B450 motherboard and no need to update bios to run Ryzen 3400G

matheusber

Jun 12, 2001
Hi,

I just had my 3400G running on Gigabyte B450 motherboard. I thought I should give it a try, even though I knew the odds for a new bios version was bad. And there I was surprised. The version that begins support fro the 3000 Ryzen family is the F40 one, and my board was able to get to bios even though I had F30 version.

When I saw that, I got it updated as soon as I could, but that never left my mind. Has anyone else had the same experience?

My guess was on the Zen+ arch, as it is not new. Does it make sense?

matheus

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
When I saw that, I got it updated as soon as I could, but that never left my mind. Has anyone else had the same experience?

When I bought my Asus A320M-K + Athlon 200GE, there wasn't official support for it on that board. Which also had arrived with a rather archaic BIOS which barely had support for Raven Ridge. (First release AGESA or something)

I considered ordering a bootkit from AMD, since I was reluctant to tear one of my other builds apart for a mere BIOS update. But I thought "what the heck, I'll give it a go". To my surprise it POST'ed just fine despite an unsupported (and perhaps even unknown) CPU, and I was able to flash the BIOS to the latest version with no issues. Of course, I'm not sure it would have handled a Windows/Linux install, but a successful POST is fine with me.

Of course everyone's milage may vary. I suspect this varies by manufacturer too.