Bad CPU/GPU/Mobo Troubleshooting

MTK2013

Dec 28, 2012
I built a machine a few days ago with the following specs:

CPU: Core i7-3770K
GPU: ASUS GTX660-DC2-2GD5 GeForce GTX 660 (2GB 192-bit GDDR5)
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P LGA 1155 Intel Z68
HDD : WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM (x2)
RAM: CORSAIR XMS 32GB DDR3 (1600)
PSU: Rosewill CAPSTONE 650W

After installation, BIOS setup, etc. the OS is taking 15-20 minutes just to get past the start up screen with the Windows logo. When I make it to the login screen and am actually able to login (which is about 30% of the time), everything moves at a crawl.

I did clean reinstalls of Windows on both hard drives, but the problem persists. 32GBs is a lot of RAM obviously, so I ran a RAM diagnostics with Memtest86+ and everything checked out fine.

The CPU temp at idle is around 40 degrees, so the fan/heatsink seem to be doing their jobs. This leaves:

1. GPU
2. CPU
3. Motherboard
4. DVD Drive
5. Power Supply... maybe???

I have no idea how to test these without being able to run Windows. Any ideas??? I really hope it's not the power supply!

Last edited:

Dragonslayer999

Dec 14, 2011
Take out your GPU since you can use integrated GPU of i7-3770 as output to your monitor (this way you can rule out GPU) and remove the other 3 memory module to rule out any conflict with memory. If you have spare power supply, swap it out. All you need is power to motherboard, CPU and hard drive to rule out power supply. Sorry that's all I can think of.

MTK2013

Dec 28, 2012
Great points Dragonslayer! I'm going to take all three of those steps. The computer's for work, so I'll be bringing it home to swap out the power supply with a spare I have.

Kenmitch, good call! I seriously didn't even think of that and now that you mention it, the BIOS settings are underclocking the RAM. Definitely worth checking this one out...

MTK2013

Dec 28, 2012
Holy crap, I just checked and I think you're right Kenmitch! People are RMAing this board like crazy according to the Newegg reviews section. It's falsely advertised as being ivy-bridge ready, but actually requires a BIOS update and by all reports, even that isn't solving the boot loop issue.

I'm going to go through the other diagnostic steps just to be absolutely sure there's no conflicting issues and then I'm swapping the board for something else.

MTK2013

Dec 28, 2012
UPDATE: I tried removing all the RAM and adding it back in, one DIMM at a time. This (surprisingly) worked. I was then able to check the BIOS version and it is the latest revision (F7) for this particularly mobo... and it supposedly offers full support for Ivy Bridge CPUs, so we can rule that out.

What I've found is that the slow boot problem is only happening when all four DIMMs are in. The OS works fine with 1, 2 or 3 DIMMs installed. I'm so confused... What could be causing this to happen?

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
UPDATE: I tried removing all the RAM and adding it back in, one DIMM at a time. This (surprisingly) worked. I was then able to check the BIOS version and it is the latest revision (F7) for this particularly mobo... and it supposedly offers full support for Ivy Bridge CPUs, so we can rule that out.

What I've found is that the slow boot problem is only happening when all four DIMMs are in. The OS works fine with 1, 2 or 3 DIMMs installed. I'm so confused... What could be causing this to happen?

I was just looking at Gigabytes page and noticed the F7 was compatable with the 3770k. I kinda figured your MB would have shipped with it as it was dated 2/20/2012.

U1e(UEFI BIOS) is most current bios listed for your MB. Doubt it would solve your issue....But one never knows

It's possible your MB doesn't like your memory choice.
Did you set the memory up to specs in bios? XMP profile?
What voltage is it running at? If rated for 1.5v's maybe see if bumping to 1.55v's helps.

MTK2013

Dec 28, 2012
I know that rev 7 is supposed to offer full Ivy Bridge support, but I found some random forum post (that I wish I had saved!) that said there's a conflict between 32gb of ram and the on-board graphics of the 3770k. I checked the setting that disables the on-board VGA in the BIOS and that did help to an extent (Windows boots properly now) but performance is still maybe 1.5 out of 10 right now.

I called Gigabyte and they told me to update to the UEFI BIOS... Problem is, I don't actually know how to change the BIOS and his English wasn't the best, so his explanation was a bit hard to follow. I'm going to try it out and check back in... Hopefully I do this correctly.

@ehume: No, the RAM is totally fine. As long as there are less than 4 sticks installed, everything works fine... doesn't matter which ones.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Maybe disable any "auto" memory settings? You could browse through the auto settings when things work and just manually enter all those settings after installing all 4 sticks. or dig out the specs for the ram and try manually entering them? maybe something fishy with the autodetect memory stuff when all 4 sticks are in?

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
This definitely sounds like a "total capacity of installed memory is problematic" type situation.

I experienced this myself when I went from 4GB to 8GB on some system in the past. The BIOS would read all the ram and the mobo maker claimed the mobo supported 8GB but it was doing something silly dumb with mapping the GPU ram and so forth such that it brought the OS to a crawl.

I hope the OP has better success than I did though, in my case the only thing I found that would work was to install at most 6GB of ram...and then eventually replace the mobo with one that actually worked as advertised :(

MTK2013

Dec 28, 2012
I just updated the BIOS per Gigabytes recommendation and am still getting the same issue.

MTK2013

Dec 28, 2012
This computer is for work and I'm pretty sure my boss is losing patience with the whole situation, so I'm trying everything right now.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
This computer is for work and I'm pretty sure my boss is losing patience with the whole situation, so I'm trying everything right now.

:(

Sorry to hear you are in a time-to-resolution race in diagnosing the bug.

My approach would involve substituting hardware components and isolate the specific issue - be it the specific ram model you using, or the mobo, or the chipset - but it doesn't sound like you have the luxury of the time that sort of debugging entails.

Do you need to run 32GB? Can you get away with just 16GB (two dimms in dual-channel mode)?

Do you have another 32GB kit to try (different make and model, do not waste your time testing the different dimms from the same make/model kit)?

Do you have another mobo to try - not the same gigabyte make and model but a truly different mobo altogether?

MTK2013

Dec 28, 2012
@idontcare - Thanks! I appreciate the support!

I have some 2gb dimms at my house that I could try popping in. I downloaded the Intel Diagnostic Tool for Windows 7 64-bit and ran that. My CPU passed the diagnostic, so I take that as a good sign (that maybe my CPU is not the culprit). Does anyone know if this tool is a good gauge for processor performance?

Unfortunately, I don't have another 32gb kit or another board to swap out (I wish I did), but I'm considering just sending the motherboard back and swapping it for another one. And go for the Z77 instead the Z68 chipset (which I believe is not the ideal chipset for ivy's). The only reason I'm hesitating is if I send out for new parts, I won't have a computer to work on. C'est la vie... I guess!

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
I have no experience with the software you mention, but I have to believe it is doing its job correctly.

You probably are better off getting the Z77 board.

My Z68 board is weird with my 3770k, it locks up in windows if I have the GPU installed in PCIe slot #1. Latest bios and all.

Put my 2600k into the same mobo and the GPU is fine being used in slot #1.

So you may be on to something there.