Babysitting While Black..

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
I had this happen to me many years ago, and without police just a year ago. Fortunately, as here, it was just questioning. In this case I think it's worth pointing out that he wasn't just reported because he black. He was reported because he was a black male. We foster a society that enforces that Men alone with children means abuse or worse. The fact he was black just made it easier to identify that he probably wasn't their parent. Put those two factors together and in today's Mom's that's an obvious recipe for child kidnapping and assault.

Reactions: imported_tajmahal

Cozarkian

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
I had this happen to me many years ago, and without police just a year ago. Fortunately, as here, it was just questioning. In this case I think it's worth pointing out that he wasn't just reported because he black. He was reported because he was a black male. We foster a society that enforces that Men alone with children means abuse or worse. The fact he was black just made it easier to identify that he probably wasn't their parent. Put those two factors together and in today's Mom's that's an obvious recipe for child kidnapping and assault.

I agree being male was a factor, but this is still less likely to happen to a white male babysitting black kids.

Reactions: Aegeon

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I agree being male was a factor, but this is still less likely to happen to a white male babysitting black kids.

Right, because like he said, the onlooker would assume he was the kids' dad. The fact that he was black is relevant here because it makes it unlikely for him to be the dad.

From what I've seen and who I've hired in the past, 95% of babysitters are 1) female, 2) aged 13-16. That last factor - age - is another trait which doesn't fit the usual profile.

If you wanted to isolate race here as the cause, you need to compare this 20 something black man with what the reaction would be to a 14 year black girl.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018

Really? I'm black, and both of my daughters have blond hair and blue eyes. I adopted them after my wife passed away. I saw this story and I'm rather sad to admit that my very first thought was "thank God my girls are grown now."

Cozarkian

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
Right, because like he said, the onlooker would assume he was the kids' dad. The fact that he was black is relevant here because it makes it unlikely for him to be the dad.

From what I've seen and who I've hired in the past, 95% of babysitters are 1) female, 2) aged 13-16. That last factor - age - is another trait which doesn't fit the usual profile.

If you wanted to isolate race here as the cause, you need to compare this 20 something black man with what the reaction would be to a 14 year black girl.

Note I said white male babysitting black kids - my hypo swapped the race of the kids too, so that the onlooker would have just as much reason to believe that the white male was not the kid's father.

Cozarkian

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
Really? I'm black, and both of my daughters have blond hair and blue eyes. I adopted them after my wife passed away. I saw this story and I'm rather sad to admit that my very first thought was "thank God my girls are grown now."

Yeah, I just went to an adoption party for a white kid whose prior foster family was black. It's bad enough being a foster, can you imagine if your foster or adoptive parents were frequently pulled over and questioned about being your real parents? That would flat out suck.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
So someone called because they thought they saw something suspicious, the PD checked it out and everyone went their separate ways? The horror! Now let's watch the lefties here create victims out of this...

Cozarkian

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
So someone called because they thought they saw something suspicious, the PD checked it out and everyone went their separate ways? The horror! Now let's watch the lefties here create victims out of this...

No, someone called and reported what non-biased people would consider non-suspicious behavior as suspicious, the PD questioned the individual without sufficient facts to form a reasonable suspicion, and then everyone went their separate way after an undue inconvenience to the babysitter and a waste of public resources investigating non suspicious activity.

Reactions: Feneant2 and Aegeon

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018

Whatever happened to minding your own business? At some point, half this country turned in the Gladys Kravitz from Bewitched.

I find it most telling, that the cops won't release the name of the nosy Nellie that called. Probably because they don't want to see her sued into oblivion.

Reactions: Feneant2

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I don't agree with minding others business.

But

Lets suppose that the children were kidnapped and someone saw it and blew it off even though they thought it was strange.
Then it comes out that the children were kidnapped. Would you blame them for not calling in that case?

