Baby Formula industry lobbies against...mommy industry?

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
The formula industry is IMO worse than the tobacco and alcohol lobbies combined

Dr. Sanders said that some members of the academy were concerned that the advertisements could make mothers who chose not to breastfeed feel guilty if their child later developed leukemia or another medical condition. Instead of emphasizing the risks of not breastfeeding, he said, the campaign should emphasize breastfeeding's benefits.

If they are physically capable, and aren't breastfeeding, they should feel guilty. Although lower IQ formula fed babies are providing the next generation of wal-mart employees and shoppers ;)

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: alchemize

Dr. Sanders said that some members of the academy were concerned that the advertisements could make mothers who chose not to breastfeed feel guilty if their child later developed leukemia or another medical condition. Instead of emphasizing the risks of not breastfeeding, he said, the campaign should emphasize breastfeeding's benefits.

If they are physically capable, and aren't breastfeeding, they should feel guilty. Although lower IQ formula fed babies are providing the next generation of wal-mart employees and shoppers ;)

Why?

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Gaard

Why?

If I remember from biology class, babies pick up antibodies from their mother's milk, so breastfeeding is essential for properly developing the immune system. There is also the issue of bonding and mental stimulation. Either way, I don't think the formula industry should be in competition with breastfeeding.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Here in the UK they run massive ad campaigns to encourage women to breast feed. They cite research that shows that women who breast feed are healthier and have a lower risk of developing breast cancer. Also, breastfed children are healthier/at lower risk to certain diseases as opposed to non breast fed infants.

Makes sense to me that human milk would be best for human babies anyway. Not surprised that this is born out by research. The other big plus in the UK is that there is no social stigma attached to breast feeding. I don't think there's anywhere nowadays you couldn't breastfeed (and people do it everywhere).

Cheers,

Andy

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Gaard,

They should feel guilty because they are providing their children with a lower standard of nourishment in a key stage of their life, that they may well pay for the rest of their lives.

Breast milk increases IQ vs formula
Breast milk reduces the rate of diabetes
OK 2 links is enough, trust me on the rest or google them...
It reduces incidents of SIDS dramatically. It reduces inner ear infections. It reduces cavities. It reduces incidence of breast cancer in the mothers.

My wife could list about another 100 scientific studies ;)

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Gaard,

They should feel guilty because they are providing their children with a lower standard of nourishment in a key stage of their life, that they may well pay for the rest of their lives.

It reduces incidents of SIDS dramatically. It reduces inner ear infections. It reduces cavities. It reduces incidence of breast cancer in the mothers.

Get off your high horse and read this and calm down: Breast or bottle - a debate

Condemning attitudes never help anyone, whether it is towards a mom nursing in public place or towards a mom who has made a choice to bottle-feed her baby. There are some sound medical reasons for bottle feeding, like if the baby is lactose intolerant or if mother needs a medication that would be very harmful to the baby. In these rare cases the mother needs support, not condemnation. Many mothers also do try to breastfeed but quit and wean fairly early because of various problems.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Get off your high horse and read this and calm down: Breast or bottle - a debate

Condemning attitudes never help anyone, whether it is towards a mom nursing in public place or towards a mom who has made a choice to bottle-feed her baby. There are some sound medical reasons for bottle feeding, like if the baby is lactose intolerant or if mother needs a medication that would be very harmful to the baby. In these rare cases the mother needs support, not condemnation. Many mothers also do try to breastfeed but quit and wean fairly early because of various problems.

Having read all the links off of that - it still seems that bar any medical reasons (rare) - most mothers should be breastfeeding. Social stigma may have to be overcome, but it's their problem - not the mother's - and it's in the best interest of baby.

Cheers,

Andy

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Sure fence, I think every reasonable person can agree to that. I was addressing the idea of making the mothers feel guilty.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: miguel
Gaard,

So what does help...when a hospital, that is supposed to promote health, gives a new mother a bag of "free samples"? When the formula industry tries to stifle any message about the dangers of formula?

There was no condemnation from me about those RARE instances where a baby cannot consume mother's milk. I condemn those who a) don't bother learning the facts or even worse b) know the facts, and just are too selfish to be more concerned about their child than their own interests. (of course I never condemn them to their face...rather, I give them my wife as a reference to nicely guide them down the path of enlightenment).

miguel

Nov 2, 2001

So what does help...when a hospital, that is supposed to promote health, gives a new mother a bag of "free samples"? When the formula industry tries to stifle any message about the dangers of formula?

