• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question B550 + Ryzen 5600G question

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Google isn't helping me here, AMD announced the 5600G will be available in a few months. I want to build a new PC around September, but don't want to wait for GPU prices to drop, and I'm not spending like $250 on an low level 1030 or something. So a 5600G's probably the only reasonable solution for now. My question is if a MB say it supports Ryzen 5000, does that include the 5600G/5700G? Or would you need to wait for a bios update?

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I figured as much but I wanted to ask, I haven't bought a board yet. Might wait until the cpu's are out and I can talk to someone who has the board I'm eyeing. I want an Asrock and of course, they're the one maker who doesn't have a way to flash the BIOS without a CPU lol.

Shmee

Memory and Storage, Graphics Cards
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I figured as much but I wanted to ask, I haven't bought a board yet. Might wait until the cpu's are out and I can talk to someone who has the board I'm eyeing. I want an Asrock and of course, they're the one maker who doesn't have a way to flash the BIOS without a CPU lol.
From what I recall, some of their recent models do offer a flashback like option. I think the X570 Taichi did, it was one I was looking at. Obviously something to check on different models.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
From what I recall, some of their recent models do offer a flashback like option. I think the X570 Taichi did, it was one I was looking at. Obviously something to check on different models.
Well that's good to know, Asrock doesn't exactly make finding information like this easy at all. Unfortunately, the one ITX x570 board they have doesn't have Flashback. I'm beginning to think I should maybe look elsewhere, but I stupidly ordered a case with Phantom Gaming branding on it. So with my OCD I'm not sure I put an ROG or Aorus MB in it hehe.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
i have a b450 msi mobo and when i was buying the parts i read that the x570s cant run the 3000s apus i dont know if the same thing apply on the b550s and 5000s cpus, i have a question how do you know that there will be a 5600g apu?
Everything I've read only B550 don't work with the 2400/3400g, they can work with the 5000's but need a BIOS update. X570 just need a BIOS update. The problem for me I like the Asrock b550 Phantom better than the X570. AMD announced a few weeks ago the 5600g & 5700g's will be out in August, this is a retail launch, not OEM. Since there are no new chipsets anytime soon that means they'll work with either the B550, X570 or both, I guess I'll have to wait and see what MB's will support it. I'm assuming BIOS will be needed and who knows which MB's will get quick updates.

Steltek

Platinum Member
Mar 29, 2001
I didn't know this existed, thank you, now I can stick with Asrock and not worry about the CPU maybe needing a new BIOS.
The links below describe the AMD loan process for Ryzen 3000 and 5000 series CPUs, respectively.

You basically have to complete a web link and send AMD pictures of your CPU and motherboard clearly showing the model and serial numbers of both, along with a copy of the purchase invoice. When you fill out the web page, make sure to explicitly follow the instructions.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
The links below describe the AMD loan process for Ryzen 3000 and 5000 series CPUs, respectively.

You basically have to complete a web link and send AMD pictures of your CPU and motherboard clearly showing the model and serial numbers of both, along with a copy of the purchase invoice. When you fill out the web page, make sure to explicitly follow the instructions.

Seems pretty painless but I hate waiting lol, I just checked and Microcenter will flash your BIOS for $30. I found a list of supported CPU's on ASrocks website and the board supports the 5600g/5700g with a BIOS from Feb of this year. Pretty sure I won't get a board with that recent of a BIOS but strangers things have happened. MC only charging $30's cheap, I know it only takes a minute to do, but I was expecting they'd charge at least $75. And that way I won't have to wait on the AMD thing, but that is really really cool for people who need a CPU and have no option.

Reactions: Steltek

ASK THE COMMUNITY