Baker lab (Rosetta@home) publication of de novo designed protein with improved anti-cancer activity

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Sometimes we question our support of DC due to the high cost of hardware and electricity but a recent paper published in Nature by the Baker lab is quite remarkable IMO. They designed a novel protein using Rosetta that has the desirable properties of the naturally occurring IL-2 and IL-15 proteins and found that it has improved activity and reduced toxicity against colon and melanoma cancers in mouse models.

Link to abstract and link to PDF of full paper.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
This is exactly what I spend my money on.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Sometimes we question our support of DC due to the high cost of hardware and electricity but a recent paper published in Nature by the Baker lab is quite remarkable IMO. They designed a novel protein using Rosetta that has the desirable properties of the naturally occurring IL-2 and IL-15 proteins and found that it has improved activity and reduced toxicity against colon and melanoma cancers in mouse models.

Link to abstract and link to PDF of full paper.

The thought has crossed my mind a few times. I've thought of shutting down the farm, or at least downsizing. Electricity hasn't gotten cheaper over the years, and probably never will. But reading breakthroughs like this is encouraging and keeps us going!

Markfw

May 16, 2002
After downsizing by 6 1080TI cards, I still got a $513 electric bill today ! But this helps justify it .

Reactions: biodoc

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
IMO one of the better areas to pursue in cancer research. Just a decade ago metastatic melanoma would have been a certain and speedy death sentence, but now we have PD-1, PD-L1, and CTLA4 inhibitors that might keep the cancer at bay for years. Figuring out creative ways to direct our own immune systems to destroy cancer while minimizing side effects might buy enough time until curative therapies can be developed.

Reactions: ZipSpeed

Markfw

May 16, 2002
IMO one of the better areas to pursue in cancer research. Just a decade ago metastatic melanoma would have been a certain and speedy death sentence, but now we have PD-1, PD-L1, and CTLA4 inhibitors that might keep the cancer at bay for years. Figuring out creative ways to direct our own immune systems to destroy cancer while minimizing side effects might buy enough time until curative therapies can be developed.
Yes, cancer drugs is what caused me to go deaf ! (google "sudden deafness") I will support these projects until I go broke. $500 a month in electricity and hardware, a necessary evil !

Edit: Interferon most likely.