Bad chip or defective components?

kaigaming

Dec 12, 2013
Hello all I recently built a new rig with 4670k and z87x ud3h. So far it's giving me bsod randomly. Sometimes in just a few minutes and sometimes in hours. My first thought was too little voltage at 4.1ghz. So I set it to auto and ran aida64. After 4 hours it still crashed. Is it even possible to fail aida64 with auto voltage? I only overclocked it to 4.1ghz!

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
How about you tell us how it performs at stock cpu clocks and voltages. If no BSOD then it's clearly an overclocking problem.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
You need to read up on OCing that chip, "Auto" is not good enough. A mobo-specific guide is best.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
You need to read up on OCing that chip, "Auto" is not good enough. A mobo-specific guide is best.

Without firsthand experience, I could only guess that 4.1 with a Haswell K needs more than auto. We're comparing notes on our SB-K chips in another thread. I think someone mentioned that you can remain stable at 4.2 on auto settings. But I still feel obligated to test them, and if they're "stable" but still in evidence of ECC "re-dos" in LinX iterations, I'll drop the auto settings and tweak the voltages manually.

There really seems to be a flurry of folks coming in here eager to overclock, and someone noted that there's somehow this assumption that the AI OC'ing or "auto-overclocking" features will do it. But they only do so within a certain range, and then the range varies from processor gen to processor gen.

So -- yeah -- read several reviews, guides, forum exchanges or whatever it takes to come up to speed on what your doing and how you should go about doing it. The nature of the information means it could be less reliable than your text on Computer Architecture, so -- read several, take notes, and then take notes as you go forward with a process that could tax your patience . . .