Baby Kittens Lost Their Mommy...Help

elitejp

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2010
I have 4 4week old kittens who mom has gone missing. She wasnt looking too good a few days prior and finally one day she just didnt come back. We are currently using diluted lambs milk to feed them with a syringe as they dont even know how to lap up milk. So anything else we can do to help guarantee that they can remain healthy?

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Check with your local animal shelters and see if they could help.

They may have access to a mother cat who could help out if she accepts them and nurse them or they could give you the best formula to feed them.

elitejp

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2010
man i wish we had one but im overseas and we just dont have anything like that. But calling a vet is a good idea and maybe they know of something to do. I appreciate it.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I have 4 4week old kittens who mom has gone missing. She wasnt looking too good a few days prior and finally one day she just didnt come back. We are currently using diluted lambs milk to feed them with a syringe as they dont even know how to lap up milk. So anything else we can do to help guarantee that they can remain healthy?

If you can't get support from a local shelter or vet, keep it up with milk from turkey basters/eyedroppers/whatever. Once the eyes have been open for a week or three start prodding them with kitten food, they may upchuck it a few times before it takes with their stomach but they'll be fine before long.

Kittens are pretty simple/resilient, as long as they keep getting milk they'll be fine.

Oh, and shove that dropper in their mouth every hour or two, they will eat *a lot*. They need food more than you need sleep for the next week or so.

elitejp

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2010
Great info. I only fed them twice yesterday because I was concerned that their stomachs may not handle it. Today we fed them 3 times but will start feeding more often now. Especially now that it seems that they are handling the new milk ok and because of the recommendation to feed every hour or so. By the looks of it they should be fine although they sure seem to mis their mommy.