Bands that gained popularity even after the death of a major member?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
Led Zeppelin
Lynard Skynard (few of originators died in plane crash)

Uhh....both of those bands were legendary when all of their members were alive. Members deaths actually hurt them.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Are we saying that the works of the band become more well-known after a member's death (Nirvana,) or the band itself continued on and became even more popular (Metallica?)

edit: Amused covered it.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Amused
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Queen - more less for the US as they were already really popular in most parts of the world.

How many times has Queen hit the US charts since Mercury's death? Once, with the release of Wayne's World.

Queen, by and large, has been defunct since Mercury's death. They've had some projects, but none have come close to their original popularity.

I just don't see why people confuse "increased popularity" with legacy.

AC/DC sold more NEW material after Scott's death than they sold original material while Scott was alive.. That's an example. Queen did not.

And I have no idea what you're talking about. Queen was wildly popular in the US during their 70s and 80s heyday. Everyone from rockers to pop lovers had Queen albums in their collections. They crossed that line that was so hard to cross in those days between pop and rock and no one cared... they still loved them.

who the hell cares? it's an OT post lol

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I can name 2.

One.
The band Death
Chuck Schuldiner is known by many to be the godfather of death metal.
He formed the band Death in 1983 (at the time it was known as Mantas)
They released a few demos and had a few lineup changes. They became pretty well known in the metal underground. In 1987 they released their first studio album, "Scream Bloody Gore." They were pretty much the number 1 death metal band for many years. In 1999 Chuck got brain cancer. He fought it, however, he died in 2001. Since then, Death is more popular than ever. Death metal as a whole is larger than ever. He also had a band called Control Denied. He was a member of the band Voodoocult. He had a solo project. All of his other works gained popularity with the news of his death. These days there are Death cover bands, most well known is Symbolic. While Chuck is no longer alive in person, all the music he's released lives on and continues to gain popularity.
http://www.emptywords.org/

Number Two.
The band Mayhem.
They made their best music from 1988 to about 1993.
In 1991, their singer Per (Aka Dead) killed himself.
In 1993, Varg Vikernes (aka Count Grishnackh) joined the band as a Bass player. (Also known for his solo project, Burzum.)
Varg and the founding guitar player of the band, Øystein Aarseth (aka Euronymous), had a big feud about money and fame.
Varg stabbed Øystein some 20+ times later in 1993.

The murder got the band a lot of press, and while they may not exactly be "top 10", they are much more widely known than they were before.
The band still lives on today, but I don't care for their more recent tunes.
IMO their best songs are "Chainsaw Gutsfuck" and "Pure Fucking Armaggedon."
Their music is very raw and chaotic. It is not for everyone.

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: TallBill
Nirvana

Although technically true, what I want are bands that gained popularity with new material after the death of a major member. Nivana doesn't fit that mold.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I know it doesn't fit into "bands" really, but Tupac's family really cleaned up after he died.

I would also agree with The Doors and mabye even the Beatles.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: KentState
I know it doesn't fit into "bands" really, but Tupac's family really cleaned up after he died.

Paul wasn't really dead, man ;)

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Aflac
Originally posted by: Kadarin
Joy Division (morphed into New Order following the suicide of the lead singer, Ian Curtis).

Not popular enough, apparently; I've never heard of either of them.

joy division was pretty secluded in its own genre, but new order is huge. i have joy division CDs in my truck, been stealing my bros vinyl and burning them hehe. i did it years ago on cassette, but those are long gone.

and the metallica one wasnt as odd, the bassist wasnt the driving force of the band and they picked up a good one afterwards. their style and music overall is what made their popularity rise, not just the bassist. i can never remember his name, even tho i met him before he died, as well as knew the new guy when he was in flotsam here in az. i set up tons of shows with flotsam, surgical steel and icon when i was a younger rocker. cliff! that was his name! metallica would have gained popularity either way, whether cliff died in that bus or not.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
I would say that Ozzy got even more popular after Randy Rhoads died (not sure if you could add in Quiet Riot also with that same death cause they gained a lot more popularity from people associated them with him).

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Soundmanred
Originally posted by: Aflac
Joy Division (morphed into New Order following the suicide of the lead singer, Ian Curtis).

Not popular enough, apparently; I've never heard of either of them.

Really? I hate them both, but have definately heard of them. Not in a while mind you...
They sang "Blue Monday", which has been redone a few times, but most people know the Orgy version.

Blue Monday came out in '83, so it would be no surprise for today's generation to not know it that well. However, it was influential at the time.

its been covered and sampled to death, everyone has heard it one way or another even if they dont realize it i bet.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: chuckywang
Originally posted by: TallBill
Nirvana

Although technically true, what I want are bands that gained popularity with new material after the death of a major member. Nivana doesn't fit that mold.

B-52's does fit tho... ricky died in 85 but the band got huge after also. they were already huge before that.

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
Led Zeppelin
Lynard Skynard (few of originators died in plane crash)

Uhh....both of those bands were legendary when all of their members were alive. Members deaths actually hurt them.

Yes!

How can anyone say LZ or Queen got more popular??!?!?!?!?

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
I would say that Ozzy got even more popular after Randy Rhoads died (not sure if you could add in Quiet Riot also with that same death cause they gained a lot more popularity from people associated them with him).

I would disagree. Ozzy was probably most popular while in BS and with Randy. He kinda peaked twice. I don't think any of the guitarists that followed Randy ever lived up to his albums with Ozzy.

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Originally posted by: ballmode
BEATLES

/THREAD

Nobody IN THE BEATLES died.

Lennon died LONG after they broke up. Also, I don't think they got more poular since the eighties than they were in the 60's/early 70's. Remember Beatlemania?!?!?!?

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: KentState

Originally posted by: sandorski
Question needs refinement I think. My answer, based on the question, Beatles and Doors.

Beatles? wtf?!