Bad Company 2 crashes my computer

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
I was having some issues overclocking my system. I could OC my GPU a bit (5770) and be fine (without CPU OC). I could OC my CPU a bit just fine (without GPU OC). Overclocking both at the same time would cause a lot of crashes. Usually the screen would suddenly fill up with solid colors, lines, or garbage, and I'd have to hard reset the computer.

So, I decided to upgrade my PSU. The problem seems to be fixed now. I can OC my GPU and CPU now without issue (tested with a 10% or less OC). I can run Prime95 for a while without errors and Furmark without artifacts, crashing, etc. I've also confirmed my 5770 isn't running into memory error protection stuff. I've also attempted playing games without issue.

So, I just bought BC2. I have a 10% OC on my CPU and less than a 10% OC on my GPU. I load up BC2 and start a new campaign. Sometime during the intro scene, my computer locks up, my sound stops working, and my screen is dark grey and has some vertical lines on it. This is very similar to the issues I had before I upgraded my PSU.

I try putting my CPU at stock speeds. Same issue at the same spot. I set my GPU at stock speeds, and now I can play the game.

Is something messed up with BC2? Is it extremely sensitive to GPU overclocking? Or do I just have a lemon of a GPU when it comes to overclocking? The latter would surprise me considering Furmark and all over my other games don't seem to mind the OC.

I was thinking it might be the GSOD I keep hearing about, but what I get doesn't seem to look much like what everyone else gets.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
It crashes a lot of people's computers (including mine). Don't worry about it.

InfoTiger

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2004
BFBC2 stressed my 4850x2 2G over 80c, while Call of Duty 4 only 70c.
So better not to OC gpu with this game I guess.

1h4x4s3x

Mar 5, 2010
Sorry but that's just utterly reckless.
OCing your CPU and GPU while not being sure if your PSU can handle it and not checking your temps?

What are you system specs?
Everything works when not OCed?
Everything works when only CPU OCed?
Everything work when only GPU OCed?

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
Sorry but that's just utterly reckless.
OCing your CPU and GPU while not being sure if your PSU can handle it and not checking your temps?

What are you system specs?
Everything works when not OCed?
Everything works when only CPU OCed?
Everything work when only GPU OCed?

Uhhh, reckless? My previous PSU SHOULD have been able to handle some overclocking based on its specs. However, it was a cheap PSU, so I doubt the specs were truthful.

And yes, I check my temps all the time. Everything runs cool. I just stated that I didn't check particularly for BC2 yet.

System specs:
Athlon II X2 240
Sapphire 5770 v1 (with VF900 cooler)
4GB Corsair RAM (DDR2)
Rosewill RG530-S12 PSU (reviews show it's actually pretty good)
ECS A780GM-A Ultra motherboard

Everything works stock and with individual components overclocked. Even CPU and GPU overclocked at the same runs fine. Only BC2 shows issues with just the GPU is overclocked by less than 10%.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
Yea I'm going to say it isnt BFBC2 crashing your system here.

Any help to offer, then? It doesn't seem logical to me that everything else runs just fine with a slight GPU overclock (less than 10%, no CPU OC) except for BC2. I mean, to me, that seems more like a BC2 or driver related issue. But, hey, if you'd like to share your reasoning, I'm all ears...

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
I don't want to be rude but you already figured it out.

I try putting my CPU at stock speeds. Same issue at the same spot. I set my GPU at stock speeds, and now I can play the game.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
I don't want to be rude but you already figured it out.

Yes, that's obviously the fix to play the game without crashing. I just don't understand why everything else runs just fine with it overclocked by a tiny, tiny amount, yet BC2 crashes.

Sentry2

Mar 21, 2005
Sounds like it could possibly be a VRAM issue. Have you tried running BC2 with your furmark stable overclock on the gpu and the memory at stock clocks? I'm sure BC2 uses a lot more VRAM than furmark. If I'm remembering right...furmark was only using just over 200MB at 1920x1080 w/8x AA. I haven't been keeping up with aftermarket heatsinks for video cards since I usually just leave the stock cooler on or jump straight to water and get out the soldering iron... :) ...does the VF900 come with any ramsinks? Some people will swear that you don't need them but I've always had instability problems if I didn't use a set of high quality ramsinks. I've always had good luck with swiftech copper sets, and even the $7 thermaltake copper set that Newegg sold in the past.

