Baby Boomer Suicide Rates Up Sharply

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
It's part of the process of our nation's transforming into a third world country--our economic policies (Global Labor Arbitrage, give all the money to the rich, retarded health care system) just cannot sustain having a solid, secure middle class.

I don't blame people if they want to commit suicide for economic reasons when they no longer have any enjoyment in life. For some people, that's a better option than working low wage jobs and living in a life of poverty; it's like a reverse Atlas Shrugged where the poor no longer want to work to support the rich, so they "go on strike" by committing suicide.

Wow, what an interesting and insightful comment. No generation in this country has been better slaves than the Baby Boomers. It's unfortunate that our leadership is selling them out in the end. The Boomers should be evidence to the rest of us of what government does even to those who follow orders without question.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
More widowed cougars on the market.

wMYQmgt.png

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It probably has something to do with an entire generation realizing that their entitlement fucked over their children and grandkids.

More likely they are killing themselves because their progeny turned out to be such worthless assholes like you.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Reading this article and all the comments made me cry.

It made me think of my father.

He is 65 now and took an early retirement from GM in order to try and start his own software development company. It did well and he was happy until the tech bubble burst...

GM slashed benefits for retirees and it has been a struggle since. He's been out of the workforce for so long, and now he is frequently sad and depressed. He lives with my mom and they don't have many friends... He's been out of the work force nearly 15 years now and it would be hard for him to find a job even though he's a brilliant programmer.

Last week, he wanted to eat ice cream (which he hasn't done in many years since he has adult onset diabetes). My mom wouldn't let him because of the diabetes, and he yelled at her, "I have nothing to live for anymore, no job, no income, so why can't I just enjoy ice cream before I die?"

I'm tearing up again thinking about it... I want to help him because I know that a huge measure of his self-worth is having some sort of income. Feeling productive, feeling like he contributes to society/his family, and feeling like he is "good for something." I love him as my daddy no matter what, but that just doesn't seem like it is enough for him.

I don't know what to do or how to help him. Sometimes I fear the worst... I hope he never gives up. If anyone has any suggestions, I welcome them. Feel free to PM if you'd like.

So, he had a retirement, and yet he has no income? Huh? Is his diabetes from being obese? If so, it is hard to pity a person that causes their own ailments...

He doesn't have friends.. why not?

It seems to me that his unhappiness is caused not by the economy, but by his own poor choices.

Young people have it MUCH, MUCH harder than he ever had/will have...

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
So, he had a retirement, and yet he has no income? Huh? Is his diabetes from being obese? If so, it is hard to pity a person that causes their own ailments...

He doesn't have friends.. why not?

It seems to me that his unhappiness is caused not by the economy, but by his own poor choices.

Young people have it MUCH, MUCH harder than he ever had/will have...

Ya know not everyone can be super successful. The economy quite frankly sucks. I don't like the "blame the person" attitude. Alot of it is just luck AND hardwork but luck matters more.

He explained it in the post. Slashed benefits, and out of the game in terms of programming and can't compete with the 30-40yr olds.

Last edited:

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Ya know not everyone can be super successful. The economy quite frankly sucks. I don't like the "blame the person" attitude. Alot of it is just luck AND hardwork but luck matters more.

He explained it in the post. Slashed benefits, and out of the game in terms of programming and can't compete with the 30-40yr olds.

Shhhh,

If you blame the individual then that means it can't happen to you. Nope. No way can your job suddenly become obsolete, promises that were made to you broken, markets that you are selling your goods/services in collapse, an ensuing downward spiral that leaves you overeating and living with your mother.

I mean, Mrs.Bugi's father was only a programmer that was so succesful he was able to retire at 40, then start a successful business. Clearly the guy has absolutely no initiative or drive and is the type to just feel sorry for himself.