Backyard burger and wiener roasts targeted by EPA

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Your mommy government, and the EPA are way ahead of you on this. Starting about 20 years ago, they have banned, or restricted there use in many places.

True, here in Denver, anyway. We're not supposed to burn the fireplace on high pollution days in the winter. If it's the primary source of heat, you're exempt. A high compliance rate is voluntary, I think. I never even heard of anybody getting their tit in the wringer over it.

Or not. Maybe they'll send a swat team if they see smoke coming out of my chimney at the wrong time, blow me away in a hail of lead if I don't drop the poker fast enough, huh?

Back in the early 70's, Denver's air was often downright poisonous because we get inversion layers. The combination of measures taken since then means the air is rarely bad at all.

Thank you, evil freedom crushing nanny state.

bamx2

Oct 25, 2004
My neighbors' recreational fire pits and fireplaces smoke me out. It irks me to no end that I have to close my windows or have my house smelling like smoke. No reason for this stuff in heavily populated area unless the fires are used for cooking or there is truly need for heat (eg power outage in cold weather).

I'd rather ban fireplaces.

Last edited:

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
True, here in Denver, anyway. We're not supposed to burn the fireplace on high pollution days in the winter. If it's the primary source of heat, you're exempt. A high compliance rate is voluntary, I think. I never even heard of anybody getting their tit in the wringer over it.

Or not. Maybe they'll send a swat team if they see smoke coming out of my chimney at the wrong time, blow me away in a hail of lead if I don't drop the poker fast enough, huh?

Back in the early 70's, Denver's air was often downright poisonous because we get inversion layers. The combination of measures taken since then means the air is rarely bad at all.

Thank you, evil freedom crushing nanny state.

I am *ALLOWED* to water my lawn on, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. If I am caught, or a neighbor reports me, watering on any other day, I can be fined as much as $2500, and/or 1 year in jail, (first offense). My sprinklers also have to have an annual inspection by a *certified* inspector. He reports pass, or fail to the city, and if I fail the test, and don't repair it in 10 days, they will turn off my water.

Last edited:

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
They should target gas powered leaf blowers. It boggles the mind that they are still allowed. Especially considering that the people operating them are breathing toxic exhaust fumes all day, and OSHA is doing nothing. It seems like they couldn't care less about those workers, because they are mainly poor Hispanics. If white office workers had to sit and breathe 2 stroke exhaust all day, that would be banned in under a day.

Boggles your mind lol. What do you propose as the alternative? A rake?

For all of the hispanic landscapers out there, there are also plenty of white property owners like myself that do not use a landscaping service and work with two stroke equipment.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I need a new rage
One that won't make me nervous
Wondering who to hate
One that makes me feel like I feel when I'm irate
When I'm alone with me

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I am *ALLOWED* to water my lawn on, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. If I am caught, or a neighbor reports me, watering on any other day, I can be fined as much as $2500, and/or 1 year in jail, (first offense).

Your fucking lawn is not the center of the universe. Try getting over yourself once in awhile if only for a change of pace.

Here in Denver, we have watering restrictions off & on depending on the year & the snowpack in the mountains. That's so we'll be sure to have enough for other purposes, like drinking & bathing.

Or maybe we should just let the Libertopian numbnuts do whatever they want until we run out.

Freedumb is always the answer, right?

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
I think dealing with personal barbacues is stupid. However, lawn mowers are really inefficient and could use some pollution control measures. Many a time I have walked behind one and breathed in all that shitty exhaust.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I think dealing with personal barbacues is stupid. However, lawn mowers are really inefficient and could use some pollution control measures. Many a time I have walked behind one and breathed in all that shitty exhaust.
Hmm, maybe a ride-on mower that blows the clippings straight into the fire box of the tow-behind mobile BBQ pit! :awe: