Backlight wont work on battery after spill...

stevens

Aug 11, 2001
I've almost completely fixed my t42 after a a fairly major spill. Everything works except the dvd/cdrw drive and the lcd backlight on battery.

The dvd/cdrw in the device manager says that the driver is corrupt, but every time I install a new driver it just says the same thing. The drive is a Matshita UJDA765. Does anyone know were I can get the latest driver? Im using XP and I always though cd drivers were built into XP so im confused as to why the device manager is telling me there are driver issues.

The biggest issue though is the fact that the lcd backlight will not work on battery power. The backlight works just fine when on AC power, but when I disconnect the laptop from the AC power source the backlight automatically turns off. I know the lcd is still on bc i can still barely see the picture, but even when i try to adjust the brightness the backlight still stays off. When I plug the laptop back into AC power the backlight does not come back on until I FN F3 and turn the lcd off and then turn it back on. Does anyone have any ideas as to why my computer is doing this and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks
Steven

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
Optical drives never require a driver when used in any Windows os from 95 up. Support that allows this drive to read a data or music disk is included with the os.

so maybe its some other problem other than the drivers

insename2

Dec 15, 2005
try removing any battery specific settings (i.e. automatic underclock when using battery)

stevens

Aug 11, 2001
After a reformat and reinstall of the OS, the dvd/cdrw drive works, but the backlight still will not turn on when the laptop is running off battery power.

I've disabled every power profile I can think of, including speedstep and all the power profiles in the bios, and it still wont turn on under battery power.

Anyone have any more ideas?

edit: I also flashed to the lastest bios and that didnt work either.

insename2

Dec 15, 2005
hmm rather odd issue... there shouldnt be much difference between plugging it in or not as the power adaptor will change the currentt from ac to cd before it reaches ur lappy, the only difference i can think of between using batt and plugged in is the voltage assuming that your laptop dims the backlight when operating in batt mode...

dajeepster

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2001
First of all... what did you spill?
Did you spill liquid on the laptop or did you spill the laptop on the floor? please be more specific.
Just trying to get more details before I put in my $0.02.