Backyard burger and wiener roasts targeted by EPA

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Sounds to me like somebody has way to much time on their hands....
This is what happens when the sheeple keep voting the same people into office!!

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/backyard-burger-and-wiener-roasts-targeted-by-epa/article/2561474

The Environmental Protection Agency has its eyes on pollution from backyard barbecues.

The agency announced that it is funding a University of California project to limit emissions resulting in grease drippings with a special tray to catch them and a "catalytic" filtration system.

The $15,000 project has the "potential for global application," said the school.

The school said that the technology they will study with the EPA grant is intended to reduce air pollution and cut the health hazards to BBQ "pit masters" from propane-fueled cookers.

Charged with keeping America's air, water and soil clean, the EPA has been increasingly looking at homeowners, especially their use of pollution emitting tools like lawn mowers.

The school is proposing two fixes to reduce emissions from barbecues. First, they want to cut back on grease flare-ups. The idea: "A slotted and corrugated tray is inserted immediately prior to meat flipping, and removed immediately after. This short contact time prevents the tray from over-heating and volatilizing the collected grease. This collected grease will then drip off into a collection tray and can be used at the pit master's discretion."

But, total capture isn't "practical," so a filter and fan are proposed for installation. "The secondary air filtration system is composed of a single pipe duct system which contains a specialized metal filter, a metal fan blade, a drive shaft, and an accompanying power system with either a motorized or manual method. This system can be powered by either an exterior electric motor with a chain-driven drive shaft, directly spinning the fan blade, or a hand-powered crank," said the project write-up.

The grant is part of the EPA's "National Student Design Competition for Sustainability Focusing on People, Prosperity and the Planet (2014)."

The EPA also said that it does not regulate backyard barbecues. Research conducted by the University of California Riverside is part of the People, Prosperity and the Planet (P3) program, which is a student design competition for sustainability.

The expected results, according to the proposal:

"We expect to limit the overall air pollution PM [particulate matter] emissions from barbecuing and to alleviate some of the acute health hazards that a barbecue pit master can experience from inhalation. The particulate matter present during cooking with and without the grease diverter and PM2.5 filters will be tested and compared to that of current data using a conventional propane barbecue using a fumehood chamber with detectors at CE-CERT. Personal exposure of PM2.5 will also be monitored throughout the experimentation period to determine the degree of acute exposure of particulates to the cook."

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
How dare gub'mint spend $15,000 on research to make barbeques less harmful.

Next thing you know gub'mint is going to limit how much FreedomMercury™ can be released by coal plants, all in the name of nannystate overreach.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
I am going to be firing up my smoker this weekend, probably be puffing smoke for ten hours or so.

You should place your meats fat side up and I always place my choice cuts so that grease drips onto meat below. Drippings from the bottom rack will burn up on the wood chips or heat source and contributes to the overall flavor anyway. Sounds like they want to limit drippings and potential flare ups.

And he who operates the smoker all day keeps the ribtips for himself, can't wait.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I am going to be firing up my smoker this weekend, probably be puffing smoke for ten hours or so.

You should place your meats fat side up and I always place my choice cuts so that grease drips onto meat below. Drippings from the bottom rack will burn up on the wood chips or heat source and contributes to the overall flavor anyway. Sounds like they want to limit drippings and potential flare ups.

And he who operates the smoker all day keeps the ribtips for himself, can't wait.

What smoker/ grills do you have? I'm looking for a new one as it happens

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
What smoker/ grills do you have? I'm looking for a new one as it happens

I have a Weber smoky mountain that I like a lot. Easy to control temps and simple to use.

Don't really have an issue with this story. It's a small grant for a student research project.

Obviously a system of chain driven fans is never going to go primetime, but if they come up with something clever and simple that keeps grease vapors of your face, Rock on

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The Clean Air Act could use an overhaul. EPA is looking for ways to reduce pollution from BBQs, not a bad endeavor in itself. Meanwhile agricultural burning is exempt from the Clean Air Act.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
"charged with keeping america's air, water and soil clean, the epa has been increasingly looking at homeowners, especially their use of pollution emitting tools like lawn mowers."

"the grant is part of the epa's "national student design competition for sustainability focusing on people, prosperity and the planet (2014)."

I will now solve all your EPA, OSHA, & labor problems

Pass all the regulations you want on one condition, ANY product or service sold in the United States has to be produced under those regulations regardless of the country of origin,

no more moving your production/service to some foreign country where you can treat employees like serfs/slaves, dispose of hazardous waste wherever you want without regard to the environment, have hazardous conditions at work not fit for a dog, etc., etc,

Now I am sure costs will go up that is why it is up to you Liberal types to show the world that you will be more than happy to reach in your pocket and pay more because you believe in worker rights, clean environment, and everyone paying their fair share,

because those conservative types with their brain disorder, profit first for me mentality, are incapable of leading such a noble endeavor.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Too lazy to read the article???

