Ayers interview on TV

mooseracing

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2006
article

It's a long read...but I found this part to be the best.

He also disputed whether the actions of the Weather Underground could be considered terrorism: "In trying to end [the war], we did cross lines of propriety, of legality, maybe even of common sense. But we never committed terror."

Ayers also remained unapologetic for his actions during that time.

How does he expect people to beleive anything else he said in the interview if his organization did bombings, and he doesn't beleive it's terroism?

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
What does his interpretation of the WU 's actions have to do with him being truthful or not?

mxyzptlk

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
My understanding of terrorism is to achieve political goals by means of violence and I don't see how bombing empty buildings somehow falls short of that.. But whatever, it's just a word and I can also see why no one would ever consider themselves to be terrorist. Revolutionary/terrorist.. it's all a matter of PR.

What seemed important was that his connection to Obama really wasn't all that the McCain campaign was trying to make it out to be. It seemed more like he barely knew the guy.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I knew there was a "catch" to this thread.

"Terrorism" is a funny thing. I don't know the details of the various actions the WUcarried out, but what if no one was "Terrorized"? Simply blowing shit up does not mean others respond by cowering in fear.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I don't know. Sarah Palin doesn't think abortion clinic bombers are terrorists.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: mxyzptlk
My understanding of terrorism is to achieve political goals by means of violence and I don't see how bombing empty buildings somehow falls short of that.. But whatever, it's just a word and I can also see why no one would ever consider themselves to be terrorist. Revolutionary/terrorist.. it's all a matter of PR.

What seemed important was that his connection to Obama really wasn't all that the McCain campaign was trying to make it out to be. It seemed more like he barely knew the guy.

Uhhh so since the terrorists(who says he isn't) says it's a myth...it's just a myth? puhleeze...

mxyzptlk

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Uhhh so since the terrorists(who says he isn't) says it's a myth...it's just a myth? puhleeze...

well where is the connection then besides they just knew each other? I mean that was all that was ever offered by the McCain campaign. Where is the proof of an Obama Ayers collusion on.. well.. anything? What nefarious scheme are they working together on? Why should I be alarmed that Obama knows this somewhat (in)famous guy from his neighborhood?

Everyone acknowledges that they knew each other and how. What does it mean? Where does it go? Is President Obama going to carry out the WeatherUnderground's mission to blow up the pentagon?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

well where is the connection then besides they just knew each other? I mean that was all that was ever offered by the McCain campaign. Where is the proof of an Obama Ayers collusion on.. well.. anything? What nefarious scheme are they working together on? Why should I be alarmed that Obama knows this somewhat (in)famous guy from his neighborhood?

Everyone acknowledges that they knew each other and how. What does it mean? Where does it go? Is President Obama going to carry out the WeatherUnderground's mission to blow up the pentagon?

Uhhh... my point was that people seem to believe a terrorist that doesn't think that blowing up buildings and killing cops is terrorism when he says it's a "myth". It may very well be nothing more than the ever changing story the BHO camp has offered but it's ridiculous to believe Ayers.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Uhhh... my point was that people seem to believe a terrorist that doesn't think that blowing up buildings and killing cops is terrorism when he says it's a "myth". It may very well be nothing more than the ever changing story the BHO camp has offered but it's ridiculous to believe Ayers.

Again, what does his belief in his 'cause' have to do with his truthfulness? Both side of this alleged 'relationship' have stated it is being overstated. Where is the evidence to prove them wrong?

dyna

Oct 20, 2006
This is like the saying that every prisoner will say they are innocent.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Robor

Again, what does his belief in his 'cause' have to do with his truthfulness? Both side of this alleged 'relationship' have stated it is being overstated. Where is the evidence to prove them wrong?

His belief in his cause has nothing to do with it. It's the fact that he doesn't view his ACTIONS as terrorism which they clearly were. Not to mention that his group DID in fact kill people despite his claim to the contrary. So blindly accepting his story is laughable - he has no credibility at all.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
No, I have to agree with Ayers making the distinction he did. And in some ways its the difference between a war and or political protest, and terrorism. In a war or a political protest, one has a clear objective, know and identify who the enemy is and who is not, and then target just that enemy. While killing may be somewhat a final test of a full blown war, there is a fine line between mere civil disobedience and major property damage.

Terrorism targets the whole society, which is, in terrorist eyes, so rotten that it must be torn down because its past all hope of reform. And once torn down, it can be rebuilt on sounder principles is the usually never achieved goal. And thus the means is to make everything a legitimate target, not only the power structure, but any and all people who co operate with it. Which includes the civilian population. And the very randomness of the violence is the message, kill one, terrorize a thousand. No one is safe.

I would remind everyone, the very fellow the British labeled a terrorists became our nation's first President. And by using totally non violent means, a little 5 foot nothing fellow named Gandhi beat the mighty British military machine with nothing more lethal than a hand held spinning wheel. And if Ayers played a role in getting us out of Vietnam, he can't be all bad.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: techs
I don't know. Sarah Palin doesn't think abortion clinic bombers are terrorists.

I have bad news for you, techs. The election is over. No longer can Sarah Palin be your get of of jail free card anytime you're pressed to the wall.

Ayers is an idiot. He committed terrorist acts. Period, case closed, the fat lady has sung.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
I hear he's coming for you next. You'd better hide.

No problem, I have a little friend I would love to introduce him to.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
the GMA interview was painful. At the end of it I still didn't know WHY it is GMA decided to interview the guy to begin with.

villageidiot111

Platinum Member
Jul 19, 2004
Terrorism is in the eye of the beholder. Certain founders of this country could be considered terrorists from England's perspective.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
As long as nobody is in the abortion clinic when it's bombed, that's not terrorism either. Got it.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: alchemize
As long as nobody is in the abortion clinic when it's bombed, that's not terrorism either. Got it.

Pretty much, but it's still Arson, Vandalism, and probably a long list of other things.

edit: That said, none of us are the DA, so your actual experience may vary.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: sandorski

Pretty much, but it's still Arson, Vandalism, and probably a long list of other things.
Yup. Or the doctor's home!

Heck, you can put a gun against the doctor's child's head, pull the trigger in front of him. But as long as there's no bullets in the gun, that's not terrorism.

Boy it's fun to play with left wing nuance. Let's keep going!

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

DAMN! YOU'RE A FUCKING MORON! When someone sets off a bomb, there's always the chance someone will be caught up in it. Did you know that Ayres' girlfriend at the time was killed in an accidental explosion when they were building their bombs?

Maybe we could go with your views if only those who condone terrorism when it's practiced by such "freedom fighters"... you know... idiots like YOU... are the only ones unintentionally caught in the blast. In fact, maybe it would be considered as an environmental cleanup project, and we could give the bombers credit for community service. :roll:

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Harvey

DAMN! YOU'RE A FUCKING MORON! When someone sets off a bomb, there's always the chance someone will be caught up in it. Did you know that Ayres' girlfriend at the time was killed in an accidental explosion when they were building their bombs?

Maybe we could go with your views if only those who condone terrorism when it's practiced by such "freedom fighters"... you know... idiots like YOU... are the only ones unintentionally caught in the blast. In fact, maybe it would be considered as an environmental cleanup project, and we could give the bombers credit for community service. :roll:
Shouldn't you be targeting your rage at Sandorski who appears to concur with my sarcasm? (and you might want to tap your meter). Or perhaps Ayers, who carries the same sick opinion?

Not the brightest pixel on the screen, are you?