Backup your brain?

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Supposedly your brain functions like a computer; with the advancement of technology nowadays, how soon do you think we'll be able to "backup" our brain, and store it for prosperity?

Let's say sometimes in the future, we can create clones or androids and be able to restore our brain functions to these androids, would you want to continue life as such?

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Well Download-shit-to-your-brain.exe already exists, so it shouldn't be too long before Upload-shit-from-your-brain.exe is compiled as well.

Oct 25, 2006
Do we really want people to back up their brains?

I mean, only Rich Idiots would be able to afford them, and considering their minds live on forever, the world would suck after a couple hundred years. And, if we introduce the concept of recording a mind, we also run into the concept of cloning minds...

Scary thought isn't it?

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
Not soon. Not all that soon at all. 2050, 2040 maybe. The best answer you're gonna get is we just don't know.

Be patient or die waiting. Or attempt to do something about it and die trying, which is even better :)

Jun 4, 2005
Thought piracy.

Here we go.

Colleges will be suing because people are copying their knowledge and uploading them for others to download.

EDIT: And as for when, I say "never". I don't believe it'll be possible to create an interface for it, nor would anyone ever get approval for testing on humans.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
A long time. 50 years at least, probably more like 100. We not only need to be able to read the data out, and a computer capable of storing all the data, but that computer must also be capable of realtime processing of all the data at a human speed.

It depends on what you want I guess - just plain storage, or become a fully artificial life form. Storage would be simpler, as there'd be no need to calibrate the computer (android?) so that it would function with human sensory and mobility input/output signals.
So I think storage will come sooner by simple virtue of its relative simplicity.

Then what we need is a way of reading the total contents of a human brain into a computer, in a form which can then be transferred back into another living organ. Then the question would be, would the new brain need to be an exact clone of your own brain, or would any "Grade A UL Listed Human Brain" do the trick? If it's going into another body, not a cloned one, then you'd probably need to learn how to walk all over again.

An android existence could be interesting - if technology allows it, we could potentially become a civilization of androids. For those worried about losing sex and orgasms, don't worry, I'm sure they could be simulated within the new artificial brain, complete with intensity and duration adjustments. Want an orgasm 300x stronger than any you've experienced before? Want to spend your entire weekend having one continuous orgasm? Hey, go for it, just don't be late for work on Monday.

And for those worried about system exploits, hey, we've already got exploits now. Nicotine can hijack the brain's normal reward system - the system of various chemicals which gives you that good feeling when you eat or have sex. Nicotine makes your brain feel the same way.
Physical exploits exist - Agent Orange is a pretty effective way of neutralizing a person. A small metal projectile propelled by gunpowder, or a sharp steel blade, will also do the trick. With a robot, exploits may be more easily reversed.

Sure, homo sapien would cease to exist in this future, save in the form of archived DNA. But hey, other species came and went before we developed, and I don't hear anyone crying about that. :)

Originally posted by: LoKe
Thought piracy.

Here we go.

Colleges will be suing because people are copying their knowledge and uploading them for others to download.

EDIT: And as for when, I say "never". I don't believe it'll be possible to create an interface for it, nor would anyone ever get approval for testing on humans.
Then there wouldn't be any need for colleges, would there? If you can just go online and download a college education in a few minutes, there wouldn't be much need for the B&M buildings now, would there? :) Instead of dorms you'd have a few data centers. Final exams could be administered in the form of a checksum test, to verify that the data was loaded in properly.

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Jeff7
must also be capable of realtime processing of all the data at a human speed.
Doesn't have to be at human speed, could just as well be at calculator speed. It would take a hell of a lot of real-world time to perceive the equal amount, but the result would be the same. Of course it's to be expected that the processing rate will be much higher, so potentially a year's worth of experiences in a single day.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
No way...I don't want someone pouring over all the fucked up shit I've experienced/seen during the 40 years I've been alive. Hell, there's stuff in there that I don't even want to remember. :(

Flyback

Golden Member
Sep 20, 2006
What would the purpose of backing it up be used for when you say "prosperity" (posterity?:D) ? To sell your first-person memoirs?

Jun 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Flyback
What would the purpose of backing it up be used for when you say "prosperity" (posterity?:D) ? To sell your first-person memoirs?

Sell your experiences, sell your knowledge?

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
My brain is filled with cobwebs and bong resin.

Having read some of your posts I'd have to agree. :laugh::p

Some of my posts are glorious, while others will go down in history like the Titanic.

Aug 25, 2004
I wouldn't mind having a device that copied short term memory. Every night, the device would backup my events from the day. Think of all the uses. For example, at the end of the semester, I could access the backups and look at any lecture I attended during the semester. Or, if I had an argument with the gf about what I said or she said a year ago, I could look it up on a computer.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
The real question is would it end up being like.
A: "I know kung-fu!"
or
B: "Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.:

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
My brain is filled with cobwebs and bong resin.
Well yours will be easy to transfer out. It'd just take a wet/dry Shopvac, and possibly a pressure washer.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: George P Burdell
I wouldn't mind having a device that copied short term memory. Every night, the device would backup my events from the day. Think of all the uses. For example, at the end of the semester, I could access the backups and look at any lecture I attended during the semester. Or, if I had an argument with the gf about what I said or she said a year ago, I could look it up on a computer.

me: SEE, BITCH!
her: LOOK AT THE NEXT LINE BITCH!
me: ah fudge...no fvkign way I said that....no fvkign way...

"hello, drive cleaners?"