Banned for commenting on Bush's less than shapely legs

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
VA daily
Apparently, it's become un-American--or at least highly controversial--for a woman to publicly say that the president of the United States' body is less than perfect.

Julia Rose, a singer-songwriter and a fitness advocate who often shows audiences her six-pack abs, told a Fredericksburg Borders audience Friday: "George Bush has chicken legs. He needs to pump some iron."

Dec 27, 2001
Good. They don't want their venue used for political purposes. That's their right.

Why are you saying it's bad to use your legal right to ban performers who threaten to politicize your place of business? Are you a fascist or something? :(

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Good. They don't want their venue used for political purposes. That's their right.

Why are you saying it's bad to use your legal right to ban performers who threaten to politicize your place of business? Are you a fascist or something? :(

It would only be a political issue if she simultaneously put Bush's legs down while championing Clinton's use of the cheeseburger diet to gain that perfect body of his...

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001

Politicize? Are you on drugs? Since when is it a political statement for a physical trainer to comment about someone's chicken legs?

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Can you read?

"I never bashed Bush as president. I merely said his lower body needs some serious definition," Rose explained later. She said most of the audience laughed. But a few were offended and reportedly contacted Amy Korsun, area marketing manager for Borders Books & Music, to complain about Rose making "political" comments.

Rose said yesterday that she continues to be befuddled and shaken by what happened.

"I made no other comments about the president," she said. "I actually have said this before at other Borders stores, and have never had a problem.

"I never said anything about Bush being a bad president or anything. I was just poking fun at his scrawny frame."

Bush does have pitiful legs . . . but since I'm a former sprinter/cyclist and a registered Independent . . . I guess I'm being too political.
rolleye.gif

I hear the GOP elephant has a bulging waistline and the Democrats' mascot is a real jackass.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
*Sigh* Why has every innocuous comment about Bush become a "political statement?" Sometimes, it's OK to make fun of and/or criticize the president regardless of who you are. If it weren't, Conan O'Brien, Dave Letterman and Leno would all be out of jobs. Geeze, republicans and Bushies need to seriously lighten up. I don't recall Clinton (or other presidents) garnering these kinds of responses.

Dec 27, 2001
Tell me this, then. Why did she choose to pick on Bush's legs? She could have picked anybody in the world and she chose the President of the United States. If she picked him at random, then I'm all for her ban being lifted...did she ever say that? No?

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Tell me this, then. Why did she choose to pick on Bush's legs? She could have picked anybody in the world and she chose the President of the United States. If she picked him at random, then I'm all for her ban being lifted...did she ever say that? No?

That is moronic, lets see here, why would she possibly pick bush as an example instead of some joe blow out in the middle of omaha she has never met? Hmm could it be universal recognizability? Everyone has seen the president, it makes it much easier for her to get her point across about his chicken legs than some scrawny kid in nebraska. Besides any half way intelligent person knows that an attack on the man (ad hominem) is generally substituted in place of an attack on the issues when they cannot come up with valid contentions against the issues, it is the most commonly used fallacy.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001

I don't know. Maybe it's the fact that he runs around in short shorts on tv? I can't believe some of you are so sensitive about other people. Seriously, get a freaking life.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: DaiShan

That is moronic, lets see here, why would she possibly pick bush as an example instead of some joe blow out in the middle of omaha she has never met? Hmm could it be universal recognizability? Everyone has seen the president, it makes it much easier for her to get her point across about his chicken legs than some scrawny kid in nebraska. Besides any half way intelligent person knows that an attack on the man (ad hominem) is generally substituted in place of an attack on the issues when they cannot come up with valid contentions against the issues, it is the most commonly used fallacy.

Doesn't Bush jog alot so he wouldn't have bad legs? Haven't alot more people seen Bill Clinton's legs? Marilyn Manson's legs? Tyra Banks? Chris Webber? Andre Agassi? Lots of other recognizable legs out there.

Besides any half way intelligent person knows that an attack on the man (ad hominem) is generally substituted in place of an attack on the issues when they cannot come up with valid contentions against the issues, it is the most commonly used fallacy.

