AZ Corporation Commission responds to LA's AZ Boycott - Shut OFF their Power

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
hope this isn't a dupe - looks like more of AZ is growing a pair:

Dear Mayor Villaraigosa,

I was dismayed to learn that the Los Angeles City Council voted to boycott Arizona and Arizona-based companies — a vote you strongly supported — to show opposition to SB 1070 (Support our Law Enforcement and Safe Neighborhoods Act).

You explained your support of the boycott as follows: “While we recognize that as neighbors, we share resources and ties with the State of Arizona that may be difficult to sever, our goal is not to hurt the local economy of Los Angeles, but to impact the economy of Arizona. Our intent is to use our dollars — or the withholding of our dollars — to send a message.” (emphasis added)

I received your message; please receive mine. As a state-wide elected member of the Arizona Corporation Commission overseeing Arizona’s electric and water utilities, I too am keenly aware of the “resources and ties” we share with the City of Los Angeles. In fact, approximately twenty-five percent of the electricity consumed in Los Angeles is generated by power plants in Arizona.

If an economic boycott is truly what you desire, I will be happy to encourage Arizona utilities to renegotiate your power agreements so Los Angeles no longer receives any power from Arizona-based generation. I am confident that Arizona’s utilities would be happy to take those electrons off your hands. If, however, you find that the City Council lacks the strength of its convictions to turn off the lights in Los Angeles and boycott Arizona power, please reconsider the wisdom of attempting to harm Arizona’s economy.

People of goodwill can disagree over the merits of SB 1070. A state-wide economic boycott of Arizona is not a message sent in goodwill.

Sincerely,

Commissioner Gary Pierce

http://www.azcc.gov/commissioners/Pierce/Documents/5-18-10.pdf

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Better yet I'd like to see them take the initiative to jack up the electricity rates for California residents! What are they going to do, not pay?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I AZ does it.

But I guess that legal contracts will keep the lights from going off.

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
Better yet I'd like to see them take the initiative to jack up the electricity rates for California residents! What are they going to do, not pay?

if enron did it, guess AZ could too, then tax it and poof, no more AZ budget issue :awe:

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
if enron did it, guess AZ could too, then tax it and poof, no more AZ budget issue :awe:
We allow OPEC to do this to us, so let's see Arizona do it to California!

All it would take is a single day, or heck just a single hour of power shut off to send California in to panic.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Unfortunately for AZ, nobody in LA county is interested in renegotiating their power contracts.

Freshgeardude

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2006
I commend the Commissioner. They have every right to turn off the power if California will be boycotting them

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
Arizona is on a roll. With all those illegals immigrating to California and sucking dry every last resource, I think Cali may fall into the ocean. Then the horde will make its way north to the other liberal bastion...Washington.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Epic if they do it.

Arizona has moved into my top 5 greatest states in the Union due to these recent events.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Would I be wrong in assuming AZ receives money for these services from California?

Seems like more barking from little dogs....

/ya gonna bark all day, or are ya going to bite.....

Last edited:

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Would I be wrong in assuming AZ receives money for these services from California?

Seems like more barking from little dogs....

/ya gonna bark all day, or are ya going to bite.....

They aint no bite in the boycott. Why give it any?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
silly. We have already worked out a deal with Mexico to supply us with the electricity we need.

dammitgibs

Jan 31, 2009
so_much_win_graphic.png

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
dammitgibs said:
So Much Win

of what? Let them do it, or let them shut the fuck up......

\more loud talking "conservatives" not putting their money where their mouth is...
\\please AZ, do it....

Last edited:

dammitgibs

Jan 31, 2009
of what? Let them do it, or let them shut the fuck up......

\more loud talking "conservatives" not putting their money where their mouth is...
\\please AZ, do it....

Wow it's just a letter, I doubt it will come to that but it's nice to see AZ lording it over LA that they need them. I'm sorry you're so upset that I get so much enjoyment out of seeing this. chill bra

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Wow it's just a letter, I doubt it will come to that but it's nice to see AZ lording it over LA that they need them. I'm sorry you're so upset that I get so much enjoyment out of seeing this. chill bra

? Then it's a pussy point letter then, isn't it....

\it's not like AZ needs the money from CA....