AZ Governor's call to repeal same-sex partner benefits hurting tourism?

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
http://www.azcentral.com/news/polit...ver-same-sex-benefits-flap.html#ixzz20K77eXEI

Gov. Jan Brewer's latest fight for states' rights may impact Arizona's tourism economy, some say, pitting state officials against gay and lesbian tourists who pour millions of dollars into state coffers.

The push back came in the wake of Tuesday's resignation of a member of the Arizona Tourism Advisory Council. Edwin Leslie, a Brewer appointee, stepped down over Brewer's decision to ask the U.S. Supreme Court to eliminate health-care benefits for state employees' same-sex partners.

A lower court had declared the state law cutting the service unconstitutional. Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne asked the high court to weigh in, saying eliminating the benefits "furthers the state's interest in promoting marriage."

The state has 230 active state and university employees and three retirees who receive same-sex domestic medical coverage, according to figures from the state Department of Administration. Currently, they cost the state $1.8 million yearly for their claims and dependents' claims.

In a two-page letter to the governor, Leslie, who lives in Phoenix with his partner and their son and owns a hospitality-management company, said Brewer's actions are "in direct conflict with your reiteration that all Americans are entitled to the same 'inalienable rights.'"

Leslie suggested Brewer is jeopardizing tourism efforts and urged her to "act responsibly" in favor of the economy. Leslie wrote it was his responsibility as a board member to "remind you that your actions are contrary to those needed to ensure the success of the tourism industry in Arizona."

"Your actions discriminate against one part of the state's residents to appease a small fraction of the population," he wrote. "Arizona residents by and large are supportive of LGBT equality."

Michael McFall is the publisher of "Arizona Pride Guide," a tourism guide read by more than 380,000 coast to coast. According to his figures, Arizona is the seventh-most-popular destination among gay tourists in the U.S. and third among gay international travelers. Nationally, those tourists spend more than $80 billion a year, and in Arizona, they bring in about $122 million, he said.

McFall said about 30 percent of the people who relocate to Arizona are gay. His figures are gleaned from marketing companies and company research.

"We're seeing states like New York and Hawaii that are saying, 'We think you should have equal rights,' and we hear from states like ours -- and our governor, saying, 'No, you shouldn't have equal rights,'" he said. "This community supports people and states that support them."

McFall said states welcoming to gays and lesbians are seeing green. After same-sex civil unions became law in Hawaii, he said, state officials saw a $50 million-plus tourism impact over three years.

Matthew Benson, a Brewer spokesman, said that Brewer appreciates Leslie's service but that his resignation is regrettable. He said the governor views this as a states' rights issue.

"And it's even more regrettable that he has opted to politicize that decision in this manner," Benson said. "The governor doesn't believe in ceding to a federal court the authority of Arizona's duly elected officials (to make budget decisions)."

The court case centers on whether the state can eliminate health coverage for same-sex domestic partners of state and university employees. The Legislature passed a measure in 2009 to do just that. Impacted employees sued the state, alleging discrimination.

The U.S. District Court in Arizona and the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals have said the state must continue providing benefits to the partners of gay and lesbian workers. State officials now want the U.S. Supreme Court to review the lower courts' decisions.

Some members of the gay community said the decision to petition the high court underscores the small-mindedness of some state officials. They pointed out that local cities are working hard to pitch the area as chic and tolerant.

Ben Bethel, owner and manager of central Phoenix's Clarendon Hotel, said state officials have pounded "one more nail in the state's tourism coffin."

"It's pretty insane," he said. "But to me, it was just one more thing to make me roll my eyes and go, 'I'm not surprised that something like this comes along from our crazy state government.' You should be loving and open and welcoming to people from all backgrounds and walks of life, and that's what tourism is. And we keep shutting out people to go to the state of Arizona."

Phoenix Councilman Tom Simplot, who is openly gay, said city and convention officials over the past eight years have tried to strengthen his city's gay-tourism plan, partly by reaching out to mainstream and gay publications. "Politics aside, this is business," Simplot said.

I don't know how much this will actually affect tourism, but for the sake of making Brewer and the other idiots calling for the removal of those benefits pay for their stupidity.. I hope it does, negatively.. and by a huge amount. I also hope Arizona takes a huge financial hit. Maybe then they'll realize how stupid they were to put a their opposition to homosexual couples ahead of the state's economic needs.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Damn this woman is narrow-minded. She won't be happy until her state has nothing but straight, white christians.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Brewer's decision to ask the U.S. Supreme Court to eliminate health-care benefits for state employees' same-sex partners.

