AZ bans race exclusive classes and teaching solidarity

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
They are aimed primarily towards "Chicano Studies" type classes. I attended one of these classes while in college (mainly out of curiosity) and found it to be the equivalent of a Hispanic "Madrassa". Right off the bat, the professor started talking about how the western US was stolen from Mexico and how "We", the Hispanic people need to unite and take it back by ANY MEANS NECESSARY. He also spoke about how the weak and evil white man should not be trusted and is out the destroy our great race. In the few days that I was in that class, I heard nothing but hate speech and was pressured to join La Raza (don't even get me started on that group).
You may be able to argue that people have a right to attend these classes, but not on my dime. That is what private schools are for. You don't see Jewish studies in public schools do you?

Wow, seriously?? That has no place at a university much less a public grade school. If the law properly prevents this kind of teaching, good. But the potential for misuse is scary.

Last edited:

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
So SMALL GOVERNMENT crowd is for BIG STATE government?
I was under impression they would want as local of control of government as possible.

Yeah senseamp, you got it. A state saying classes for a certain race are not to be allowed anymore is "BIG STATE government". Get real man

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
I was under impression they would want as local of control of government as possible.

Well shit... I thought it was OK for a state to set their educational standards and discourage race-based curriculum. Silly me, thanks Sherlock.

Every post you make is an exemplar of a bed-wetting douche with no real world experience. Continue please.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Yeah senseamp, you got it. A state saying classes for a certain race are not to be allowed anymore is "BIG STATE government". Get real man

Where does it say that ethnic studies classes are for a certain race? I had a white friend in college take African American studies as elective, no problem. My brother took Chicano studies in college too, he's Caucasian. It's just a different perspective, no need to be paranoid about it.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Wow, seriously?? That has no place at a university much less a public grade school. If the law properly prevents this kind of teaching, good. But the potential for misuse is scary.

This surprises you? Have you been hiding under a rock? Normally I wouldn't ask these kinds of questions but you've been so judgmental in these threads and one report and all of a sudden you're a changed man? Sheesh.

Last edited:

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

We realize that in your undeveloped mind this must be some kind of "gotcha". but it's not.