Banned from Origin forums, Lose Games

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
and that is when i realized i was reading a thread from 2011.

for some reason this thread was highlighted as "unread' in the pc forum. well .. i guess my first necro, after 30+ years of PC use.

And I had no clue what ME3 was, so I kept going until I realized there were 5 pages and skipped to the end to see your final post. :rage::D

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
EA are communists when it comes to social media, they restricted the FIFA forums only to users that are actively playing the game, and so forth. The EA Sports forums has junk moderators and most of them don't even know half of anything on the games they moderate for it's sickening. Glad I've never put a single post on Origin forums, I only ever launched Origin to play Battlefield 4 but haven't played that in nearly 2 years now, but I recently got FIFA 17 so that's the only time I ever launch Origin and I don't play online.

Seems things hasn't really changed since 2011.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
EA are communists when it comes to social media, they restricted the FIFA forums only to users that are actively playing the game, and so forth. The EA Sports forums has junk moderators and most of them don't even know half of anything on the games they moderate for it's sickening. Glad I've never put a single post on Origin forums, I only ever launched Origin to play Battlefield 4 but haven't played that in nearly 2 years now, but I recently got FIFA 17 so that's the only time I ever launch Origin and I don't play online.

Seems things hasn't really changed since 2011.

The majority of Origin's issues were fixed within the first year. This is a necro thread. Most of the stuff included in the beginning of the thread wouldn't happen today. By your own admission you've never even posted, so you're opinion holds little weight here in that regard. I have used Origin for awhile now and have numerous games on it. While i'm still a "Steam first" gamer, I have had less problems overall with Origin than I've had with Steam. I agree that EA as a game publisher isn't a very good company, but Origin is one of the better things they have actually made. I have had virtually zero problems with Origin over the years, whereas Steam outages happen somewhat regularly.

I don't know if Origin actually restricts the forums as you say they do, but if so I wish Steam would do that also. The last thing I want are people who don't even own the game post baseless opinions based on hearsay or general hate for a particular product or publisher. Blizzard restricts (or at least used to) their World of Warcraft forums to active accounts and I thought it was a good idea.

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
I don't know how unusual this type of thing is. I was put on "probation" a few times on the Forza Motorsport forum for making comments that did not praise Forza as the greatest thing in the history of video gaming. No personal attacks or anything violating the rules. The power obsessed moderators would then make derisive comments about me while I was banned from responding(regular forum users could never get away with this). At the same time, I started to notice that game "rewards" I was entitled to were not coming my way. The two things connected? I don't know for sure, but the whole experience convinced me to dump Xbox and made me think that the people who hate Microsoft with a passion may have something there.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
I don't know how unusual this type of thing is. I was put on "probation" a few times on the Forza Motorsport forum for making comments that did not praise Forza as the greatest thing in the history of video gaming. No personal attacks or anything violating the rules. The power obsessed moderators would then make derisive comments about me while I was banned from responding(regular forum users could never get away with this). At the same time, I started to notice that game "rewards" I was entitled to were not coming my way. The two things connected? I don't know for sure, but the whole experience convinced me to dump Xbox and made me think that the people who hate Microsoft with a passion may have something there.
I've noticed that with the Forza forums as well, they don't even want you to mention Project CARS.

renz20003

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2011
It seems all the PC distribution programs have issue these days. When steam came out it was a big POS like origin was.

They both are still trash just not as bad.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
While I have a strong dislike for EA to be honest I much prefer origin to uplay and EA's support to steam's support. Having said that gog is the gold standard in support though gog galaxy leaves much to desire (though it is still beta and more difficult beast due to allowing drm free). Having said that the only forum I ever visited (EA) was DAI and I was pretty rabid but never got banned.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Bitching about EA in forums has been a thing for well over a decade now to begin with.

Probably even worse then SOE.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
You know, digital downloading of games is a somewhat new thing that government may not have looked at. We need laws to protect consumers against this. This is something that should definitely be illegal for a company to do. If it's in the EULA, it should be voided by law.
This, exactly.

Rebello

Jul 11, 2016
Thats the problem of modern gaming. What can we do if each other hack any account, and you have no access anymore to you Steam, Bank, Facebook, Uplay, Origin, Battleog account? Take a look the the old school gamer. They know whats happen in the modern world. They are clever, because they get a CD of the game, they have a value in the hand, not only a download physical what each other company cancelled.

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
I look at online video gaming the same as gambling; don't spend more than you can afford to lose...

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
So per EA's example, I should be able to buy the game, beat it, and then cancel the credit card payment. After all, I didn't agree to give them my money, I only granted them a license to use my money until I no longer wanted to let them use my money.

Anyway, the Plants vs Zombies games are the only games I've purchased (from my grandson's play) outside of Steam in years, so I suppose I can put up with EA being penises with ears.