Backlight bleeding Acer XB270HU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Color uniformity on these is just total garbage, at least the two samples I have had. This one is better than the last, but the left side has a brown tint to it. I have to forget about this and ignore it because its driving me completely nuts. Don't expect a uniform display with these things. Just don't do it. Buy it for viewing angles and gaming performance. That's it.

Why settle?

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Why settle?

Because I don't believe it will be any better with another one. I have 30 days I think. If microcenter gets some in their store, I will visit and inspect them if they are on display. If they have no tinting issues, I will return mine I suppose. What's pathetic is that my TN screen has better uniformity.

sakete

Apr 22, 2015
For the price you're paying for this monitor, I would absolutely not settle for a mediocre screen. For the same price you can get a mid-line Eizo screen with 95% Adobe RGB color gamut and a very high quality panel with great color and brightness uniformity. Those are very good screens, just not for gaming.

I'm hopeful the soon to be released Asus MG279Q will fare better.

Xed

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2003
For the price you're paying for this monitor, I would absolutely not settle for a mediocre screen. For the same price you can get a mid-line Eizo screen with 95% Adobe RGB color gamut and a very high quality panel with great color and brightness uniformity. Those are very good screens, just not for gaming.

Pretty sure it's the same panel just minus g-sync. And it's already been recalled for frame skipping. But here's to hoping.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011

Damn, a nice high performance, G-sync Eizo would be so awesome. I'd pay $1,200.00 for it. I don't like my panel's uniformity, but to be fair, its not easily noticed while watching a movie or playing a game. Its only noticeable ALL THE REST of the time.

sakete

Apr 22, 2015
Pretty sure it's the same panel just minus g-sync. And it's already been recalled for frame skipping. But here's to hoping.

Perhaps, but I wouldn't bet on it. And even if it's the same panel, that doesn't mean anything. A lot of the time Eizo and NEC will also use the same panels in their high end displays, just that they cherry pick the best ones out of the production lines, and the rest goes to the other manufacturers.

And besides the panel there are lot of other factors that will influence how in the end you as the end user will see the screen. The production process of the monitor plays a very big role as does how it's being driven by the electronics.

I've never viewed Acer as a high quality brend, more of a budget low-end brand. Asus I view as a more mid to high-end brand. So *hopefully* they'll manage to build a better quality monitor.

Xed

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2003
Perhaps, but I wouldn't bet on it. And even if it's the same panel, that doesn't mean anything. A lot of the time Eizo and NEC will also use the same panels in their high end displays, just that they cherry pick the best ones out of the production lines, and the rest goes to the other manufacturers.

And besides the panel there are lot of other factors that will influence how in the end you as the end user will see the screen. The production process of the monitor plays a very big role as does how it's being driven by the electronics.

I've never viewed Acer as a high quality brend, more of a budget low-end brand. Asus I view as a more mid to high-end brand. So *hopefully* they'll manage to build a better quality monitor.

My faith is Asus is down quite a bit with the Swift fiasco (even tho I managed to luck into a decent one). The fact that their upcoming one was also released with a major issue that should have been caught by any semblance of QA and since recalled does not give me any hope.

I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Yep, same panel. http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2426845

sakete

Apr 22, 2015
My faith is Asus is down quite a bit with the Swift fiasco (even tho I managed to luck into a decent one). The fact that their upcoming one was also released with a major issue that should have been caught by any semblance of QA and since recalled does not give me any hope.

I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Yep, same panel. http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2426845

I'll wait for the TFT Central review for final confirmation on whether it's the same panel or not. And yeah, I do agree that Asus having issues right after launch is concerning. Hopefully just a fluke.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I'll wait for the TFT Central review for final confirmation on whether it's the same panel or not. And yeah, I do agree that Asus having issues right after launch is concerning. Hopefully just a fluke.

Even if the panel is good, I can't bring myself to be interested in freesync. It only works from like 40-90fps or something, which is not attractive IMO. I see it as a second rate, budget version of Gsync.

sakete

Apr 22, 2015
Even if the panel is good, I can't bring myself to be interested in freesync. It only works from like 40-90fps or something, which is not attractive IMO. I see it as a second rate, budget version of Gsync.

I'm mostly interested in the 144 hz and the connectivity options. Might even end up using it with an nvidia gpu. I see the adaptive sync just as a bonus. First and foremost is panel quality. If the reviews are good, I'm getting one. If not I'll probably just get a normal 60hz 1440p ips display (I definitely don't want TN) and deal with its drawbacks while gaming (I also do a ton of other stuff besides gaming such as photo processing)

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009

Freesync isn't 40Hz-90Hz. Freesync covers 9Hz-240Hz. A much broader range than current monitor technology is capable of supporting. This particular monitor is limited 40Hz-90Hz. Just like the problems with the Swift were not nVidia's, the same with this monitor. AMD doesn't make nor market the monitor.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Freesync isn't 40Hz-90Hz. Freesync covers 9Hz-240Hz. A much broader range than current monitor technology is capable of supporting. This particular monitor is limited 40Hz-90Hz. Just like the problems with the Swift were not nVidia's, the same with this monitor. AMD doesn't make nor market the monitor.

