Question Ballistix 2x16GB DDR4-3200 and B450 mobo

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
RE: Desktop in sig below...

There have been a couple of posts on this RAM, I happened to grab some... maybe by mistake. I was in a hurry when I bought the parts for this upgrade... I saw 'Crucial' and '3200' and thought it would be a pretty safe bet, and ran with it.

What I have...

What it looks like... (see attached.)

What it's in...

No, this RAM isn't on the QVL list, but there are similar components... but not the same. According to CPUz, this stuff is running at 2400MHz, but has an XMP profile. Every time I enable XMP in the BIOS, it crashes. I guess I'm happy with it at 2400MHz, but it seems like I paid the money, I should be able to get more out of it, even if it's just reduced timings. I have Ryzen Master downloaded, I haven't really fooled with it just yet, but I'm wondering...

For those of you familiar with either the mobo, RAM, or both, particularly on the B450 chipset, if you have any experience OC'ing it, or even tightening up the timings, I'm all ears.

I have considered just taking this stuff back, and getting something else, but I don't know if the limits are from the mobo, or the RAM... or both. I miss the good old days of DDR3... when you could get stupid with OC's and timings and it wasn't that much trouble. It sure seems like the AMD boards in particular are quite picky.

Attachments

• New Picture3.jpg
    New Picture3.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 9

thor23

Jul 13, 2019
Says it's Micron ram probably rev e so the ram should be fine at its xmp profile. I'm guessing it's a combination of your zen+ cpu and/or motherboard causing the problem.

I have the same problem with my 3200 xmp ram with a 2600 and asus b350 board. Nobody can get ram to run stable above 3133mhz with a zen+ cpu on my board, I have to run my 3200mhz ram at 3066mhz. Apparently with a zen 2 cpu ram is fine all the way to 3800mhz so I would just keep the ram if I were you it will most likely run faster when you upgrade your cpu.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
if its not too much work... return the ram and get another set. can you do that?

i've had non stop headaches with bad ram a few years back and coincidentally it was also ballistix.

ironically, i use them now haha. XMP as u know works well in my system so far for 1 week.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I just tried XMP again, this afternoon... it made it all of 30 seconds before the BSOD.

Not sure... it's been over 30 days, but I did buy it at MicroCenter... I don't know how picky they are.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
The Ryzen 2700x officially supports up to DDR4-2933: https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-2700x

Maybe the memory controller on your CPU can't reliably run memory at 3200 MHz. Have you tried lowering the memory speed manually to 2933 MHz but with the same timings as the DDR4-3200 XMP profile?

Well, and I wondered about the top speed with the 2700... whether I was asking it to do something it was incapable of, I think you are right. I haven't tried manually OC'ing, I haven't quite figured out the Ryzen Master just yet, but I think that's where I will go.