Bands that gained popularity even after the death of a major member?

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
I'm talking about bands that gained in popularity due to new material after the death of a major member.

I can think of four:

Metallica
Red Hot Chili Peppers
AC/DC
Pink Floyd

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Joy Division (morphed into New Order following the suicide of the lead singer, Ian Curtis).

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Kadarin
Joy Division (morphed into New Order following the suicide of the lead singer, Ian Curtis).

Not popular enough, apparently; I've never heard of either of them.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Aflac

Really? I hate them both, but have definately heard of them. Not in a while mind you...
They sang "Blue Monday", which has been redone a few times, but most people know the Orgy version.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: chuckywang
I can think of four:

Metallica
Red Hot Chili Peppers
AC/DC
Pink Floyd

Who died in Pink Floyd? Syd Barrett didn't leave the band due to death...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Question needs refinement I think. My answer, based on the question, Beatles and Doors.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Soundmanred

Really? I hate them both, but have definately heard of them. Not in a while mind you...
They sang "Blue Monday", which has been redone a few times, but most people know the Orgy version.

Blue Monday came out in '83, so it would be no surprise for today's generation to not know it that well. However, it was influential at the time.

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Soundmanred

Blue Monday came out in '83, so it would be no surprise for today's generation to not know it that well. However, it was influential at the time.

It still is, She Want Revenge, The Killers (etc) all draw their roots back to Joy Division.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: silverpig
I can think of four:

Metallica
Red Hot Chili Peppers
AC/DC
Pink Floyd

Who died in Pink Floyd? Syd Barrett didn't leave the band due to death...

I was going to ask the same thing.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
I guess you could say The Allman Brothers, but I am not sure if they gained popularity after Duane died.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
This is a very poorly worded question, because people are assuming different things.

The question made me think of bands that became more popular, continued performing after the death of members and whose later material sold better than their original material. NOT of bands that gained popularity for their original recordings, but their new lineup did not draw the same interest their original work did.

Based on my reading of the question I would have to say AC/DC is a the leading example of a band that gained popularity after the death of a member. Other examples are The Who, or the Rolling Stones.

People who mentioned Led Zeppelin and Lynard Skynard just don't make sense. Led Zeppelin broke up after Bonzo's death. Lynard Skynard still tours and releases albums, but their popularity rests almost completely on their original material. Nothing they have done since is anywhere near as popular.

Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd didn't die. He went mad. He finally died in 2006, 38 years after he left Pink Floyd.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Queen - more less for the US as they were already really popular in most parts of the world.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Queen - more less for the US as they were already really popular in most parts of the world.

How many times has Queen hit the US charts since Mercury's death? Once, with the release of Wayne's World.

Queen, by and large, has been defunct since Mercury's death. They've had some projects, but none have come close to their original popularity.

I just don't see why people confuse "increased popularity" with legacy.

AC/DC sold more NEW material after Scott's death than they sold original material while Scott was alive.. That's an example. Queen did not.

And I have no idea what you're talking about. Queen was wildly popular in the US during their 70s and 80s heyday. Everyone from rockers to pop lovers had Queen albums in their collections. They crossed that line that was so hard to cross in those days between pop and rock and no one cared... they still loved them.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Anubis
I can think of four:

Metallica
Red Hot Chili Peppers
AC/DC
Pink Floyd

who in RHCP died?

Original guitarist Hillel Slovak died of a heroin overdose in 1988.

But the band has replaced half it's members many times over the years.