I understand fighting for the religious term marriage, but to actively deny equal protection under the law? A bridge too far.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
It appears on the surface that Brewer and Horne have just set up the perfect test case for the Supreme Court. A bad strategy for them long term.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
233 people are costing 1.8mil/year? I think that is the problem... Health care costs

$1,800,000 divided by 230 works out to an average of $7800/yr. No, that's not some insane amount of money for health care costs. That's a bargain, considering that health care costs the average American family $20,000 per year.

Last edited:

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
And is that registry used by the state of Arizona to determine who gets domestic partner benefits?

I don't know, but according to this article: http://www.azcentral.com/news/elect...3arizona-domestic-parter-benefits-ruling.html

The article mentioned above said:
Arizona spends about $3 million annually on domestic-partner benefits, a fraction of the $625 million spent on benefits for all employees. Gay and lesbian couples are said to represent a small minority of the 893 domestic partners who participated in the plan in 2009-10.

I'd say that yes, both hetero and homosexual couples receive domestic partner benefits.

Last edited:

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
the article said:
McFall said about 30 percent of the people who relocate to Arizona are gay. His figures are gleaned from marketing companies and company research.
Uhhh what? This just sounds wrong. Why would gay people want to move to Arizona?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
If they are doing away with benefits for ALL domestic partners, then it is not a problem...but only some is wrong.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
wow...trying to strip HC bennies from state workers because they are gay

thats some real HATE goin on right there people.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne asked the high court to weigh in, saying eliminating the benefits "furthers the state's interest in promoting marriage."

Wait a minute. Why is the state promoting marriage? Last I looked the Republicans were against Michele Obama suggesting that eating healthy was a legitimate interest of government. Santorum was against the President even suggesting that a college degree was a good thing.

I wish these damn Republicans would get their story straight.

Oh, and if you were going to start a business would you want to do it in a state that will make it more difficult to hire the best employees? If you are gay or have a foreign accent you would have to be crazy to want to move to Arizona to take a job where you would be a second class citizen.

Though I suspect thats Brewers plan. By making Arizona famous as the hate state she hopes to get rid of those pesky gays, liberals and foreign born Americans. Just means more votes for Republicans.

epidemis

Jun 6, 2007
Didn't national news sources prognosticate death and economic destruction of AZ if they enacted the immigration reform? :O

@OrByte

It's not hate, it's simply deciding which group to grant benefits. I don't see your outrage (over the fact) that singles are descriminated against.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Didn't national news sources prognosticate death and economic destruction of AZ if they enacted the immigration reform? :O

@OrByte

It's not hate, it's simply deciding which group to grant benefits. I don't see your outrage (over the fact) that singles are descriminated against.

It is way too soon for the immigration reform (wrong way to put it, but I know what you mean) to have effects on the economy.

Uh, deciding which groups to grant benefits to? Oh, you mean like lets give white people health insurance, and non whites no health insurance?

And, in what way is Brewer discriminating agianst singles?

Nov 29, 2006
$1,800,000 divided by 230 works out to an average of $7800/yr. No, that's not some insane amount of money for health care costs. That's a bargain, considering that health care costs the average American family $20,000 per year.

Thanks. I was on the pot when i typed that so i messed up the math in my head. Carry on :)

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Though I suspect thats Brewers plan. By making Arizona famous as the hate state she hopes to get rid of those pesky gays, liberals and foreign born Americans. Just means more votes for Republicans.

That's not how it typically works. I expect them to be !@#$ canned next election. Backlash is typically quite potent.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
It is way too soon for the immigration reform (wrong way to put it, but I know what you mean) to have effects on the economy.

Uh, deciding which groups to grant benefits to? Oh, you mean like lets give white people health insurance, and non whites no health insurance?

And, in what way is Brewer discriminating agianst singles?

Providing benefits for the spouses of married people or domestic partners is clearly discrimination against singles.

Imagine if married person was paid and extra $5000. That is basically the same as extending health insurance benefits to their spouse.

Feb 10, 2000
I have relatives in Arizona and I think much of the state is beautiful, but Jan Brewer makes it hard for me to travel there. This effort on her part to deny health benefits to monogamous gay couples is really distasteful and immoral IMO.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
That's unfortunate since I like to visit parts of Arizona every year or two. Sedona and Bisbee mostly.

If Jan doesn't want my money who am I to force it on the state. More time spent on the coasts or in Europe then.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

OK...so it's not hate its just Positive Affirmation and Accomodation of one group over another based on.... ?

?

I don't get your reference to singles.