Are you too lazy to add more than two "sentences" about the article?

I read the article and I don't see what the issue is. If you are too lazy to respond to comments in your own thread then why bother creating the thread in the first place?

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
If a rack redesign is all that is needed to reduce pollution, then what's the problem here?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
If a rack redesign is all that is needed to reduce pollution, then what's the problem here?

I'm sure they'd love to sell you a new BBQ with an air filter for an additional $1,000. Then they'll outlaw the old "dirty" ones that cost less.

It doesn't stop there. They're telling you how to BBQ by suggesting additional actions such as pulling a catch tray in and out during flipping. Maybe we'll have to clean the BBQ after every meal. Don't want to risk any "particles" getting out or heaven forbid... burning up.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm sure they'd love to sell you a new BBQ with an air filter for an additional $1,000. Then they'll outlaw the old "dirty" ones that cost less.

It doesn't stop there. They're telling you how to BBQ by suggesting additional actions such as pulling a catch tray in and out during flipping. Maybe we'll have to clean the BBQ after every meal. Don't want to risk any "particles" getting out or heaven forbid... burning up.

So you're just making things up then.

Got it.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
They should target gas powered leaf blowers. It boggles the mind that they are still allowed. Especially considering that the people operating them are breathing toxic exhaust fumes all day, and OSHA is doing nothing. It seems like they couldn't care less about those workers, because they are mainly poor Hispanics. If white office workers had to sit and breathe 2 stroke exhaust all day, that would be banned in under a day.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Are you trying to convince us that you're delusional or convince others to be delusional?

For the love of God, you fool- it's a tiny student research grant. If they come up with a good design that a grille manufacturer likes, you'll be able to buy it.

Or not. Do you think they'll be coming for your grille when they come for your guns, or what?

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

It's a tiny student research grant dumdum.

There are no regulations being proposed at all.

You just make yourself look stupid by such nonsensical overreaction.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Are you trying to convince us that you're delusional or convince others to be delusional?

For the love of God, you fool- it's a tiny student research grant. If they come up with a good design that a grille manufacturer likes, you'll be able to buy it.

Or not. Do you think they'll be coming for your grille when they come for your guns, or what?

It's a tiny student research grant dumdum.

There are no regulations being proposed at all.

You just make yourself look stupid by such nonsensical overreaction.

so whats the point of the EPA funding this then?

1) the have too much money
or
2) they are looking at future regulation

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Sounds to me like somebody has way to much time on their hands....
This is what happens when the sheeple keep voting the same people into office!!

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/backyard-burger-and-wiener-roasts-targeted-by-epa/article/2561474

The Environmental Protection Agency has its eyes on pollution from backyard barbecues.

The agency announced that it is funding a University of California project to limit emissions resulting in grease drippings with a special tray to catch them and a "catalytic" filtration system.

The $15,000 project has the "potential for global application," said the school.

The school said that the technology they will study with the EPA grant is intended to reduce air pollution and cut the health hazards to BBQ "pit masters" from propane-fueled cookers.

Charged with keeping America's air, water and soil clean, the EPA has been increasingly looking at homeowners, especially their use of pollution emitting tools like lawn mowers.

The school is proposing two fixes to reduce emissions from barbecues. First, they want to cut back on grease flare-ups. The idea: "A slotted and corrugated tray is inserted immediately prior to meat flipping, and removed immediately after. This short contact time prevents the tray from over-heating and volatilizing the collected grease. This collected grease will then drip off into a collection tray and can be used at the pit master's discretion."

But, total capture isn't "practical," so a filter and fan are proposed for installation. "The secondary air filtration system is composed of a single pipe duct system which contains a specialized metal filter, a metal fan blade, a drive shaft, and an accompanying power system with either a motorized or manual method. This system can be powered by either an exterior electric motor with a chain-driven drive shaft, directly spinning the fan blade, or a hand-powered crank," said the project write-up.

The grant is part of the EPA's "National Student Design Competition for Sustainability Focusing on People, Prosperity and the Planet (2014)."

The EPA also said that it does not regulate backyard barbecues. Research conducted by the University of California Riverside is part of the People, Prosperity and the Planet (P3) program, which is a student design competition for sustainability.

The expected results, according to the proposal:

"We expect to limit the overall air pollution PM [particulate matter] emissions from barbecuing and to alleviate some of the acute health hazards that a barbecue pit master can experience from inhalation. The particulate matter present during cooking with and without the grease diverter and PM2.5 filters will be tested and compared to that of current data using a conventional propane barbecue using a fumehood chamber with detectors at CE-CERT. Personal exposure of PM2.5 will also be monitored throughout the experimentation period to determine the degree of acute exposure of particulates to the cook."

Simple answer: Grill lean meats.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
hmm if they can come up with a grill that is better for the enviorment and still as good as my webber i will buy it.

if it's not as good i won't.