Bands that gained popularity even after the death of a major member?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

theMan

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2005
are we talking about bands that WERENT popular until after the death, or got more popular, or continued to be popular???

somehow i dont see The Beatles or Led Zeppelin that were mentioned. . . especially since they were the biggest bands in their respective times... and nobody from the beatles died until 1981... they both CONTINUE to be popular, but all bands will eventually have dying members, i mean, people only live so long.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: NL5
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
I would say that Ozzy got even more popular after Randy Rhoads died (not sure if you could add in Quiet Riot also with that same death cause they gained a lot more popularity from people associated them with him).

I would disagree. Ozzy was probably most popular while in BS and with Randy. He kinda peaked twice. I don't think any of the guitarists that followed Randy ever lived up to his albums with Ozzy.

zakk wylde garnered as much attention as randy, but randy would have totally surpassed zakks potential if he had lived i bet.

theMan

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2005
WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP SAYING THE BEATLES????? WERE YOU BORN YESTERDAY OR SOMETHING?

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Amused
This is a very poorly worded question, because people are assuming different things.

The question made me think of bands that became more popular, continued performing after the death of members and whose later material sold better than their original material. NOT of bands that gained popularity for their original recordings, but their new lineup did not draw the same interest their original work did.

Based on my reading of the question I would have to say AC/DC is a the leading example of a band that gained popularity after the death of a member. Other examples are The Who, or the Rolling Stones.

People who mentioned Led Zeppelin and Lynard Skynard just don't make sense. Led Zeppelin broke up after Bonzo's death. Lynard Skynard still tours and releases albums, but their popularity rests almost completely on their original material. Nothing they have done since is anywhere near as popular.

Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd didn't die. He went mad. He finally died in 2006, 38 years after he left Pink Floyd.

My bad ... I keep on thinking that Syd Barrett died when he was with Pink Floyd.

Mar 11, 2004
I think people are looking at it financially, while the OP was intending it to be musically. Yes there were plenty of bands that made/brought in more money after a member died, but they didn't actually produce any new music that did it, it was the older music that kept them popular.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
The first band that came to mind for me was AC/DC. They'd have to be the number one example.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Anubis

ill call you a retard all i want,

a sentence ends with a period. You missed a key.

another free lesson, doors that say pull come toward you. The ones that say push, go away.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: chuckywang
I'm talking about bands that gained in popularity due to new material after the death of a major member.

I can think of four:

Metallica
Red Hot Chili Peppers
AC/DC
Pink Floyd

Um, Syd Barrett died in 2006. Pink Floyd peaked in popularity in the late 70s early 80s at best.

Midnight Rambler

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The first band that came to mind for me was AC/DC. They'd have to be the number one example.

And the really sad part about that is that despite gaining a bit more popularity, they are nowhere near the band they were when Bon was up front. Their lyrics flat out suck ... the witticism and double entendres are sadly missed. And I don't think Angus plays anywhere near as well, his heart just doesn't seem to be in it.

Pink Floyd peaked in popularity in the late 70s early 80s at best.

Oh really ? Care to explain then why DSOTM remained in the charts for decades after its release ?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Midnight Rambler

And the really sad part about that is that despite gaining a bit more popularity, they are nowhere near the band they were when Bon was up front. Their lyrics flat out suck ... the witticism and double entendres are sadly missed. And I don't think Angus plays anywhere near as well, his heart just doesn't seem to be in it.

Oh really ? Care to explain then why DSOTM remained in the charts for decades after its release ?
I don't remember seeing that album on any album chart in any year during the 80's.

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Iron Woode

I don't remember seeing that album on any album chart in any year during the 80's.
Seriously?
It only spent 14 years on the top 200 album chart.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: SampSon
Originally posted by: Iron Woode

Seriously?
It only spent 14 years on the top 200 album chart.
meh, when you have to go back 200 albums.....

if it wasn't in the top 40 who cares.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
The only band i can think of offhand that fits the criteria & hasn't been mentioned is The Pretenders.

zerocool1

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
femaven.blogspot.com
Originally posted by: Aflac
Originally posted by: Kadarin
Joy Division (morphed into New Order following the suicide of the lead singer, Ian Curtis).

Not popular enough, apparently; I've never heard of either of them.

they're an 80's band. have you heard of blue monday from orgy....well new order did it first