backup image of new machine 13 discs? HD?

Discussion in 'SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs' started by marcplante, Dec 4, 2012.

1. marcplante

marcplante Senior member

I wanted to make backup media of my computer's image and the media burning utility wants 13 discs. Is there any way to go into the file management system pull an image off and put it on another hard drive? (Network backup)?

Thanks,

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - backup image machine Forum Date
    Factory image for Dell laptop borked... SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Apr 25, 2015
    I need a new backup laptop (with a non-chiclet keyboard!) SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs May 18, 2014
    Is a Netbook good enough for photo viewing and backup? SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Dec 22, 2009
    Hp vs Dell Laptop and Desktops - Backup OS on DVD? SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Oct 28, 2008
    I sold my laptop with no backup plan! SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Mar 6, 2008

3. dave_the_nerd

You could use a third-party image utility to do that. Boot from CD, image to network drive. EaseUS will let you create a boot CD.

The boot CD has to have a driver for your ethernet card. That's the only hard part.

But then you're basically all set.

4. stevech

stevech Senior member

Geesh, most everyone images to a spare drive or an external USB or eSATA drive. Not a good idea to use DVDs.

Acronis is what I've used for years.

Better yet, get a cheap drive and CLONE your disk. That way, all you do is boot the spare disk. Conversely, Imaging is a PITA to recover.

5. kleinkinstein

kleinkinstein Senior member

Yes, agreed, simply clone your hdd/partition. I use Macrium, it's free and I'm cheap.

6. lakedude

lakedude Golden Member

What version of Windows do you have? One of the big differences between Home Premium and Pro is that Pro has native ability to back up to a network drive.

If you don't have Pro I hear good things about Acronis.