Back when Beetles first came on the scene, were there music elitists who hated them?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
MOST of you are listening to the "Beetles" from the wrong perspective due to your history. (they were old music before you were born)

I'm an old bastard and remember VERY well when they first his the USA. (their music...much before their first tour)
OMFG! No one had heard anything like it before. it was on the cutting edge of rock & roll. Consider that before the Beatles, musicians like Buddy Holly and Bill Haley were the big influences on Rock music...

Yes, they were more or less the "Good Boys" to the Rolling Stone's "Bad Boy" image, although their early music was relatively similar...simplistic according to some here, but much different than what we were used to.
During Beatles concerts, it was nearly impossible to hear the actual music because of all the screaming (and swooning) girl fans...It was fucking ridiculous. Even "A Hard Day's Night" and "Help" were so "screamed over" by girls in the audience that you couldn't hear the actual dialog during most of the movies. Every time one of the Beatles was shown, "EEEEEEEEE" went the deafening screaming.
As they matured and Rock & Roll changed, (and drugs became more prevelant) the Beatles music changed. They went through something of a psychedelic period, (Rubber Soul through Sgt. Pepper and Yellow Submarine) then back to more rock-type music.
Their style was never "headbanger" or heavy/hard rock, just good music.

Of course, I look back on much of it as the music of my childhood and teen years, so I have a MUCH different perspective.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: BoomerD
MOST of you are listening to the "Beetles" from the wrong perspective due to your history. (they were old music before you were born)

I'm an old bastard and remember VERY well when they first his the USA. (their music...much before their first tour)
OMFG! No one had heard anything like it before. it was on the cutting edge of rock & roll. Consider that before the Beatles, musicians like Buddy Holly and Bill Haley were the big influences on Rock music...

Yes, they were more or less the "Good Boys" to the Rolling Stone's "Bad Boy" image, although their early music was relatively similar...simplistic according to some here, but much different than what we were used to.
During Beatles concerts, it was nearly impossible to hear the actual music because of all the screaming (and swooning) girl fans...It was fucking ridiculous. Even "A Hard Day's Night" and "Help" were so "screamed over" by girls in the audience that you couldn't hear the actual dialog during most of the movies. Every time one of the Beatles was shown, "EEEEEEEEE" went the deafening screaming.
As they matured and Rock & Roll changed, (and drugs became more prevelant) the Beatles music changed. They went through something of a psychedelic period, (Rubber Soul through Sgt. Pepper and Yellow Submarine) then back to more rock-type music.

Of course, I look back on much of it as the music of my childhood and teen years, so I have a MUCH different perspective.

This post = win

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
I wonder what music today would be like had Beatles had never existed. For better or for worse, I think it is safe to say that it would be way different.

LS21

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
Originally posted by: Poulsonator
Also, if you think their early "musicality was 100% simplistic", please, show me a video of you accurately replicating their sounds and harmonies. I'd love to see it.

wow, your argument is a semantical one based on wiki definition?

you want to see me replicating their sound and harmony. great point there. nobody sane will argue their early music wasnt simplistic. do you even LISTEN to their music? its all simply doo woop i love you you love me bs. they ARE pop as pop can be.

obviously, like i said, and boomerd expounded on, their music evolved heavily... especially with the drugs.

youre just being dense for the sake of being dense

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Only Michael Jackson and the Beatles have at least 1 song that everyone loves. That is why they are musical gods. Though Michael Jackson should have died young...

Mahaguru

Jul 20, 2007
I watched the Beatles documentary on VH1. One question I have is, why was the documentary trying to portray that before the Beatles, American music scene was so innocent? Rock and/or Roll (ok that's that a Simpsons joke) was already popular, and wasn't Elvis already pushing the limits?

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Cdubneeddeal
Originally posted by: Rockinacoustic
I honestly think their one of the most overrated bands ever. (though I'm FAR from old enough to know the craze they first created).

Because you don't have a vagina. Beatles were the NKOTB of their days..

The Beatles wrote songs and played instruments. Did NKOTB ever do either of those?

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteven
Originally posted by: Cdubneeddeal
Originally posted by: Rockinacoustic
I honestly think their one of the most overrated bands ever. (though I'm FAR from old enough to know the craze they first created).

Because you don't have a vagina. Beatles were the NKOTB of their days..

The Beatles wrote songs and played instruments. Did NKOTB ever do either of those?

:thumbsup: Ringo is a GREAT drummer, Paul is a gifted musician, but particularly his Bass playing. Lennon/McCartney are one of the best songwriters duos of all time. George Harrison was no slouch on the guitar either ;) I could go on and on, but a couple thoughtfull posts in this thread trump all the nonsense posts. <LOL> NKOTB <LOLOL>

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Ns1
Originally posted by: BoomerD

This post = win

^

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: LS21
Originally posted by: Poulsonator
The Beatles weren't a boy band. Not even remotely close.

During the early phase the beatles were 100% boy band. the musicality is 100% simplistic. the lyrics are simply lovey dovey stuff.

later on of course they transformed into something else altogether.. but a big part of their music is just plain pop

it wasn't until Bob Dylan got them on the hash that they learned how to be musicians. ;)