Backup like program but for file list / folder structure only?

essential

Aug 28, 2004
I don't know if something like this exists, but I'm looking for a program that acts like backup software (runs on a schedule) and can monitor either entire drives or select folders, but instead of backing up the data, simply creates a folder list / file structure of the drives/folders to an excel/text document.

I've done a lot of searching and I've seen file list programs but it's all manual, and one folder at a time.

Basically, something happened within the last few weeks where the contents of one of my download folders was deleted. I have that folder set to be the download directory for several programs. I'm assuming it was caused by one of the programs, but after running recovery software only a few things were recovered. Nothing in the folder was important, and I can probably get most of it again, but the issue is I don't even know everything that was in the folder.

I'm hoping if I find software like I described it would monitor certain folders and backup it's contents to a file every night so if something like this happened in the future at least I'd know what was in the folder.

Thanks.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
SyncToy! It's great. Free. From Microsoft. You might have to manually flick on older .NET versions under windows programs and features in the old add/remove programs to get it to install on Windows 10.

essential

Aug 28, 2004
I did a few searches on SyncToy, it looks like file synchronization software. Is there a "list" only option I missed?