Banned for commenting on Bush's less than shapely legs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Originally posted by: sMiLeYz
Good. They don't want their venue used for political purposes. That's their right.

Seriously, thats one of the most moronic statements I've heard, and I've heard alot from these forums.

If you find freedom moronic.

You're on a roll here keep it coming, dont stop. :)

Dec 27, 2001
Borders, as a private business, has the right to ban anybody they want from playing for any reason they want. You want the government telling private businesses who can and can't play in their stores? Stop and look at yourselves. In your rush to jump on any bandwagon headed towards the Bush bashing bonanza you've just hitched a ride on the communist express. All aboard!!!

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Borders, as a private business, has the right to ban anybody they want from playing for any reason they want. You want the government telling private businesses who can and can't play in their stores? Stop and look at yourselves. In your rush to jump on any bandwagon headed towards the Bush bashing bonanza you've just hitched a ride on the communist express. All aboard!!!

I was going to suggest drugs, however, for you, a jacket with sleeves which tie behind the back are indicated.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
Dude . . . seek professional help . . . I would give it a try but I don't deal with adults. Kennedy probably never passed a mirror without looking at himself. Nixon probably never passed a mirror without wondering who was looking at him from behind the mirror. Ford was an athlete in college and a decent intellect (ie somewhere north of Bush) but had a propensity for mistakes in prose aside from policy. The peanut farmer from GA still has a big toothy grin. The CA actor's wife RELLY believes in astrology. Clinton was a threat to every big butt woman and package of Mickey Ds french fries from sea to shining sea. GWB needs ESL and a squat rack . . . or he should do a Clinton . . . jog in warmups.

You would not be dealing with an adult.

HOP, I would try to address this issue seriously, but by now you have donned camo and are watching old war videos, and are beyond hearing anything anyone says.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Though you are right, Borders can do this if they want, it's still boneheaded and they deserve to be called on it.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Looks like he needs to jog down to the local Mickey D's for a Big Mac and fries

Dude, no, its Steak and Shake all the way!

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith

I was going to suggest drugs, however, for you, a jacket with sleeves which tie behind the back are indicated.

Great counterpoint.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: sandorski

Though you are right, Borders can do this if they want, it's still boneheaded and they deserve to be called on it.

Same with the Dixie Chicks, but you guys defended them. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: sandorski

Same with the Dixie Chicks, but you guys defended them. :confused: :confused: :confused:

When the hell did anyone say it COULDNT be done?

People were arguing it should not happen, and they are saying the same thing here.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Oh geeze, please don't bring up the Blixie Dicks again :|

Yes, we all agree that Borders can do whatever they want, however what we're actually saying, if you'd actually read it for once, is that we think it's stupid and ignorant to do so. Or are we all communists for having an opinion?!
rolleye.gif

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Dixie Chicks = political speech

Julia Rose = humor directed at the President

I believe both should be protected (in public forums). Private businesses should be able to regulate speech within the limits of the law and the thinking public has a right to call them "censorist wanks".

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999

I believe both should be protected (in public forums). Private businesses should be able to regulate speech within the limits of the law and the thinking public has a right to call them "censorist wanks".

So the singer said something that 1. Offended the owner or manager of the business or 2. The owner or manager felt the remarks would offend customers and hurt business. And you think that even though this occured the business owner or manager shouldn't have the right to tell them that they are no longer allowed to perform at said PRIVATE business?

I guess you would be ok with someone standing at your front door yelling obscenties at you as long as they comply with the limits of the law right?

It was on private property, in a private business end of story. Just as you can't do or say whatever you want on this board the same is true of a private venue.

calbear2000

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2001

Yep that about sums it up...

Hopefully our local hero stops embarassing himself with more ridiculous posts

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

Yes, we all agree that Borders can do whatever they want, however what we're actually saying, if you'd actually read it for once, is that we think it's stupid and ignorant to do so. Or are we all communists for having an opinion?!
rolleye.gif

Borders thinks it's stupid and ignorant for their performers to incite political arguments. I really don't see what the problem here is. You want to express your freedom and so does Borders. I'm trying to find out what you're pissed of about...that they exercised their freedom? Can we change the thread title to "Borders exercises freedom"? You disagree with what they did? Who cares? It's legal. Nobody cares what you think about sombody else exercising their rights. Unless you're proposing we take away their rights, I really see now point to even bringing this up.

calbear2000

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2001
Originally posted by: rahvin

So the singer said something that 1. Offended the owner or manager of the business or 2. The owner or manager felt the remarks would offend customers and hurt business. And you think that even though this occured the business owner or manager shouldn't have the right to tell them that they are no longer allowed to perform at said PRIVATE business?

I guess you would be ok with someone standing at your front door yelling obscenties at you as long as they comply with the limits of the law right?

It was on private property, in a private business end of story. Just as you can't do or say whatever you want on this board the same is true of a private venue.

I highlighted the part you seemed to have overlooked

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: rahvin

Did you even try to read this thread? I know there's a lot of words there, but seriously, it's worth the effort... Maybe start two posts up from yours. You know, where it says "...Yes, we all agree that Borders can do whatever they want..."

rolleye.gif

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Tell me this, then. Why did she choose to pick on Bush's legs? She could have picked anybody in the world and she chose the President of the United States. If she picked him at random, then I'm all for her ban being lifted...did she ever say that? No?

Tell me, how is the competition for headspace in Dubya's ass???

calbear2000

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2001
Originally posted by: freegeeks
Tell me this, then. Why did she choose to pick on Bush's legs? She could have picked anybody in the world and she chose the President of the United States. If she picked him at random, then I'm all for her ban being lifted...did she ever say that? No?

Tell me, how is the competition for headspace in Dubya's ass???

LOL

BTW, stop being so poltical. What are you a political scientist with that comment?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

rolleye.gif

Borders thinks it's stupid and ignorant for their performers to incite political arguments. I really don't see what the problem here is. You want to express your freedom and so does Borders. I'm trying to find out what you're pissed of about...that they exercised their freedom? Can we change the thread title to "Borders exercises freedom"? You disagree with what they did? Who cares? It's legal. Nobody cares what you think about sombody else exercising their rights. Unless you're proposing we take away their rights, I really see now point to even bringing this up.

Hero, if nobody posted their opinions on things, this forum wouldn't need to exist. We'd all go read CNN.com or FoxNews.com or whatever. I think you're missing the point big-time.