Bad p3 chip or lying bios ? Help double check me...

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
I'm building another old school rig (for my voodoo5 5500:D) so I can lan with my oldest childs rig and teach him th ways of Quake and Unreal.

Everything is known good but the board and cpu. Its a "new" in the box oem MSI 815e board. MS-6337 le5 to be exact. The chip is a 1.2 tualatin (yes the board supports it ;).

Everything lights up and spins up just peachy....then the bios does the French ambulance imitation. DEEDOODEEDOODEEDOODEEDOO constantly....no boot.

According to Award/Phoenix this means the cpu has failed. I removed and reseated it twice, swapped the cmos battery for a new one and double/triple checked everything.

I don't have another socket370 board or chip to test with so I am kind of stuck here. Has anyone had this beep code and is it pretty accurate as the cpu being the faulty part? Am I missing something maybe?

Thanks......

Dan

bacillus

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
only time I've heard that sound was when my cpu was overheating due to excessive vcore at startup!

RalfHutter

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2000
Is the CPU new, can you RMA it? Is it boxed retail or OEM? Are you sure the board supports Tualatin processors? Look here at the I815 section to see the different MS-6337 boards that MSI makes.

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
Its a version 5 so its Tualatin compatible. I had to remove the big "Tualatin" sticker from the socket before installing the chip. The chip is from fs/ft. The seller will take it back no problem, I just want to make sure that is the problem and not the board. He pulled it from an operating system.

The voltage thing sounds possible. How did you get to the bios to change the settings? I reset the cmos several times to no avail. It never initializes far enough along to get the bios screen before the alarm goes off.

bacillus

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
my problem came about when jumpering a slocket incorrectly.
your problem could be that your present bios isn't recent enough to recognise the tualatin cpu & it's probably using a default coppermine voltage(that would be an overvoltage for the tualatin core) to try to start up the system.
just guessing here!

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
This is the version I have.

I believe that from the first bios release on it should recognize the Tualatin. There are no voltage jumpers so I don't know how to see what it is trying to do in the bios. The only jumpers are for if you want to overclock that way rather than in the bios.

I'm stumped. I would flash to the latest bios but I can't get there from here.

The seller is sending me a 933 Coppermine to see if it will boot with that. If it does, I will flash to the latest bios and try the 1.2 again. Its about all I can see to try at this point.

RalfHutter

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2000
Originally posted by: bacillus
your problem could be that your present bios isn't recent enough to recognise the tualatin cpu & it's probably using a default coppermine voltage(that would be an overvoltage for the tualatin core) to try to start up the system.
just guessing here!

I had this exact same problem with an Intel 815EEA2U MoBo and a Tualatin Celeron CPU. The MoBo was supposed to support Tualatin CPUs but all it would do was not POST and sit there and beep at me. I ended up putting a CUmine CPU in the board and flashing the latest BIOS and only then could I run the Tualeron. What do you do if you don't have a CUmine CPU handy? Good question.