Bally Total Fitness

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
I've been a member at Bally in Dunwoody, GA now for almost a year. I signed a 3 yr contract figuring that I'd save the most $ that way and knew that I'd keep working out. Yesterday I go into Bally and my friend sees a sign up saying that the location in my city is closing the last day in September. So I'm thinking wtf.... the manager and regional manager was telling everyone that their membership will transfer to another Bally 7 miles North in Alpharetta. Well I only work out immediately after work and its pretty rough fighting traffic as it is. Having to go another 7 miles in Atlanta traffic in that construction area will take at least 30 minutes. It seems as if I'm binded to my 3 yr contract, but hell I didn't expect for my damn location to sell their building!!! Has anyone else had experiences like this? It seems as if management will not help out and I will have to talk with someone at corporate to get out of my contract (if its even possible) - they seem like hardasses.

I will post more about this situation after I make some calls and talk to management today - I have the feeling I'm going to blow a fuse though.

CLIFFS for teh lazee

1- I'm a member at Bally w/ 3 yr contract
2- My convenient Bally location is closing next month (sold the bldg)
3- They want me to go 7 miles out of the way (new location -traffic's a b*tch) and I cannot break contract
4- It's complete BS - any suggestions/experiences with something similar?

imported_griffis

Sep 14, 2005
Yeh this crap blows, I am his friend who saw the flyer. Bunch of BS, anyone have previous experience with Bally?

phatj

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2003
just say you're moving to a place that doesn't have a ballys nearby... just have some mail sent in your name to a friend's house who is far far away and you can get out of ur contract that way.... just make sure there are no bally's like within 25 miles or so from your friend's house

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
yep if you can show them you live 25-30 miles away from any bally total fitness then they will cancel your contract for you for free.

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Aimster
yep if you can show them you live 25-30 miles away from any bally total fitness then they will cancel your contract for you for free.

I'm not going to move 25 miles just to get out of my contract. They should work out something for closing the original location that I signed up at and intended on working out at for the next 2 yrs.

Wonderful Pork

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2005
Originally posted by: SirChadwick

I'm not going to move 25 miles just to get out of my contract. They should work out something for closing the original location that I signed up at and intended on working out at for the next 2 yrs.

just SAY you are moving, then give them a new forwarding address in Africa or something.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yes Bally's blows hard. I would not be a member if I didn't get such a good price. I pay like $108/yr ... $9/mo. I just pay upfront in April.

The quality of the gym is pretty crappy. No one puts their weights back. It's always crowded. Everyone thinks they are such a tough guy.

But hell for that price I can't beat it.

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Originally posted by: purbeast0
Yes Bally's blows hard. I would not be a member if I didn't get such a good price. I pay like $108/yr ... $9/mo. I just pay upfront in April.

The quality of the gym is pretty crappy. No one puts their weights back. It's always crowded. Everyone thinks they are such a tough guy.

But hell for that price I can't beat it.

$108/yr is damn cheap. I'd have to pay like over $700 to pay off my 2 yrs left. The gym I work out at is fairly crappy w/ older equipment, aside from treadmills. And yup, no one ever put their weights back. Plus they always want to charge you $10 for a new card if you misplace it and you can't reactivate them if you find your old one.

jlbenedict

Banned
Jul 10, 2005

Isn't that most gyms? :)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: jlbenedict

Isn't that most gyms? :)

I dunno. Only other gym I've really worked out for a long time was the one at UMD College Park, and no, it was the exact opposite of that. Well it was crowded but it was a HUGE fvcking gym. I would also lift in the old gym which would be pretty empty. But no one was a dick and everyone would put their weights back.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
LA Fitness FTW?

At least they don't force you into staying with them if you don't want to or can't.

But I think most gyms are rips.

Only thing from what I've ever heard is that you'd have to start mailing off some junk mail to a friends or relatives house that doesn't have a Bally's within a 30 plus mile range, then take that to them as "proof" that you don't live near one anymore and they "should" cancel your membership.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001

Does your contract have any stipulations about a particular location it is tied to?

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Originally posted by: MrChad

Does your contract have any stipulations about a particular location it is tied to?

I'd have to wait until I get home, but I believe it says they can relocate your membership at anytime under the contract - of course it's in small print.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: MrChad

I'd have to wait until I get home, but I believe it says they can relocate your membership at anytime under the contract - of course it's in small print.

If that's the case, there's not much you can do. Just chalk it up as a lesson learned about signing long term contracts.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BD2003
Originally posted by: dabuddha
Yeah that does suck. I hope they let you out of your contract.

They wont.

Highly likely I'm screwed after reading all the complaints through google

Only way I know of is to get a doctor to sign off saying that you are unable to work out for several months...