Bad call by officials.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE
Originally posted by: eits
Originally posted by: BlancoNino
To clarify that the horse collar rule has nothing to do with this.

"The horse-collar tackle is an American football tackle in which a defender grabs the back inside of an opponent's shoulder pads and yanks the ball-carrier downwards, a technique which has been used for decades."

From wikipedia. The rule (and nothing I've read anywhere) mentions anything about hair.

but that rule does not require the grabbing of an opponents shoulder pads anymore, if you grab his jersey, by that area, its illegal as well.

as happened in the NOLA game to reggie bush.

i think you're wrong.

i think i watched the NOLA game today where the announcers SPECIFICALLY talked about the jersey grabbing.

wtf is nola? just say saints or something... it's either no or saints.

anyways, the rule is that you can't grab the jersey or horsecollar and immediately pull the player down. i'm pretty sure (as it was explained on the fox nfl postgame show) that if you grab the jersey and THEN grab the horsecollar it's legal because you're not pulling down immediately.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000

"The horse-collar tackle is an American football tackle in which a defender grabs the back inside of an opponent's shoulder pads and yanks the ball-carrier downwards, a technique which has been used for decades."

From wikipedia. The rule (and nothing I've read anywhere) mentions anything about hair.

but that rule does not require the grabbing of an opponents shoulder pads anymore, if you grab his jersey, by that area, its illegal as well.

Wrong. When the horse-collar rule was enacted, you had to drag them down by the INSIDES of the shoulder pads. Now that rule applies to the INSIDES of the jersey as well. You can still pull on the oustide of the jersey to pull them backwards...or in any other way as well.

i never said he pulled the outside, i was referring to the AREA where the jersey is OPEN.

and horsecollar tackles refer to the DOWNWARD motion, thus the tackle was DOWNWARD on the hair, not backwards, and thus illegal.

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005

Wrong. When the horse-collar rule was enacted, you had to drag them down by the INSIDES of the shoulder pads. Now that rule applies to the INSIDES of the jersey as well. You can still pull on the oustide of the jersey to pull them backwards...or in any other way as well.

i never said he pulled the outside, i was referring to the AREA where the jersey is OPEN.

and horsecollar tackles refer to the DOWNWARD motion, thus the tackle was DOWNWARD on the hair, not backwards, and thus illegal.

It has nothing to do with downward...you can grab somebody's shoulders and yank them downward and backwards and it's legal. You CANNOT however grab the INSIDE of the shoulder-pads or (since this year) get your hand INSIDE of the jersey to pull them down either. It has nothing to do with downward motion.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000

It has nothing to do with downward...you can grab somebody's shoulders and yank them downward and backwards and it's legal. You CANNOT however grab the INSIDE of the shoulder-pads or (since this year) get your hand INSIDE of the jersey to pull them down either. It has nothing to do with downward motion.

it was illegal, thats all, to bad he didnt get hurt, then i woulda been happy.

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005
it was illegal, thats all, to bad he didnt get hurt, then i woulda been happy.

But it wasn't illegal. Notice they didn't call a horse-collar...but an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

i think you're wrong.

i think i watched the NOLA game today where the announcers SPECIFICALLY talked about the jersey grabbing.

wtf is nola? just say saints or something... it's either no or saints.

anyways, the rule is that you can't grab the jersey or horsecollar and immediately pull the player down. i'm pretty sure (as it was explained on the fox nfl postgame show) that if you grab the jersey and THEN grab the horsecollar it's legal because you're not pulling down immediately.

You don't know what NOLA is? Ban.

nycxandy

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
It wasn't called for horsecollar'ing. If it was, it would've been an unnecessary roughness penalty, not unsportsmanlike conduct.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: nycxandy
It wasn't called for horsecollar'ing. If it was, it would've been an unnecessary roughness penalty, not unsportsmanlike conduct.

well then, someone shoulda told me that to begin with.

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005

And that's what I'm sort of wondering...sportscenter said it was a penalty for grabbing his hair, but I didn't see a flag thrown until later and was wondering if he was still pulling on it AFTER he went out of bounds...which should be a penalty.

Mar 11, 2004

Maybe you should've read the thread?

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: darkswordsman17

i did, and no where did anyone tell me it was NOT called for horsecollar, i did not know the unsportsmanlike/unneccessary differing.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Damnit why couldn't have polamalu scored?!?!? He's on my FF team!

/offtopic post

Mar 11, 2004

i did, and no where did anyone tell me it was NOT called for horsecollar, i did not know the unsportsmanlike/unneccessary differing.

Really?

The announcers in-game originally said for the hair pull, but a play later said the penatly was for taunting (unsportsmanlike) and that the hair pull was not a penalty.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000

Really?

The announcers in-game originally said for the hair pull, but a play later said the penatly was for taunting (unsportsmanlike) and that the hair pull was not a penalty.

Owned. :laugh:

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: chuckywang
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=261015023

He ran down Troy Polamalu on a 49-yard interception return in the third quarter by grabbing the All-Pro safety by his long hair. Johnson whipped Polamalu to the ground out of bounds along the Chiefs' sideline, drawing a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and touching off a brief skirmish.

"The dude had hair, what was I going to do?" said Johnson, whose neck was injured last week by Arizona defensive back Antrel Rolle's horsecollar tackle. "That was the only thing I could get my hands on."

The NFL declared that the hair is part of the jersey and is legal to grab on and make a tackle. Why was this a penalty? Not sure if it was because he was out of bounds, but from what I've read and seen on ESPN it drew a flag because he tackled him by the hair.

He got the penalty for pulling him up by the hair, which you cannot do.

Yes you can.

What I meant was he got the penalty for pulling him up by the hair AFTER the play was over.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=261015023

He ran down Troy Polamalu on a 49-yard interception return in the third quarter by grabbing the All-Pro safety by his long hair. Johnson whipped Polamalu to the ground out of bounds along the Chiefs' sideline, drawing a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and touching off a brief skirmish.

"The dude had hair, what was I going to do?" said Johnson, whose neck was injured last week by Arizona defensive back Antrel Rolle's horsecollar tackle. "That was the only thing I could get my hands on."

The NFL declared that the hair is part of the jersey and is legal to grab on and make a tackle. Why was this a penalty? Not sure if it was because he was out of bounds, but from what I've read and seen on ESPN it drew a flag because he tackled him by the hair.

He got the penalty for pulling him up by the hair, which you cannot do.

Yes you can.

What I meant was he got the penalty for pulling him up by the hair AFTER the play was over.
If that was the call, then it was a bad call.

And, I don't understand the whole horse collar rule. It got enacted because one person got hurt during such a tackle even though people have been doing it for decades.

So, if you're running behind a ball carrier you must either be close enough to grab their waist or lunge at their feet hoping to catch a foot and bring them down. What a pussifacation of the NFL.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

Really?

:laugh: Not to mention the OP which has been quoted 50232 times in this thread..

Blanconino > MIKEMIKE

/thread

Actually it should've been over at the 3rd reply with Chuckywang's post..

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: KLin

Really?

Owned. :laugh:

okay, skipped over that part.