Exactly why she was politicizing the venue.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001

Doesn't Bush jog alot so he wouldn't have bad legs? Haven't alot more people seen Bill Clinton's legs? Marilyn Manson's legs? Tyra Banks? Chris Webber? Andre Agassi? Lots of other recognizable legs out there.

Besides any half way intelligent person knows that an attack on the man (ad hominem) is generally substituted in place of an attack on the issues when they cannot come up with valid contentions against the issues, it is the most commonly used fallacy.

Wait wait wait, you STILL don't get it? This amazes me, I don't know of a more simplified way to put it. Marilyn manson's legs? I'm fairly certain I have never seen him in anything but long pants, Tyra banks has amazing legs, I think the other two are tennis players, so I'm sure their legs wouldn't count as "chicken legs" GW has chicken legs, he has universal recognizability, he was the epitome of the point she was trying to make, which was NOT political but rather anatomical. Do some leg presses/extensions and you won't have chicken legs. My point about ad hominem which you completely missed (like entirely) was that ad hominem attacks are not against an issue, how can they be political? By definition they are personal attacks, politics are not about the politician, they are about his POLICIES. If you still don't get it, I give up...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The thing I hate are his chicken hawks who were afraid of getting some iron pumped into them but don't mind at all if it happens to others.

calbear2000

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2001

You're kidding right?

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001

Lemme help you.

Everyone on the planet knows Bush. Almost everyone has seen him jogging his skinny ass around the white house track on one photo op or another. Its to make an association with the largest possible audiance so they get her joke and endear them to her. Sorry Jay Leno will not make fun of how stupid you are because to 99.9999% of the popluation you are anonymous so there is no point. However, he does make comments about Bushs mental acuity daily because he is identified by 99.9999% of the population and some find it funny which increases his ratings.

Get it?

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001

You're on crack.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
The thing I hate are his chicken hawks who were afraid of getting some iron pumped into them but don't mind at all if it happens to others.

LMAO:D

Bush won't pump iron but he send his troops to get iron pumped into them.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Dude . . . seek professional help . . . I would give it a try but I don't deal with adults. Kennedy probably never passed a mirror without looking at himself. Nixon probably never passed a mirror without wondering who was looking at him from behind the mirror. Ford was an athlete in college and a decent intellect (ie somewhere north of Bush) but had a propensity for mistakes in prose aside from policy. The peanut farmer from GA still has a big toothy grin. The CA actor's wife RELLY believes in astrology. Clinton was a threat to every big butt woman and package of Mickey Ds french fries from sea to shining sea. GWB needs ESL and a squat rack . . . or he should do a Clinton . . . jog in warmups.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Dude . . . seek professional help . . . I would give it a try but I don't deal with adults.

Lucky you, adults are worse than children. Maybe Zoologists should work on an adults minds since it's closer to the Baboon?

drewshin

Golden Member
Dec 14, 1999

show me some proof. you dont got any.

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003

Seriously, thats one of the most moronic statements I've heard, and I've heard alot from these forums.

Trezza

Sep 18, 2002
If here comments weren't political why did you post this in P&N and not off topic? Last time I checked Bush doesn't own Borders so that means he didn't do it... and since when does a president need to have athletic legs, they really don't walk anywhere. Its mostly walk off the plane / limo walk to building, greet people, give speech, walk to plane/ limo, go home. Who cares what his legs look like. Some people are just looking for arguments to make. Leave the trival stuff out of here. Let's get back to blaming bush for killing for oil.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Singer-songwriter makes a comment about President Bush's legs while talking at a Borders but makes NO other references to the President or his policies.

Audience members with a sense of humor laugh . . . those without report anti-government hate speech. The idiocy of the far right (scarcely trumping the far left) is what makes this politics and news fodder.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: sMiLeYz

Seriously, thats one of the most moronic statements I've heard, and I've heard alot from these forums.

If you find freedom moronic.

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: sMiLeYz

If you find freedom moronic.

I believe he just finds morons moronic. Freedom you say, but a woman was punished for making a joke about celebrity chicken legs. Looks like an attempt to keep everyone in line to me.