Banned from Origin forums, Lose Games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
But.....when you "buy" a game from Origin, you're not really buying the game....you're buying a license to run the software on your machine(s). You violate the terms of the license, you lose the license and rights associated with it.

I'm not saying it's right. I'm just saying that's probably how EA views it.

Correct, but that's the part where ToS and EULAs come into play as legally binding documents.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Right. With Star Wars: The Old Republic coming out in less than two weeks.

I have absolutely zero interest in this game, so I'm not worried about it. :)

I have no problem with this. If TOR is Origin only, then I'll give my business elsewhere. Same goes for ME3.

It blows my mind that even after all of EA's consumer horror-stories and fuckups have been brought to light, people still buy their stuff. Seriously guys? If EA is really that evil, and they bother you that much, then stop supporting them. Period. Either buy their games and put up with their BS, or take your gaming elsewhere. It boggles my mind that people still willingly give them their money despite knowing the shit they've pulled off.

Edit: And isn't ME3 even more dumbed-down than ME2? It's not really an RPG anymore, is it? Last time I checked, Bioware basically admitted that ME3 is basically a shooter.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Don't get banned?

form the forums?

so, you get banned for the forums--I don't care the reason, and especially if it's something completely harmless--you get to lose the games that you've purchased?

sorry, no.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Looks like it has been going on for some time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioWare#Controversy

I don't care anyway.. as I have basically no interest in EA. As lessthandan points out, ME3 is going to be more mainstream crap.. ala... DA vs DA2. It will get pretty good review though.. that is for sure.

I am actually very happy that.. even without the giants in gaming industry(EA and UBISOFT) this year has been very good for PC gamers. I don't think I've seen so many good games in the past 3-4 years.

atticus14

Apr 11, 2010
going to have to stop trolling swtor forums i guess....but so many oblivious people that need to be trolled *sigh

imagine losing your mmo character that you sunk months/years into

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I don't think they should link the forums and access to purchased products, but it's also not an issue when you don't get involved in rule-breaking forum activities.

So, I disagree with them and support changing it, but it's not a reason to me not to buy from them.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
It blows my mind that even after all of EA's consumer horror-stories and fuckups have been brought to light, people still buy their stuff. Seriously guys? If EA is really that evil, and they bother you that much, then stop supporting them. Period. Either buy their games and put up with their BS, or take your gaming elsewhere. It boggles my mind that people still willingly give them their money despite knowing the shit they've pulled off.

Edit: And isn't ME3 even more dumbed-down than ME2? It's not really an RPG anymore, is it? Last time I checked, Bioware basically admitted that ME3 is basically a shooter.

Yep, its essentially a shooter. But, I do still want to see the conclusion of the storyline.

As I get older, I have less time to waste on shitty games and shitty companies. I no longer buy games with limited activation installs either.

I don't think they should link the forums and access to purchased products, but it's also not an issue when you don't get involved in rule-breaking forum activities.

So, I disagree with them and support changing it, but it's not a reason to me not to buy from them.

Under your logic, they have no reason to change then because you'll buy their products anyway. Also, part of the controversy is that they were banning people who posted negative reviews of their games or complained about how CSRs handled issues with Origin, etc.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
If I ever lost games I had legally bought for something I posted you bet your ass I would be calling a lawyer that week.

I think a letter from a lawyer threatening to take this to the next level would result in a quick reinstatement of my account and some coupons for free games or store credit.

I don't care what the EULA says there's no way in hell this would stand up in court.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Well i dont post in the forums or purchase any new EA games that arnt on steam with no DRM other than steam so this doesnt really effect me.

But this is some messed up shit. WTF are they thinking?

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000

How is quoting somebody's response breaking any rule?

Example:
Spidey: I hate interracial gay marriage, anyone who does it needs to be burned from the earth.
Craig234: Quotes Spidey in response. You've been added to my ignore list.
Both Spidey and Craig234 gets banned.

Another example(this is what was described in the OP actually):
Spidey: F*ck you Craig234!
EA mods give BOTH Spidey and Craig234 the banhammer.

What rule did Craig234 break?

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
How is quoting somebody's response breaking any rule?

Example:
Spidey: I hate interracial gay marriage, anyone who does it needs to be burned from the earth.
Craig234: Quotes Spidey in response. You've been added to my ignore list.
Both Spidey and Craig234 gets banned.

Another example(this is what was described in the OP actually):
Spidey: F*ck you Craig234!
EA mods give BOTH Spidey and Craig234 the banhammer.

What rule did Craig234 break?

Being an idiot.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Being an idiot.

It doesn't matter what you do on the forums. EA should not be able to take away people's games for what's done on the forums, and they need to be successfully sued if they don't stop. So if you get thrown out of a Walmart for disorderly conduct and asked not to return, Walmart should be able to seize all the property you've bought from that Walmart?

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
It doesn't matter what you do on the forums. EA should not be able to take away people's games for what's done on the forums, and they need to be successfully sued if they don't stop.

So it's OK if you run someone over, but they don't take your property because you can't afford to pay damages in court?

He broke the rules, it sucks, but it's as simple as that.

MaximumTacos

Aug 8, 2011
I don't want to get the facts in the way of your schadenfreude , but I didn't break the rules for the final ban, and no rational person thinks games should be cut off as part of a forum ban, especially when it's brought on by a glitchy filter. My experience has unearthed many other people with verifiably true and nearly identical situations, like the guy who was suspended for 72 hours from playing any EA game because he said 'badass' and then, after riding out the suspension, suspended AGAIN for the same post.

Why don't you come to ground zero and read up on the situation instead of jumping to conclusions? :)

Last edited:

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
So it's OK if you run someone over, but they don't take your property because you can't afford to pay damages in court?

He broke the rules, it sucks, but it's as simple as that.

That's really twisting it to fit your argument. Getting banned from a forum does not cause EA or anyone else financial harm which requires indemnification out of the assets of the game owner/forumgoer. Running someone over and injuring them does; and indeed, they would not seize all your property, only that which is required to pay off a judgement. So you have zero financial damages to EA, and yet nevertheless there is the equivalent of seizing perhaps hundreds of dollars in games. Of course there is no physical seizure, you know what I mean.

This is morally wrong, and even if currently law allows it, that should be changed. The attitude that this is EA's rule and that's all there is to it is morally apathetic and wrong as well.

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
That's really twisting it to fit your argument. Getting banned from a forum does not cause EA or anyone else financial harm which requires indemnification out of the assets of the game owner/forumgoer. Running someone over and injuring them does; and indeed, they would not seize all your property, only that which is required to pay off a judgement. So you have zero financial damages to EA, and yet nevertheless there is the equivalent of seizing perhaps hundreds of dollars in games. Of course there is no physical seizure, you know what I mean.

This is morally wrong, and even if currently law allows it, that should be changed. The attitude that this is EA's rule and that's all there is to it is morally apathetic and wrong as well.
He knowingly broke the rules, that's all that matter in the eyes of EA. Sadly...