Bad News: Windows 10 update to new version# wiped out WMC

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
For earlier discussion which this picks up, look at the thread on HDHomeRun DVR.

I was able to download and install WMC on Win 10, publicized and linked through that thread or similar. Installing it seemed a bit quirky at first, but it's run for the last month, recording programs, displaying encrypted and premium channels normally -- everything. Not a glitch or a hitch.

Tonight, I ran Windows update. It was a pretty intensive update to a new version number -- I think the original was 1511?

Suddenly, WMC is gone. It's gone. Now I'm wondering if I should reinstall. What a pain in the ass.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any intelligence forthcoming?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Win 10 has had a history of deleting unofficial windows items like this during updates.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I had a feeling WMC on Windows 10 would break with the AU. Any luck getting it set back up?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Good thing I checked this thread today, or I would have missed your responses a little longer.

To nerp: No. It doesn't seem to want to install to the new comprehensive Win 10 update.

This could derive from more than one reason, or so I suspect -- that reason being that the new update simply doesn't allow for the installation. I've yet to try completely reinstalling Win 10, running all the updates, and then attempting to reinstall WMC. But I did try and install WMC on the current Win10 about three times -- uninstalling and rebooting between attempts. No cigar.

I'll be interested to see who else had the same experience with the Win10 Windows Update from build 1511(?).

At the same time, HDHomeRun VIEW behaves just as it did before with the HDHR DVR backend.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I hate to say this, but this is one of the reasons why I have avoided the HDHomeRun all these years because it relied on MS...

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
I hate to say this, but this is one of the reasons why I have avoided the HDHomeRun all these years because it relied on MS...
? You know of a different network tuner that doesn't rely on MS under windows that also supports CCI-CO content?
And the HDHomeRun also does DRM under Android, so.....

*As I have mentioned repeatedly, DRM is a royal PITA.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Speaking of them getting DRM working on android, I wonder if their "solution" for windows will be to run a VM based on android?
I just don't see how they can implement anything else without having to pay a ton of $$$ to control DRM.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
And that's the reason someone like us -- hooked as we are on Media Center -- would be concerned about the future.

If you remember, one of the cable channels featured a series entitled "Rome" about Caesar and the fall of the Roman Republic -- marvelous series. I had captured all of both seasons before the HDCP and other restrictions limited playback to the recording PC.

I just wish I knew more about what to expect so I can plan a "household media future."

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
I just wish I knew more about what to expect so I can plan a "household media future."

If I knew, I would likely be rich as a result.. :)

My best guesstimate is that the solution I am running should be competitive for at least the next three to five years, before infrastructure and other changes force me to re- examine things.. At the same time, I do attempt to keep in the loop enough to minimize the big transitions like the one I just did (WMC -> Android)