Interesting. That still sucks though.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Interesting. That still sucks though.

What I find interesting is where the blame is placed depending on the companies. Asus vs nVidia? It's Asus' fault. Asus vs. AMD? It's AMD's fault for offering an inferior budget product.

I believe that you actually think this and you are not trolling. So, again, marketing fails big time for AMD. Gsync is perceived as superior and Freesync is perceived as an inferior budget product.

The teething pains and delay of Gsync or monitors that use it are never chalked up as issues with Gsync or it's quality. Unless an AMD product or feature they support releases first and is flawless, it's just cheap budget crap though. AMD really needs to pay attention to attitudes like this and work to correct these perceptions, or they have no chance for success. No company could being held to a standard of being responsible for every little thing, including other companies products, their QC, release times, coordinating color of the base and bezel, and anything else. It's like Murphy's law is AMD's responsibility. :D

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
What I find interesting is where the blame is placed depending on the companies. Asus vs nVidia? It's Asus' fault. Asus vs. AMD? It's AMD's fault for offering an inferior budget product.

I believe that you actually think this and you are not trolling. So, again, marketing fails big time for AMD. Gsync is perceived as superior and Freesync is perceived as an inferior budget product.

The teething pains and delay of Gsync or monitors that use it are never chalked up as issues with Gsync or it's quality. Unless an AMD product or feature they support releases first and is flawless, it's just cheap budget crap though. AMD really needs to pay attention to attitudes like this and work to correct these perceptions, or they have no chance for success. No company could being held to a standard of being responsible for every little thing, including other companies products, their QC, release times, coordinating color of the base and bezel, and anything else. It's like Murphy's law is AMD's responsibility. :D

You're right. I actually did think that. I had no idea freesync had that kind of range. Maybe I'm just a noob, but I'm a noob with money to spend on these products and its not my responsibility to research all of this. All I see is what the product can do. You pointed this out though and you rightly mentioned that AMD is not as good at perceived value it might seem.
I was frustrated with Nvidia for lacking in the Vram department, but they locked in my purchase somehow, yet again. This time they did it with a Gsync monitor. I perceive Gsync to be better because it became available first and it works with SLI where freesync doesn't work with crossfire. I see freesync as an inferior technology and AMD products as generally a few steps behind the competition. I don't try to think that way, believe me I don't care. That's just what pops into my head. It happens like this.

"Its time to upgrade my rig again. That monitor is the best around, so 980ti SLI it must be"

And that's it. Just that simple.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
You're right. I actually did think that. I had no idea freesync had that kind of range. Maybe I'm just a noob, but I'm a noob with money to spend on these products and its not my responsibility to research all of this. All I see is what the product can do. You pointed this out though and you rightly mentioned that AMD is not as good at perceived value it might seem.
I was frustrated with Nvidia for lacking in the Vram department, but they locked in my purchase somehow, yet again. This time they did it with a Gsync monitor. I perceive Gsync to be better because it became available first and it works with SLI where freesync doesn't work with crossfire. I see freesync as an inferior technology and AMD products as generally a few steps behind the competition. I don't try to think that way, believe me I don't care. That's just what pops into my head. It happens like this.

"Its time to upgrade my rig again. That monitor is the best around, so 980ti SLI it must be"

And that's it. Just that simple.

Like I said, I believe that's your honest perception and I'm blaming AMD for not better representing themselves.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
Wtf they increased the price to $1100 on newegg for this monitor, is it because they increased quality control over them and are now dispatching better quality monitors?

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
Wtf they increased the price to $1100 on newegg for this monitor, is it because they increased quality control over them and are now dispatching better quality monitors?

3rd party seller trying to make some money.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011

They started charging $25 per dead pixel.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I'm glad I avoided 120/144 monitors this time around. The extra cost isn't worth it, especially if they have more issues than 60Hz displays.

TN at that cost is bad enough, but the IPS implementations appear to be even worse.

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

....Great so if I wanted to get it replaced i would have to wait probably a VERY long time.

LethalPcTech

Aug 11, 2015
....Great so if I wanted to get it replaced i would have to wait probably a VERY long time.

I have just had 2 acer xb270hu for my rig and both of them had terrible bleeds all around in the corners (especially the bottom right)! I am going to get a refund and go for the rog swift and check that out and I'll see for myself how it is, compared to the famous/infamous acer xb270hu!

I'm very disappointed in acer, for having so many faulty monitors! For 800$ you should get a very good screen with no errors.

I'm eager to see if I'll spot a huge difference between the two monitors and I will post my feedback back on here when i have received training rog swift and tested it!

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
That's the price of gsync. For the same price you can get 30-40" IPS freesync 4k displays lol.