bad GPU or drivers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Funny how that works on that model.

I got a 2gb non ti model i got the core at 950 core,2350 memory on stock voltages and i haven't had a single issue yet.

Is it only happening with the ti model or just luck of the draw depending on gpu?

Almost every thread, if not all, I've seen are people with the standard 1GB EVGA 560ti with whatever the overclock is they put on their 'vanilla' 560ti.

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
The video linked to at youtube has a updated comment from the video uploader.

So, some info for anyone whos interested. After some time the new drivers came out and all that goodness and it really only delayed the issue. more recently my power supply died out and i replaced it, since then... i haven't had any issues. If you have a spare PSU laying around i'd suggest swapping it out to see if that helps. I haven't had the issue in quite some time now and I've played for over 3-4 hours in one sitting.

I've seen artifacts like this with a gtx 480, come from a user that had a old powerstrip.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
I just got a nvidia clear screen of death™ which happens off and on too with nvidia and BF3. The game just dies but the window is still "open" but you can't see it and have to alt-tab out and kill it. It was thoroughly enjoyed, 90+ minutes into 1 round and about a minute from ending and crash. Needless to say I am fairly bitter, losing all the trophies (30,000 points+) due to nvidia drivers. It was a team deathmatch 1000 kills round, and I literally played for 90+ minutes from the start until they were playing the music that the last 10 people had to go to finish the round.

You should be able to download MSI afterburner and use that for downclocking.
I happen to have a MSI card but I believe this works for them all.
http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Also, I'm not going to "underclock" my factory overclock. I'll just wait for nvidia to fix it. Anyways, while it "might" work, I prefer the 10fps more to possibly not crashing/artifacting due to crappy drivers.

Last edited:

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
The video linked to at youtube has a updated comment from the video uploader.

I've seen artifacts like this with a gtx 480, come from a user that had a old powerstrip.

It's worth a try with those particular artifacts. The triangular ones are simply nvidia bugs. I have a few month old 650 watt corsair so I know it's not that, but my artifacts are different like in the video I posted. Additionally, the nvidia clear screen of death™.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
Back on topic, I too suspect that either your card or PSU is bad. Those artifacts are unlike anything shown on youtube, and not like anything I've personally seen due to drivers.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
This looks like a bad card to me. I've never had a card before the exhibited that type of artifact that could be fixed with software. I believe that type of artifact is generally indicative of a RAM issue/error.

My first GTX 560Ti 448 did the exact same thing within minutes of installing it, but its replacement has been perfect. I bought mine locally from Fry's so I didn't have to worry about downtime.

Oct 9, 1999
turned the voltage up a hair, lowered everything a hair. installed beta drivers. played for 2 hours no problems. we will see how it holds up.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
turned the voltage up a hair, lowered everything a hair. installed beta drivers. played for 2 hours no problems. we will see how it holds up.

If it doesn't work at factory clocks you may as well RMA it asap. The 560 ti 448 stock will likely dry up at some point.