AZIO Retro Typewriter Keyboard. Anyone have this?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I've been cutting my soda consumption in half this week and will do so for now on to pay for this keyboard. I will order this next week.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I got one today. This is my first typing test. The key printing is a little strange, and the keys are kind of close together. So far, I can't say I like it better than my model M as far as function goes, but it definitely beats it for looks.

edit:
I think this could be a real problem for touch typists. If it works for you, it's a fast compact keyboard, but it has a unique feel, and I don't mean that in a good way necessarily. The keys are very close, and will probably require adjusting your typing style. They also don't give good tactile feedback for key edges. There's little noticeable edge like there is on typical keyboards.

I paid $110 at microcenter, and the jury's still out whether or not I feel it was worth it due to the above issue. It does feel like a quality keyboard, and it looks great(though I'd like to be able to change the led color). I don't feel as though I was ripped off, but it might not have been the best use of my money.

Last edited:

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I got one today. This is my first typing test. The key printing is a little strange, and the keys are kind of close together. So far, I can't say I like it better than my model M as far as function goes, but it definitely beats it for looks.

edit:
I think this could be a real problem for touch typists. If it works for you, it's a fast compact keyboard, but it has a unique feel, and I don't mean that in a good way necessarily. The keys are very close, and will probably require adjusting your typing style. They also don't give good tactile feedback for key edges. There's little noticeable edge like there is on typical keyboards.

I paid $110 at microcenter, and the jury's still out whether or not I feel it was worth it due to the above issue. It does feel like a quality keyboard, and it looks great(though I'd like to be able to change the led color). I don't feel as though I was ripped off, but it might not have been the best use of my money.
Did you get the AZIO or the Nanoxia?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Well over the next few days let us know more please. When/if I get one I'll post a review.
I think this is a highly individual keyboard, and the experience will vary person to person. In general, to me, a keyboard is a keyboard. They have mostly the same layout, and I have my preferences, but a dell, an hp, a generic whatever, and a model M all give me roughly the same experience, and a familiar feel. This keyboard breaks from that with the round keys, close spacing, and fairly 'smooth' edges. My limited use so far as a non-typist has me fat fingering keys, and double checking to make sure I'm hitting the correct key. In the right hands, I think a good typist could really fly, but it depends on the person.

Aside from build quality(which seems to be great), I'm not sure a review is that helpful in deciding how appropriate it is for any particular person. It's so different from the mainstream, that the experience will be highly variable person to person.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I was wondering about the build quality as I don't want to buy a junk keyboard. As for the experience, I'm well aware that it will vary from person to person.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'm like the numpad for typing. I do better on that than the normal keyboard.

A quick pic of my Model M and the AZIO together...

f10848c4ac.jpg

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Final word...

Based purely on function, I prefer my Model M. Bonus is it cost me ~$2 at the thrift shop. I do prefer the number pad on the AZIO, which works especially well for me navigating around spreadsheets. That's something I do a lot. Build quality's first rate, but of course it hasn't gotten a longevity test. It's hard to recommend it or not. It's a nice keyboard, but as I noted above, it's sufficiently different from the standard, that opinions will be polarized regarding it's functionality. So... If you have a spare $100, give it a try. Otherwise, I'd scour thrift shops for a Model M. Those are the best deals to be had.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Thanks lxskiir, since the build quality is first rate and I want something different I'll go ahead and get the board.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Well guys I just got the keyboard and it is very different experience typing on it then other keyboards I've had such as the SolidTek 6600C I'm replacing. Very comfortable to type on. I'll post more latter as I use.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Well I have some more stuff to post about my new keyboard:

I did the nickle test, the keys used 10 nickles to press which is like 50 grams. This is lighter then my previous SolidTek 6600C board and much more comfortable to use.

When laying flat the Retro is a bit higher then normal almost forcing me to type properly with my hands in the air instead of having my wrist resting on my desk as I type.

Has Cherry Blue clone switches. I really like these switches. And the noise doesn't bother me at all.

The extra function keys do work in Linux, but I had to remap a few of them.

So far this seems to be worth the price I paid and it is well built with no flexing.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
No backlight :( I just realized. I can't really justify the price. I feel my AZIO MGK-1 was overpriced at $80.
Maybe they'll release other retro models with more features. They've definitely hit an unexploited niche.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
No backlight :( I just realized. I can't really justify the price. I feel my AZIO MGK-1 was overpriced at $80.
Maybe they'll release other retro models with more features. They've definitely hit an unexploited niche.
I was thinking of getting the MGK-1, but decided to get the retro instead. What color switches are you using?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I suspected bo key backlighting when I saw those circular keytops.

When this review is complete, I plan to sticky it.

Reactions: whm1974

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I suspected bo key backlighting when I saw those circular keytops.

When this review is complete, I plan to sticky it.
Thank you for doing that. I think AZIO is planning on releasing a version of the Retro with backlighting later this year.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Finally found this thread hiding up top. Stickity stick.

I was thinking of getting the MGK-1, but decided to get the retro instead. What color switches are you using?
Kailh Browns. My first mechanical board. Feels like a $20 Dell keyboard, if you ask me.
I do enjoy the white backlight. Classy.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Finally found this thread hiding up top. Stickity stick.

Kailh Browns. My first mechanical board. Feels like a $20 Dell keyboard, if you ask me.
I do enjoy the white backlight. Classy.
I'm being to think everyone's first mechanical keyboard should use Blue switches and then go from there. You could install O-Rings as a lot of Brown and Red users find some improvement in doing so.