There was no condemnation from me about those RARE instances where a baby cannot consume mother's milk. I condemn those who a) don't bother learning the facts or even worse b) know the facts, and just are too selfish to be more concerned about their child than their own interests. (of course I never condemn them to their face...rather, I give them my wife as a reference to nicely guide them down the path of enlightenment).

If a mother is not capable of breastfeeding, the hospital usually does give them free samples of formula to help for the first couple of days, yes. And statements like the "dangers of formula" are just misleading, I think.

I apologize if I misunderstood your condemnation: "They should feel guilty because they are providing their children with a lower standard of nourishment in a key stage of their life, that they may well pay for the rest of their lives." I just wonder how a woman who WANTS to breastfeed, but cannot, is supposed to feel when her only alternative is formula? Is she supposed to feel that formula will make her child stupid and sick? She should be given support, not tales of low-IQ babies. Her baby would have died if not for formula.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

If a mother is not capable of breastfeeding, the hospital usually does give them free samples of formula to help for the first couple of days, yes. And statements like the "dangers of formula" are just misleading, I think.

I apologize if I misunderstood your condemnation: "They should feel guilty because they are providing their children with a lower standard of nourishment in a key stage of their life, that they may well pay for the rest of their lives." I just wonder how a woman who WANTS to breastfeed, but cannot, is supposed to feel when her only alternative is formula? Is she supposed to feel that formula will make her child stupid and sick? She should be given support, not tales of low-IQ babies. Her baby would have died if not for formula.

I imagine she feels terrible. There are truly some women who cannot produce milk. In the "olden-days" there were wet-nurses for those. Modern days we have milk co-ops for those who are willing.

There are truly some children that cannot consume mother's milk. In the "olden-days" they would have died. But somebody invented formula so they could survive! Truly a blessing for a child that would have died. Certainly never intended to become a substitute for normal healthy children.

Maybe BBD can enlighten us on what the percentage of those cases is. I'd bet 10-1 it is less than 2% (probably sub 1%).

You are focusing on the statistical anomolies. Look at the percentages of people who choose the less healthy path Old link but best I could find Notice any correlations??

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Works well enough in the rest of the animal kingdom, I don't see why humans should be exempt from it.

This reminds me of one of George Carlin's specials. He basically makes fun of these women who have kids, but do everything they can to ignore it.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Having read all the links off of that - it still seems that bar any medical reasons (rare) - most mothers should be breastfeeding. Social stigma may have to be overcome, but it's their problem - not the mother's - and it's in the best interest of baby.
Certain drugs, women that return to the bottle (you know that bottle), and women with certain viral diseases (HIV) should not breastfeed. Granted in sub-Saharan Africa are encouraged to BF even if they are HIV+ due to the incredible benefits.

Breastmilk rocks . . . the taste sux. But babies don't know any better so no harm no foul. The worst thing you can do to a child is give them apple juice or some other crappy sugar solution.

Cow milk has a higher protein content but is less nutritious overall compared to human milk. Mother Nature is a bad arse; concentrating various micronutrients to levels up to 10,000x the amount in the mother's bloodstream. Passive immunity from the mother lasts about 6mo . . . if you BF passive immunity (IgA and possibly some IgD) can extend for a year or more.

European formula companies were forced (damn you gotta hate regulation) to produce formulas that more closely approximate human breastmilk over a decade ago. Despite producing a clearly inferior product, American companies advertised their wares throughout the world without any concern for the children (or the mothers). BF suppresses ovulation . . . basically Mother Nature's birth spacing. But formula companies don't care. Formula companies sold powdered formula to women that live in countries without potable water . . . that's downright barbaric.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Strk
Works well enough in the rest of the animal kingdom, I don't see why humans should be exempt from it.

This reminds me of one of George Carlin's specials. He basically makes fun of these women who have kids, but do everything they can to ignore it.
I've never heard that, I have to catch it. Reminds me of a co-worker that spent $15,000 to adopt a russian boy and send him off to daycare. He get's fired. Does he spend his new found home time with his son? Nope...still in daycare,

BBD: Breastmilk doesn't taste that bad, if you aren't drinking it out a glass or anything ;)

P.O.W.

Feb 8, 2000
Sure fence, I think every reasonable person can agree to that. I was addressing the idea of making the mothers feel guilty.

The only problem with that is whether the baby is bottle fed or breast fed affects the baby more than the mother. The baby can't do much about it.