Announcement Back in the hospital !

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Not sure for how long. This is related to my conduit problems( going from the kidney to the outside bag). Once my INR drops enough, then it will be good for discharge. But my production may suffer in WCG Rosetta or folding. I will update this thread as things get updated.

• Wow
Reactions: TennesseeTony

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Hope you get better soon Mark!
Don't worry about drops in production, I'm imagining that you have some remote access from hospital though? ;)

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Hang in there, Mark. You seem to have done well with health issues over the last several years. I imagine it will be more of the same for you.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, back and doing OK< not great. I came home friday morning, then back to ER a few hours later. Back home at 3 am today, and just barely making it.

But two machines that were Rosetta boxes had no work, so now I have 256 more threads for WCG.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Get better soon and take care of yourself!

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
OK, back and doing OK< not great. I came home friday morning, then back to ER a few hours later. Back home at 3 am today, and just barely making it.

But two machines that were Rosetta boxes had no work, so now I have 256 more threads for WCG.
Don't think too much about your production. Maybe even shut them all down, to have a free mind so you can focus on getting better? Your health is far more valuable than a few million points in some DC project. Take care of yourself and get well soon :) We'd like to have you here for a much longer time :) Again, all the best for you!!!

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Don't think too much about your production. Maybe even shut them all down, to have a free mind so you can focus on getting better? Your health is far more valuable than a few million points in some DC project. Take care of yourself and get well soon :) We'd like to have you here for a much longer time :) Again, all the best for you!!!
Only one thing... My medical issues are all cancer related, and all my DC work is cancer related.

I now have 2 bags for my 2 kidneys, and the new one is now almost always empty. The new one is a tube coming out of my back, and it still hurts like hell. And nausea all the time, can't eat, and pain, including headaches. God, I don't wish this on anybody, and I don't actually have cancer anymore (that I Know of), these are all symptoms of the "cure".

• Wow
Reactions: Assimilator1

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
Only one thing... My medical issues are all cancer related, and all my DC work is cancer related.
I know, and it actually was reading your posts that made me join the TeAm and focus almost exclusively on medical projects. Still, my point is, even if you ramp down production while focussing on getting better, you may have a lot more time left afterwards to run these projects than if you were to put yourself under too much stress and pressure to keep all these systems up and running and can't really recuperate as if your mind were free of additional stress. That's all. So, I hope you'll feel better soon :)

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I know, and it actually was reading your posts that made me join the TeAm and focus almost exclusively on medical projects. Still, my point is, even if you ramp down production while focussing on getting better, you may have a lot more time left afterwards to run these projects than if you were to put yourself under too much stress and pressure to keep all these systems up and running and can't really recuperate as if your mind were free of additional stress. That's all. So, I hope you'll feel better soon :)
Ahh !!! Most all my systems run linux, and I set them up, let them run and forget them. I have one box (the one I am typing on) that monitors all my BOINC boxes, so I don't have to check diddly, just the one screen. Most all the boxes run 24/7/365 for years without a reboot.

Linux and EPYC is the way to go.

I currently have 781 threads running WCG on 14 computers, 4 are off to save heat/power with 288 more threads available.

Last edited:

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
Ahh !!! Most all my systems run linux, and I set them up, let them run and forget them. I have one box (the one I am typing on) that monitors all my BOINC boxes, so I don't have to check diddly, just the one screen. Most all the boxes run 24/7/365 for years without a reboot.

Linux and EPYC is the way to go.

I currently have 781 threads running WCG on 14 computers, 4 are off to save heat/power with 288 more threads available.
Yeah, that's basically what I do too, just on a much smaller scale ;)

In my case, it would read Debian Linux and Xeon is the way to go, but that's just semantics. I'd generalize it as: Linux and server euqipment is the way to go.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Wish you all the best and quick healing, Mark.
The problem is that due to all the people non vaccinated the hospitals are full, so no elective surgery. Fixing my conduit is considered elective, since I won't die with the second bag coming out, although it was designed as a temporary stopgap until the full surgery could be done. I don't understand why people can't get vaccinated, when its free, and available at the corner drugstore !

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Marky, please turn up the subs to 12!

And ask that your favorite family, friends, and even connect to your close online friends.

You being heathy adds to heath and with connections!

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Sorry to hear your surgery's going to be delayed :(, hopefully for not too long!

I'm currently self isolating as I tested positive for Covid19 on Tuesday :(, I only have mild symptoms so far (and doesn't seem to be getting worse), intermittent coughing, occasionally lightheaded, sneezing and runny nose. I'm type 1 diabetic, so I can only imagine how much worse it could have been without being double jabbed!
And if anyone wondered why I've been around more recently, now you know ;)

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Sorry to hear your surgery's going to be delayed :(, hopefully for not too long!

I'm currently self isolating as I tested positive for Covid19 on Tuesday :(, I only have mild symptoms so far (and doesn't seem to be getting worse), intermittent coughing, occasionally lightheaded, sneezing and runny nose. I'm type 1 diabetic, so I can only imagine how much worse it could have been without being double jabbed!
And if anyone wondered why I've been around more recently, now you know ;)
Were you vaccinated ? sounds like it with the easy time you had.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Marky, please turn up the subs to 12!

And ask that your favorite family, friends, and even connect to your close online friends.

You being heathy adds to heath and with connections!
I tried, but remember, I am almost deaf, and can not listen to music anymore, its all just noise. I loved that song years past though.....

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
Best wishes to you @Markfw . Your situation with the surgery is something that concerns me as well - I have wondered what if I have a non covid health emergency and can't get in because the hospitals are full. Hopefully they can schedule your surgery soon.

Are you still feeling relatively well @Assimilator1 ?