Ban Offshore Call Centers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Asking to talk to a CSR doesn't mean squat. If anything, you ask to escalate to the next level up (manager, etc).

Heh, so I've had tons of issues with Comcast over the years - namely their stupid billing contracts where "You get $xx per month for 12 months"... at the end of which, they jack up your rate exponentially. Everytime I call to re-negotiate the pricing I start off with "I want to cancel my service" instead of saying "I want customer support/service"... instantly transfers me to a US based rep instead of India based.
I have gotten umpteen mailers from Comcast, I suppose other similar companies (AT&T?) with offers for 12 months. I have always looked at those and thought, well, what happens after 12 months? Obviously you jack up the prices. That alone turns me off and I've never bitten. I'm OTA, I have 2 rooftop antennas that I bought myself. FREE! My TCL Roku TV's have a somewhat primitive DVR support built in that I use most of the time. If I need more sophisticated DVR I use my midtower's HDTV solution, that too off free OTA. I hate subscription TV. I tried free Sling trial but it didn't support DVR, cancelled! No way on earth am I going to subject myself to TV with commercials I can't skip.

Feb 4, 2009
Actually to me the fix is pretty simple for most things. Simply make a law that customer data cannot leave the US. Good luck finding someone to help with a credit card problem when they cannot look at the bill.

eng2d2

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2013
You mean ask the person who answers in a weird accent to transfer you to someone whose first language is English? I might be embarrassed to say that. That wouldn't be a US call center, though, would it???
why are you embarassed? just ask. you will figure it out.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Actually to me the fix is pretty simple for most things. Simply make a law that customer data cannot leave the US. Good luck finding someone to help with a credit card problem when they cannot look at the bill.
?s?i?m?p?l?e?f?i?x

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: whm1974

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
hahha a bunch of racists you all are...….these people working these call centers need to make money and have families to support!
They do the best they can! When you call for help with a problem they don`t demand that you speak their language before you get help....hahahahhaaaaaaaa

• Haha
Reactions: whm1974 and KMFJD

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
hahha a bunch of racists you all are...….these people working these call centers need to make money and have families to support!
They do the best they can! When you call for help with a problem they don`t demand that you speak their language before you get help....hahahahhaaaaaaaa
Yeah, I understand that, but it's me who is getting paid nothing and is frustrated already with my problem and having to deal with someone who has a very tenuous grasp of my problem makes things worse a lot of the time. I'm nice. I am, really, I rarely get fresh or impatient with them. But TBH I have lost my temper a few times!!!

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

Not politically correct to say .... BUT .... perhaps their best simply isn't good enough?

I could not care less about the race of the agent, only about being able to communicate effectively with them.

Reactions: Muse

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
After 20+ years in IT...yeah, fun.

My mantra with basic crap (like dealing with Comcast) is use chat. Fire off a question, then go about in between questions working, doing dishes, etc. while they wait your reply.

Now when you are on the line for when something hits the fans first words that should be uttered: "Give me a trouble ticket ID".

Reactions: Captante

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I have gotten umpteen mailers from Comcast, I suppose other similar companies (AT&T?) with offers for 12 months. I have always looked at those and thought, well, what happens after 12 months? Obviously you jack up the prices. That alone turns me off and I've never bitten. I'm OTA, I have 2 rooftop antennas that I bought myself. FREE! My TCL Roku TV's have a somewhat primitive DVR support built in that I use most of the time. If I need more sophisticated DVR I use my midtower's HDTV solution, that too off free OTA. I hate subscription TV. I tried free Sling trial but it didn't support DVR, cancelled! No way on earth am I going to subject myself to TV with commercials I can't skip.
You can opt out of those mailers, I did that with Spectrum because of 1) the stupid amount of mail they were sending me and 2) I dropped them because I was having at least one outage per month for the six months I had service with them, so I wasn't going back no matter how little they were going to charge me.

Eno Safirey

Dec 14, 2012
I posted in the pre-built desktop sub-forum my adventure with Dell's customer service. There was a brief interval where I was in a chat, on the phone and responding to an email on the same issue all at the same time. My girlfriend keeps telling me I don't know how to multitask.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You can opt out of those mailers, I did that with Spectrum because of 1) the stupid amount of mail they were sending me and 2) I dropped them because I was having at least one outage per month for the six months I had service with them, so I wasn't going back no matter how little they were going to charge me.
I've never been a Comcast customer, at least not me personally. We did have cable here around 1992 or so, never since. Don't know that I could opt out of that kind of mailer.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Our former customer went majorly into the offshore support.....it's been going great :)

/everything should be grinding to a standstill soon

Nov 8, 2012
Not politically correct to say .... BUT .... perhaps their best simply isn't good enough?

I could not care less about the race of the agent, only about being able to communicate effectively with them.

Also, India isn't a race.And an accent has nothing to do with race either. If I talk to someone in Australia with an Australian accent and despise having to deal with them apparently that makes you racist. Whodathunkit?

People really have sunk to new lows in this political correctness to the point of forgetting simple facts in life and going full retard. Never go full retard.

Last edited:

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Call center and accents makes you mad?
Lulz is when call centers become equipped with real time speech sythesizers.
Won't matter what the accent is, it will get converted.
That's for the cases when you are not speaking to AI bot.

Rahul, currently working on his electrical engineering degree. Lives with 5 of his buddies and is slightly hungover after binge watching family guy. Has thick Indian accent.
(Notes region caller is from and system automatically provides precanned statements in callers native accent.)
Starts speaking and system automatically converts to US, Female with faint southern accent.
Hi,lets see how I can help you out today.
Caller - "Ima sure glad I gotta murican caw centa."So glad I didn't get one of them Indians!!"

As the caller responds to questions, the system automatically compares to existing issues and displays on Rahuls screen troubleshooting workflows.

Meanwhile, his boss is a dick.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Well, ya'know, MasterCard .... You'd think they'd have US Support, no?

You think that you want US based customer support, but when you find out that they're going to cut your cash back percentage to pay for the added costs you'll probably change your mind.

You know that they're not going to cut executive bonuses to pay for better support, so who do you think is really going to pay for that added expense?

eng2d2

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2013
What exactly do I say? "Can you please transfer me to someone who speaks better English than you?"

Lets try this again. Here is what to say. Could you transfer me to someone in the US csr please. Its not that hard.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

I hate the fact that this is not a law, simply for privacy and security reasons. It's crazy how our info is just pawned off everywhere without any thoughts. There really needs to be more protections and laws in place for how our data is treated and more accountability.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
*facepalm* They're paid to speak English.
Not really, my post was injest...but like so many others lately who post in jest and don`t say it is in jest, I decided to see what would develop!!
Personally, I never ask to speak to somebody who speaks English better than the person I am talking too!
I will just say politely, would you please connest me with somebody who located in the United States? or I will deal with the person for a minute or two until I ask the question are you using a manual to help me? Then I will say I have tried all that could you connect me to a supervisor? Most of the time -- not all -- the supervisor speaks better English!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I hate the fact that this is not a law, simply for privacy and security reasons. It's crazy how our info is just pawned off everywhere without any thoughts. There really needs to be more protections and laws in place for how our data is treated and more accountability.
Not really it will get to the point using your logic where they nobody wioll be able to help anybody unless you show up in person with ID and a signed release of your information.....thats where this is going using your logic!!
People need to quit being so uptight....you want to be helped? Well you have to suck iy up and allow yourself to be helped!

eng2d2

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2013
Its not only speaking english being criteria for CSR. Mindset is important.