Unless you just got unlucky with your card... I'd think you'd be able to get a 10% gpu/mem oc pretty easy. My Asus 5850 in my micro atx rig runs at 1000MHz (1.287v) // 1250MHz...using the stock cooler(MX-2 applied) with the fan at 53%. Pretty loud for sure but it never breaks 70c in BC2. It's furmark stable too...with the fan cranked way up to handle the extra voltage of course. Hope you get it figured out bud.

Edit: I also have 2 friends that built pc's with that power supply and both systems run great. One guy is running an oc'd GTX 260 with an i5 @ 3.6 without any issues at all.

Last edited:

NoQuarter

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
My 5770 has very small margin on the memory clocks but the core clocks like a champ. Try with just the memory at a lower clock.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
Ah, I'll see if keeping the memory clocks at stock while OCing fixes the issue. I didn't really think much about that.

And yes, it came with ramsinks. The stock cooling on the v1 5770s was pretty skimpy. Barely anything on the RAM chips on the front side (nothing on the back ones).

Sentry2

Mar 21, 2005
Sounds like a plan. What settings/resolution are playable for you in BC2 with your 5770?

NoQuarter

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
I'm not a huge OC'er but I just clocked up my core step by step till it crashed (well, it never did with CCC's limit of 960Mhz), then put it to stock and clocked up my memory step by step till it crashed (~1340Mhz :(). Then put both at just under crashing point.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
Sounds like a plan. What settings/resolution are playable for you in BC2 with your 5770?

1680x1050 with all high settings and 2x AA, 4x AF

Its not the game......its your video card.

Google : ATI and gray screen.

GL

That's what I was thinking, and I mentioned that in my first post. However, my screen doesn't look like what people normally get for the GSOD.

ermasta

May 22, 2007
Well i have an ATI 5750 and i get the gray screen and black screen.

I get artifacts while choosing my weapons...once i start running in the game is fine.

After a while it goes gray and i have to tab out.

Black screen its worse cause everything goes black exept for players name and objective a/b

ATI knows about the issue but ignores the customers complaint...yet they are realeasing patches for something they say it does not exist.

I would go Nvidia if you dont want to put up with it. They might be using old tech but atleast it works.

I played last night and did not have the grayor black screen...did have the artifacts..Im using 10.2.

There is however a work arround that is helping some people out..go to the ATI forums and you will find it.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
All clues point to your card overheating.

10% overclock shouldn't do any harm. Something is not right with your system.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
All clues point to your card overheating.

10% overclock shouldn't do any harm. Something is not right with your system.

The card's temps don't read as it being too hot.

Either way, turning off the memory overclock while leaving the core overclocked seems to work. Guess it was the memory.

My 5770 is a terrible overclocker. Core won't OC past 900mhz. :(

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
1680x1050 with all high settings and 2x AA, 4x AF

That's what I was thinking, and I mentioned that in my first post. However, my screen doesn't look like what people normally get for the GSOD.

What kind of fps are you getting at those settings.

[WindowSettings]
Width=1680
Height=1050
Fullscreen=true
RefreshRate=59.95425
VSync=true
[Sound]
Quality=high
VoipEnable=true
SpeakerCount=0
[Graphics]
Effects=high
Soldiers=high
Vehicles=high
Overgrowth=high
Undergrowth=high
StaticObjects=high
Terrain=high
Shadows=high
Bloom=true
HSAO=true
MSAA=1
Water=high
MainQuality=custom
Texture=high
DxVersion=10
Aniso=2
Detail=high
RenderAheadLimit=2
Fov=55

With Fraps enabled i'm usually sitting between 40-50fps on avg. I've seen it dip down to 28fps with a very big explosion. I'm only on the first or second level but seems very playable on my 4890 at stock.

10.2 drivers