour-long specials on why Assad is evil because he's Alawite and the majority of syrians are Sunni. You can't allow a non-majority race rule over anyone, is the real message. So this is just a huge win for WAR2017. I'm betting my money on Syria, but Trump is amazingly stupid and might even consider the DPRK as a target.

Reactions: lopri

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
I think some of Brannon's stuff is kooky, but overall he is the person who most defines the Trump admin as different from others. I really would rather see him stay. If Bannon leaves, within three months the Trump admin becomes Marco Rubio's first term.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
I knew Bannon was as bad as they come, but how the hell could anyone like him have gotten into a presidents inner circle without generating a tidal wave of revulsion is beyond me. Only other precedent I can come up goes back to Rasputin in the Russian royal court.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HelSaMSy8HY

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
This fiasco that is the Trump Train crashing into its terminus station at 1600 Penn, is this REALLY what the folks who voted for him wanted? Is this running crisis from the get-go something they can continue to ignore, somehow hoping against hope that the campaign promises made to them by Trump will somehow miraculously all come true in order to justify their faith in him?

When Bannon was picked by Trump for a high level position n his admin., along with all of those other nonsensical appointments he's made, is that what the folks who voted for him expected when they gave him the nod in the voting booths across America?

Did they expect Trump to go back on his word and replace the ACA with something that would give Trump and his fellow billionaires a nice hefty tax cut and leave untold millions of folks without the healthcare that the ACA previously provided for them?

Did they expect Trump to get cozy with the Russians in order to help him win his presidency? Did they expect Trump to drain the swamp directly into his cabinet positions? Did they expect Trump to go back on his word to them this many times (and counting)?

Did they care that Trump was attracting the racist supremacists, the reactionaries and the religious zealots to his cause?

Do they care that it seems quite a few of his close advisers were positively proven that they were in contact with Russian operatives before, during and after he got elected? Would they feel the same if Hillary Clinton and her associates had the same ongoing relationships that Trump and his crew have with Putin and his cabal of fellow Russian oligarchy plutocrats?

If not to any of the above, then I'm wondering how do they feel about him now?

Still like him? Still have faith in him? Still think he is THE answer to their prayers along with those of the tribalists and traditionalists and bigots and supremacists and religious zealots and the rabid base he stole from the GOP?

Still think ANYTHING is better than having Hillary in his place? I bet they do, I bet they do. Somehow in the vast expanse of their minds, Hillary would prove worse, so indescribably worse, much more worse that Obama even.

But if you ask them why, the question I would ask is where is the logic in doing such a thing considering that they already jumped on the Trump Train and there's no getting off of it.......ever.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I would say a very good portion of trumps supporters are anti government and their wet dream world be trump destroying our government.

Tell me I'm wrong.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Who is Ramsey Bolton? And Reek? :D

Well, obviously Ted Cruz is Reek. There really can't be anyone else.

Ramsey is tough...but I'm going to go with Eric, or whatever chinless inbred Trumpkin it was that savaged that elephant. Uday or Qusay--take your pick, I guess. oh. he listed Eric down there...I kinda feel like that was a cop out, though. :D