Banned from forum because of IP mask... ='(

clicknext

Banned
Mar 27, 2002
My ISP uses an IP mask or something I think, so lots of people show as the same IP address when they go on forums. Apparently some idiot's been banned from gamingforce.com and took me with them. Is there any way to get around this? Is there any way to make my real IP show?

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Email their mods, and ask them. Tell them the individual IP you came from; if it wasn't you, they should be able to unban you. There are proxy services to do this, but they're slow.

Rob

WarmAndSCSI

Banned
Jun 4, 2001
Sounds like your ISP routes all HTTP traffic through a proxy server. This has nothing to do with an IP mask - that has to do with subnetting which you probably want to stay far, far away from unless you're interested in internetworking.

I'd talk to the mods about it. Or question your ISP why they are doing this.

clicknext

Banned
Mar 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Entity
Email their mods, and ask them. Tell them the individual IP you came from; if it wasn't you, they should be able to unban you. There are proxy services to do this, but they're slow.

Rob
I emailed to ask why I was banned and stuff, but didn't get an answer (yes, I waited a long time).

When I go to one of those that tell you your IP address, it changes every time I go. Obviously an IP mask, or whatever it's called. My router says that I always have the same IP address though.

clicknext

Banned
Mar 27, 2002
Originally posted by: WarmAndSCSI
Sounds like your ISP routes all HTTP traffic through a proxy server. This has nothing to do with an IP mask - that has to do with subnetting which you probably want to stay far, far away from unless you're interested in internetworking.

Yay, thanks, because of what you said I figured out how to fix it. My ISP does use a proxy server. All I had to do is go to the connection settings in internet explorer and tell it to not use a proxy. =D

WarmAndSCSI

Banned
Jun 4, 2001
Your IP addy changes when you have a dynamic DHCP address. Now if this tool is telling you what IP address IT sees, then your ISP might have several round-robin-configured proxy servers.

Go read about IP addressing and routing - it'll clear things up for you greatly :p

WarmAndSCSI

Banned
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: clicknext
Originally posted by: WarmAndSCSI

Yay, thanks, because of what you said I figured out how to fix it. My ISP does use a proxy server. All I had to do is go to the connection settings in internet explorer and tell it to not use a proxy. =D

Well, that's your problem. I'm using StarBand here and they have a similar setup (but it's positive because it actually DOES speed up my browsing). Glad I could help.