Background Information Questionnaire...??

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
I'm not going to mention the company name or anything, but I work for a fulfillment/printing/direct-mail company... We recently have been nearing completion of a contract with a financial company who would like us to take call-center calls for seminar event reservation setup... No big deal right? Most of the work has been setting up screen-pops for our net-phone system, purchasing new toll-free numbers, and training the call-center people to take these reservation request calls... Fun stuff!

So today, my boss handed me a questionnaire that I'm supposedly supposed to fill out. The thing is, I need to offer up private information and my signature, and it's not even from my company, it's from the company that we're contracting for...

It asks for all my name, address and such info, my current and previous employer, and here is what the questionnaire looks like...

1. Are you now or have you ever been employed in an investment-related position?

2. Have you ever been convicted of or plead guilty or nolo contendere to a felony?

3. Have you ever been convicted of or plead guilty or nolo contendere to a misdemeanor involving investments or an investment related business or any fraud, false statements, bribery, perjury or conspiracy to commit any such offense?

4. Has the securities and exchange commission futures trading Commission, other Federal, or state or foreign financial regulatory authority ever:
a. found you to have made a false statement or omission?
b. found you to have been involved in a violation of its regulations or statues
c. Found you to have been cause of an investment-related business having its authorization to do business denied, suspended, revoked or restricted?
d. Entered an order against you for an investment-related activity?
e. Imposed a civil money penalty on you, or ordered you to cease any investment-related activity?

5. Have you been subject to any final order of state securities commission, state authority that supervises banks, savings associations, credit unions, state insurance commission, federal banking agency or National Credit Union Administration, or any agency or office performing similar functions) ever:
a. Barred you from association with an entity regulated by such commission, agency or office?
b. Found you to have violated any laws or regulations that prohibit fraudulent, manipulative or deceptive conduct?

6. Has any self-regulatory organization (e.g. NASD) or commodities exchange ever:
a. Found you to have made a false statement or omission?
b. Found you to have been involved involved in a violation of its rules, other than a violation designated as a "minor rule violation"?
c. Found you to have been a cause of an investment-related business having its authorization to do business denied, suspended, revoked or restricted?
d. Disciplined you by expelling or suspending you from membership, barring your association with its members, or restricting your activities?

I affirm that my answers are true and complete to the best of my knowledge.

Signed____________________ Date________

Confidential and proprietary information of XXXXXXX XXXXX, Inc. Completed forms may not be used, copied or distributed by any unauthorized person.

This company, the one with the x'ed out name at the bottom, is the company we're going to be taking calls for, not my employer. Am I required to sign anything from them???

WTH, I've never had to sign a contract with a company I didn't work for.

Help me, internet lawyers! :p

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Do you want to keep your job?

I've had to fill out a similar form for one of our customers in order to be allowed to access their network.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: mugs
Do you want to keep your job?

Sign it and you keep your job.

don't and you don't. You're not required to sign anything. They're not required to give you a job either. Two way street.

LS21

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
you dont have to sign it
so you cant be sent to work there

you also dont have to have a job at your plac eeither

i signed a pretty extensive one for putting in just 3 days at exxon.. criminal background, mothers maiden name, credit history.. incredible the amount of sht they require

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Thanks guys... I signed it.

Now I am DOOOOMED. And by doomed, I mean I get to keep my job, according to my boss. :p

RedCOMET

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by: manowar821
Thanks guys... I signed it.

Now I am DOOOOMED. And by doomed, I mean I get to keep my job, according to my boss. :p

I guess this is were we say "all your bases are belong to us!!!" On another note, it took almost a month for my background check to go through before i started work at a company. first real job out of college and it took a month, booo...

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: drinkmorejava
Originally posted by: daveshel
That's probably unlawful, but do you want to have to go to court to keep your job?

See Wikipedia.

Uhh, At-will is exactly why they can get rid of him if he doesn't sign

Read further - most states have statutes abrogating the doctrine.

drinkmorejava

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: drinkmorejava
That's probably unlawful, but do you want to have to go to court to keep your job?

See Wikipedia.

Uhh, At-will is exactly why they can get rid of him if he doesn't sign

Read further - most states have statutes abrogating the doctrine.

Abrogate is definitely not the word you want to use. The states have not thrown out, or otherwise gotten rid of it. From wikipedia 38 states have implied contract exceptions, problem is, his company works as a contractor, his employment contract is definitely going to state that he must abide by all of their customer?s regulations. Second, while 43 states have public policy exceptions, they would primarily focus of matters similar to being fired after filing for compensation or refusing to do something illegal. Simply, by not signing the contract he is incapable of doing his job. Might his employer be an ass for firing him, and hurting the company if manowar is an otherwise good employee, yes, but it?s definitely within his power to do so.