I'm more in the line of better safe than sorry. A minor inconvenience is better than two dead or injured children no matter what color they are.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I know you don't have a problem with black people being on the short end of most of these, "calling police for existing". Maybe try reading this thread you may have a change of heart.

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...pose-harassment.2545608/page-12#post-39609131

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
We've heard one side of a story spun to make liberal hearts bleed... you have only heard one side of the story and this is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Is this a real problem in America? Black baby sitters are being visited by the police regularly if they are watching white kids? You lemming wusses fall right in order without even a hint of thought, right to social media to be offended.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
We've heard one side of a story spun to make liberal hearts bleed... you have only heard one side of the story and this is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Is this a real problem in America? Black baby sitters are being visited by the police regularly if they are watching white kids? You lemming wusses fall right in order without even a hint of thought, right to social media to be offended.
I guess you don't understand so follow the bouncing ball. Babysitting isn't the issue, its black people being harassed just for living. This story does not exist in a vacuum.

I don't think I can rewrite in a lower grade level for you to understand.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I guess you don't understand so follow the bouncing ball. Babysitting isn't the issue, its black people being harassed just for living. This story does not exist in a vacuum.

I don't think I can rewrite in a lower grade level for you to understand.

The cops didn't stop him out of the blue, someone called them thinking they were seeing something they weren't. The police probably almost HAVE to investigate for this kind of situation. It isn't like this guy was driving by and the cops pulled him over and dragged him out of the car.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The cops didn't stop him out of the blue, someone called them thinking they were seeing something they weren't. The police probably almost HAVE to investigate for this kind of situation. It isn't like this guy was driving by and the cops pulled him over and dragged him out of the car.
I'm not putting the blame on the police in this instance. If you check out the "existing while black" thread police response is varied. In many cases police apologize. The inherent racism in this country assigns a level of guilt just because one of the actors is black.

In other cases even when the black person shows justification for being where they are it isn't enough for police further delegitimizing their existence.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Whatever happened to minding your own business? At some point, half this country turned in the Gladys Kravitz from Bewitched.

I find it most telling, that the cops won't release the name of the nosy Nellie that called. Probably because they don't want to see her sued into oblivion.

Sued? What for exactly? You want people to be afraid to call the police if they think they see a kidnapping? Fucking brilliant.

You know what the difference between you and I or this guy and me is? It is this, if I was babysitting a couple of younger girls for a friend and the cops stopped me in public to check out the situation because someone called and thought something wash't right, once everything was cleared I'd have a good laugh with the cops, thank them for doing their job, and tell them that it was ok that someone called, I'd rather be inconvenienced for a few minutes while we sort things out than have a child kidnapped / forced into human trafficking. You and this guy run to social media to be outraged and be victims. You look for any angle to blame the white man and be a victim. This is the mentality that has been drilled into you by the left.

Reactions: pcgeek11

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Why was it suspicious?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I don't agree with minding others business.

But

Lets suppose that the children were kidnapped and someone saw it and blew it off even though they thought it was strange.
Then it comes out that the children were kidnapped. Would you blame them for not calling in that case?

I'm more in the line of better safe than sorry. A minor inconvenience is better than two dead or injured children no matter what color they are.

What about this might have led any reasonable person to believe that the children might have been kidnapped?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Sued? What for exactly? You want people to be afraid to call the police if they think they see a kidnapping? Fucking brilliant.

You know what the difference between you and I or this guy and me is? It is this, if I was babysitting a couple of younger girls for a friend and the cops stopped me in public to check out the situation because someone called and thought something wash't right, once everything was cleared I'd have a good laugh with the cops, thank them for doing their job, and tell them that it was ok that someone called, I'd rather be inconvenienced for a few minutes while we sort things out than have a child kidnapped / forced into human trafficking. You and this guy run to social media to be outraged and be victims. You look for any angle to blame the white man and be a victim. This is the mentality that has been drilled into you by the left.
No, this is because you're a bootlicker who doesn't question authority. And also because you've probably never been stopped without cause.

Last edited: